Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can this be....?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you sign up for Teslafi? I think it's free for a short time to test out.

Teslafi will give show you every journey you take once it's enabled. It's awesome for people who like data.

I don't have any answers for you. You didn't mention doing any updates so I don't think its a bug that was introduced.

I would suggest double checking the odometer using the app. Make sure the app, and the car correspond. Then I'd try doing a reboot to see if that doesn't fix it.

My understanding is there are all kinds of rules about odometer accuracy.

This does remind me of the Odometer issue on my Boosted Rev.

I was range testing it where I was using the odometer it has to determine the miles I went versus how much charge it used. It seemed great, but things weren't adding up when accounting for the time I spent on it. Like I would have had to be traveling at 30mph to accomplish the distance it said.

Then I did more testing and realized it was over reporting miles by 2x or more.

I googled the issue and I saw reports of this as far back as August.

I reported the glitch and they said they already knew about it, and were working on a fix.

It still isn't fixed.

I use Excel, not pictures, but I will take a screenshot tomorrow when I get home, just for you :p

Before and after! And I guess if it checks out (problem seems intermittent?), you have to keep taking pictures until you reproduce the issue.

The only thing I can think of is what someone sort of suggested earlier - you have multiple similar trip odometers in addition to the standard odometer and somehow the numbers are getting mixed up... Or it is just some sort of weird bug, of course - but seems unlikely given the inconsistency.

Yeah, my initial question would be the #s you're pulling - the 'real' odometer reading at the bottom of the card, or are you just summing the trip counters? There could be rounding errors - but that'd be like 1-2 miles/week difference and lost in the noise. If you're not, I'd suggest to track the actual odometer too.

BTW, I admit I also track data in a sheet. I've done this for decades with ICE cards each time I refueled - the data was quite helpful to see seasonal trends. For the Tesla, I mostly record the miles, Wh/mi, outside temp, and if HVAC is on. Only a month of data so far, but it's obvious (as it was in my previous car) that my efficiency into work in the AM is way better than efficiency home. Definitely encourage you to keep tracking data!

My Model 3 is my daily driver. My round trip to/from work is about 61/62 miles, give or take a few tenths, and I'm overly anal and actually record several statistics on my car on a daily basis, i.e. miles in the am when I leave, miles when I arrive at work, kw's, and the same in the evening, except in the evening I also record total (speedo) miles. I've done this since the car was delivered to my home. Yeah, I know, but I figured this may give me good and bad trend data and serve as an alert should any of the values stray wildly from the norm, like yesterday and today.

Last Thursday my miles ended at 4,895 and on Friday my miles ended at 4,956 for a daily total of 61 miles. On Monday I recorded total miles of 5,022, for a total miles driven for the day of 66 miles (I drove to lunch). On Tuesday it ended at 5,084, for a daily total of 62 miles. Wednesday my total miles were 5,129 for a daily total of ... 45 miles :eek:. Tonight when I arrived at home my miles were 5,182, for a daily total of 53 miles :eek:, I also drove to lunch today. Now, nothing changed, I still drove to/from work both days and both days should have totaled 61 to 62 miles, except for the added miles today for a lunch trip, but it didn't and I don't understand why.

How do our Teslas record total miles driven?

Trust me, the car drives better, the battery has more charge, and the battery lasts longer when you don't worry about it.
Also, this significantly helps the blood pressure and increases life longevity.

ImI at 30,000 miles in my Model 3 and the battery still charges to 100%. And as my third EV, I just drive the car and fill as needed at home

Reminds me of the 88 Chevy Corsica I had while in high school, if you accellerated hard the odometer would skip backwards about 10 km if you did it right before the last digit would hit 0, the numbers didn't like to spin to fast. Definitely helped out when needing to extend the time between oil changes.

• Funny
Reactions: bedoig
You forgot to deduct all the miles from when you were backing up in reverse.

Everyone knows when a car drives in reverse it takes miles off the odometer.

19192EEE-4FD2-4A05-A6EA-955A046DC001.gif

• Funny
Reactions: CrayZ1 and DrtyJrze
Trust me, the car drives better, the battery has more charge, and the battery lasts longer when you don't worry about it.

ImI at 30,000 miles in my Model 3 and the battery still charges to 100%. And as my third EV, I just drive the car and fill as needed at home
Absolutely agree with this. This is how we treat it. Works perfectly.

This^^^^^
A few weeks after I got my car my full range went from 310 to 293. Even though I knew others experienced this, I was stressed and worried that I had a lemon. I tried all of the recommended tricks to no avail. Finally I just said to forget it and enjoy the car. A few weeks after that I noticed my 80% charge was creeping up every time I plugged it in. Eventually I had to go to 100% a few times and it's now resting comfortably in the 308-310 range.

Reminds me of the 88 Chevy Corsica I had while in high school, if you accellerated hard the odometer would skip backwards about 10 km if you did it right before the last digit would hit 0, the numbers didn't like to spin to fast. Definitely helped out when needing to extend the time between oil changes.

I had a late model truck that if you put it in neutral at a stop and rev'd it past 2500 rpm, it would indicate you were moving up to 8 mph. Software bug based on sensors in the automatic locking converter not being interpreted correctly.

Sidebar - Many modern cars will accumulate mileage when driven in reverse.

Tire or wheel change (including (very) substantial inflation pressure changes) will also do this if the car meters based on axle rotation. Also could be a failing rotation sensor not triggering and causing low count. But that should also trigger a "Needs Service" indicator on the display as the GPS speed and axle sensor speed would not match for extended periods. Should being a relative term.

If you haven't changed tires or wheels, go to a trip odometer, reset it at specific markers, and then drive a known distance in two controlled conditions:
1: Low speed, like 45 MPH or less in general.
2: High freeway speeds, 55 or over (Like sometimes 90 in CA when traffic isn't obliterated...)

Plan the route and distance using mapping software and if possible, use mile markers on the freeway to get real distance. In some cities, blocks can be used as a good measure. Two trips clockwise around Mile Square Park in Fountain Valley for example is a great odometer test.
Each route should be at least four to five miles.

If you see an undercounting of 10% or more, schedule service and track the way to trigger the undercount. IIRC, Tesla can also pull some vehicle records that will compare GPS distance to sensor distance and they should be able to get things fixed.

That sensor is considered a low-cost, high failure rate sensor in the automotive industry, so things like this are not unusual.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
My Model 3 is my daily driver. My round trip to/from work is about 61/62 miles, give or take a few tenths, and I'm overly anal and actually record several statistics on my car on a daily basis, i.e. miles in the am when I leave, miles when I arrive at work, kw's, and the same in the evening, except in the evening I also record total (speedo) miles. I've done this since the car was delivered to my home. Yeah, I know, but I figured this may give me good and bad trend data and serve as an alert should any of the values stray wildly from the norm, like yesterday and today.

Last Thursday my miles ended at 4,895 and on Friday my miles ended at 4,956 for a daily total of 61 miles. On Monday I recorded total miles of 5,022, for a total miles driven for the day of 66 miles (I drove to lunch). On Tuesday it ended at 5,084, for a daily total of 62 miles. Wednesday my total miles were 5,129 for a daily total of ... 45 miles :eek:. Tonight when I arrived at home my miles were 5,182, for a daily total of 53 miles :eek:, I also drove to lunch today. Now, nothing changed, I still drove to/from work both days and both days should have totaled 61 to 62 miles, except for the added miles today for a lunch trip, but it didn't and I don't understand why.

How do our Teslas record total miles driven?

Do you have access to an ICE car? It would be interesting to test it and compare.