Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Can We Make TMC More Fun?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to post this at the end of this thread, but my suggestion to make this forum more fun would be to have better help.
1) I couldn't figure out how to change my picture until I searched here and found the many posts asking the same question. 12 posts?!?
2) I hope this get answered, I can't figure out how to "like" or "dislike" posts. Could it be my browser (latest Firefox on Mac)?

2) I hope this get answered, I can't figure out how to "like" or "dislike" posts. Could it be my browser (latest Firefox on Mac)?
I use Chrome on a Macintosh and a Chromebook.

The icons are hard to see unless your pointer is within the rectangle of the message post. They are in the bottom right corner, just above the 'Quote' and 'Reply' buttons.

Sorry to post this at the end of this thread, but my suggestion to make this forum more fun would be to have better help.
1) I couldn't figure out how to change my picture until I searched here and found the many posts asking the same question. 12 posts?!?
Changing your avatar or making like/dislkes may well take more posts... At least having some minimal amount of posts on other forums unlocks similar capabilities, including custom signatures, etc. I don't know the numbers here as I don't believe the admins have built a user guide with that sort of detail beyond the basic forum rules sticky at the top of this forum. UNfortunately, some limitations for new users are put in place by admins on most forums because of trolls and bots that otherwise ruin it for most users with spam and unsolicited advertisements and redirects that are contrary to advertisers that pay to support the site.

One idea is to consider jumping into one of the welcome or photography threads, and start making a few more comments to boost your post count to say 10 or 25, and see if things unlock for you. Good luck. ...and BTW, welcome to the forum!

Changing your avatar or making like/dislkes may well take more posts... At least having some minimal amount of posts on other forums unlocks similar capabilities, including custom signatures, etc. I don't know the numbers here as I don't believe the admins have built a user guide with that sort of detail beyond the basic forum rules sticky at the top of this forum. UNfortunately, some limitations for new users are put in place by admins on most forums because of trolls and bots that otherwise ruin it for most users with spam and unsolicited advertisements and redirects that are contrary to advertisers that pay to support the site.

One idea is to consider jumping into one of the welcome or photography threads, and start making a few more comments to boost your post count to say 10 or 25, and see if things unlock for you. Good luck. ...and BTW, welcome to the forum!
Thanx. just picked up my MX 90D on Monday. I long for the days when I buy some thing and I don't spend lifetimes reading forums to "get the most of it". This forum, although overall helpful, has been amusing and frightening at the same time.

I use Chrome on a Macintosh and a Chromebook.

The icons are hard to see unless your pointer is within the rectangle of the message post. They are in the bottom right corner, just above the 'Quote' and 'Reply' buttons.
just found them in the bottom right and I "liked" your post. First time for everything.

John Oliver just made a joke about "not liking a post at 3am" [because it makes you seems envious and creepy. I'll tried to remember than here :)

• Funny
Reactions: BertL
I do agree with earlier comments about the repetitiveness of posts - the questions and arguments that we have covered in the Model S forums are being re-discovered/re-litgated in the Model X and no doubt the Model 3 forums. I am not sure how to address that--even if we move to general topic categories (i.e. charging), unless folks see their topic on the first screen or two, they will just start another thread.

There should certainly be a spot for new owners to ask any questions they have without restrictions but I would also like a spot safe from having to debunk the long tailpipe again or one more thread on how to fix supercharging or why we should have solar panels on the car roof. :)

I do agree with earlier comments about the repetitiveness of posts - the questions and arguments that we have covered in the Model S forums are being re-discovered/re-litgated in the Model X and no doubt the Model 3 forums.
I think this is a natural progression. There's the old guard, and along those lines I think of people like @bonnie, @AnOutsider, @TEG, @NigelM, @stopcrazypp, etc (there's a much longer list, this was just my quick and dirty.. no offense to those left off). Then there's the next round, which includes latecomers to Model S and newcomers to Model X (and probably me and you, @omarsultan). And following the current wave will be the Model 3 enthusiasts. And yes, they'll rehash a lot of things that have already been hashed ;). But most of the time as humans we need to talk or think things through, and that's part of being in a discussion. So it's not going to be interesting to those of us who have been through it already, but for newcomers, it's a discovery phase. Most people aren't interested in just reading an old conversation. They want to be engaged in the conversation about it with their contemporaries - even if the outcome is the same.

