Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can Tesla survive, with single phase charging clients?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We can go over and over this. There is nothing special on three-phase charging. Tesla already thinks there is a market for 20kW charging, 3-phase 32A/400V is 20kW of power, just getting into the car on a different way. Instead of pulling 20kW from 1-phase, you do so from 3-phases. Simple.

I think we should stay off this topic until I get a response from Tesla on my letter.

Guys, the letter has gone in and the message should have been received. Nothing productive will come from another rant thread.

Tesla now have to get the car out in North American markets and then use successive time to get a European charging solution made.

I think we should stay off this topic until I get a response from Tesla on my letter.

I agree except possibly the more buzz we create the more likely Tesla will stop underestimating the importance of 3ph. We are only speculating on the level of support based on the new plug and discouraging comments from a few Tesla engineers.

As for the notion that the EV market is smaller in Europe than in the States, I would think the opposite is true (just a guess). Especially after reading the OP. My state supposedly has the highest number of Roadster sales per capita in the US (I haven't confirmed the actual data). But it's still only 60% of the rate in Switzerland where the car is much more expensive. I see the point about 3ph market vs overall market, but still.

I agree except possibly the more buzz we create the more likely Tesla will stop underestimating the importance of 3ph. We are only speculating on the level of support based on the new plug and discouraging comments from a few Tesla engineers.

As for the notion that the EV market is smaller in Europe than in the States, I would think the opposite is true (just a guess). Especially after reading the OP. My state supposedly has the highest number of Roadster sales per capita in the US (I haven't confirmed the actual data). But it's still only 60% of the rate in Switzerland where the car is much more expensive. I see the point about 3ph market vs overall market, but still.

"sales per capita" is irrelevant to profitability (which is what ultimately decides whether a feature is included into a product). It's important to show Tesla that the overall demand for 3-phase is sizable enough that it'll allow them to recoup any R&D and overhead costs to make a 3-phase capable connector and on-board charger.

I think Eberhard got the gist that Tesla plans to use the offboard DC charger to satisfy any 3-phase demand. That'll only work if they make one that is portable/affordable. But that is still not ideal since that's extra money the customer has to spend and it's not integrated into the car.

Last edited:
I think Eberhard got the gist that Tesla plans to use the offboard DC charger to satisfy any 3-phase demand. That'll only work if they make one that is portable/affordable. But that is still not ideal since that's extra money the customer has to spend and it's not integrated into the car.

If I'm not mistaken, Eberhard was referring to the "Supercharger" DC network which Tesla wants to install. Apparently few if any in Europe believe this will actually happen, and IIRC we haven't yet heard from Tesla directly about its Europe plans, only via Eberhard.

If I'm not mistaken, Eberhard was referring to the "Supercharger" DC network which Tesla wants to install. Apparently few if any in Europe believe this will actually happen, and IIRC we haven't yet heard from Tesla directly about its Europe plans, only via Eberhard.
I remember reading something about using the DC "supercharger" as a home charging unit (since it connects to three-phase). But perhaps I was mistaken.

Anyways, an offboard 3-phase to DC charger is always an option for the Model S. It'll be a lot better though if at least the connector supported 3-phase, so an onboard charger can be possible in the future.

I remember reading something about using the DC "supercharger" as a home charging unit (since it connects to three-phase). But perhaps I was mistaken.

Anyways, an offboard 3-phase to DC charger is always an option for the Model S. It'll be a lot better though if at least the connector supported 3-phase, so an onboard charger can be possible in the future.

Charging at home is not the problem. There i have overnight enough time to charge on single phase. If i am on road and having business meeting, i can charge at an 16A or 32A 3-ph socket, i could double my charging speed, if the second optional charger would be connected to a different phases or even triple with an 3rd onboard charger. Any external charger will be more heavy and bulky than that and therefore no alternative to 3-phase.

Last edited:
i think that not everybody is traveling 300miles+ everyday and has to charge his battery from near empty over night. Mostly topping off for less than 100miles will be more common. For this need, even 110V/120V would be enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.