Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can this be....?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 is my daily driver. My round trip to/from work is about 61/62 miles, give or take a few tenths, and I'm overly anal and actually record several statistics on my car on a daily basis, i.e. miles in the am when I leave, miles when I arrive at work, kw's, and the same in the evening, except in the evening I also record total (speedo) miles. I've done this since the car was delivered to my home. Yeah, I know, but I figured this may give me good and bad trend data and serve as an alert should any of the values stray wildly from the norm, like yesterday and today.

Last Thursday my miles ended at 4,895 and on Friday my miles ended at 4,956 for a daily total of 61 miles. On Monday I recorded total miles of 5,022, for a total miles driven for the day of 66 miles (I drove to lunch). On Tuesday it ended at 5,084, for a daily total of 62 miles. Wednesday my total miles were 5,129 for a daily total of ... 45 miles :eek:. Tonight when I arrived at home my miles were 5,182, for a daily total of 53 miles :eek:, I also drove to lunch today. Now, nothing changed, I still drove to/from work both days and both days should have totaled 61 to 62 miles, except for the added miles today for a lunch trip, but it didn't and I don't understand why.

How do our Teslas record total miles driven?

How do our Teslas record total miles driven?
Poorly...apparently.

Some questions that may shed some light:

Are you using odometer or trip meter to track reported miles? (might make a difference)
Is the Wh used consistent with the real miles or the reported miles?
Is the Wh/mi consistent with the real miles or the reported miles?

And stop going out to lunch, it's adding noise to the data!

I would have said human error too, but the fact that you have a bunch of extra days on the back end where the numbers work makes it unlikely that you just fat fingered a day. Curious, but I do still think it's less likely that an odometer is wrong. Who knows though, keep tracking. And spend $50 for a year of TeslaFi.

Unless you've discovered an (illegal) bug

Given Tesla’s software QC record, I would not be entirely shocked if it did turn out to be a bug. Lord, that would be a heckuva fiasco trying to rectify that.

Sometimes sensors fail, though, so it could be that too.

Yeah, I know, but I figured this may give me good and bad trend data and serve as an alert should any of the values stray wildly from the norm, like yesterday and today.

Maybe set up a test with known distances like a highway with mile markers.