I don't think it's realistic to expect the old or even current guard to stay interested in the broad, generally repetitive arguments here. However, I do think for those of us who want it to "stay fun", we can move on to other topics that are appealing to EV/Tesla enthusiasts and haven't yet been exhausted here on TMC. I've seen some of that already with @bonnie's work with legislation related to Tesla.

It'll be interesting to see how things evolve around here. Hopefully the value proposition remains strong.

I don't think it's realistic to expect the old or even current guard to stay interested in the broad, generally repetitive arguments here. However, I do think for those of us who want it to "stay fun", we can move on to other topics that are appealing to EV/Tesla enthusiasts and haven't yet been exhausted here on TMC. I've seen some of that already with @bonnie's work with legislation related to Tesla.

Legislators & the dealership lobby haven't figured out yet how to send me to Snippiness. It's awesome. :)

When Tapatalk support was lost, it made the forum less accessible, as did restricting the view to a small number of posts per page. Making the site more accessible might bring back some of the fun (& long threads will be less of a chore!) and reintroduce the dynamic of being able to easily post about stuff as it happens. Just my 2c.

From my experience, I agree that some amount of repeated threads from newbies and people that just don't want to search is inevitable as time goes on. What can be done though, IMHO is:
  • Even more aggressive work by Mods (and I appreciate they already have a thankless job -- really!!!) to proactively consolidate threads and sidebars of similar subjects. Allowing duplicate threads to exist and grow too long, makes it a little more agitating to the old timers as rehash occurs.
  • If old timers to TMC see a rehashed subject: try to politely say "this has been covered before", give the pointer to the old thread if readily available, and then provide a 100K-level answer, I think that goes a long way allowing Mods to rapidly close the dupe thread or consolidate it back to the original where it belongs as they do their sweeps across forum activity.
  • I'd suggest Mods create a closed-to-new-posts-from-the-general-populous FAQ at the top of each forum in a Q&A sort of format (each Q&A is a post) which both gives a quick common answer along with a pointer to the thread where the more complete discussion takes place... That took time for the Mods to initially create and occasionally update, but worked well on another even larger car forum I frequented for many years and helped moderate in more recent times. WIKI did not work for us as it became another source of continual discussion from enthusiasts with differing POV on the detail some times, but a FAQ as the first sticky was something that could be referenced in quick responses with a close to new threads, and was useful to newbies getting oriented to some of the basics across a forum before at least some of them jumped-in.
  • Lastly, I agree that some of the subjects are being rehashed across models and should just have their own common subforums (battery/charging, care/maintenance/detailing, warranty/ESA, etc.). It makes things a whole lot easier in the long run, but is up to the Admin how they desire TMC to be structured, and requires Mods to aggressively move threads where they belong.

• Helpful
Reactions: Andyw2100
As a follow up to my earlier post (#11 in this thread), another general observation:

Most of the membership here at TMC are Tesla fans. Many are Tesla vehicle owners, soon to be owners, or TSLA shareholders. Those of us who are stakeholders in the Tesla "mission" want the company to succeed.

A small minority of members, however, are acknowledged to have shorted TSLA in the past, are currently shorting TSLA, or are encouraging others to short TSLA. They want Tesla to fail, because they will profit from it.

The conflict between the Tesla advocates and detractors gets really nasty, as there is A LOT of money at risk on both sides. Plenty of sharp elbows in the investor's forum today.

So my question is:

How open should TMC be to members who openly want to see Tesla destroyed? I can see the benefit to hearing skeptical views in order to keep expectations real, but I don't see benefit to having people here who spew nonsense for the sole purpose of trying to goad nervous investors into selling the stock (in theory depressing the share price).

Basically, I am OK with someone saying: "the boat may be leaky because of x, y, and z". Legitimate criticism should always play a role in investing. There could conceivably be a time in any company when it makes sense to exit its shares. I am not ok with "I am actively drilling holes in the boat to sink it".

So my question is:

How open should TMC be to members who openly want to see Tesla destroyed? I can see the benefit to hearing skeptical views in order to keep expectations real, but I don't see benefit to having people here who spew nonsense for the sole purpose of trying to goad nervous investors into selling the stock (in theory depressing the share price).
In general, any silliness is called out quickly by other forum members so it's more-or-less self regulating (other than the posts moved to snippiness). Those who have a significant investment in Tesla are unlikely to change their position because of some forum post since they have likely studied Tesla and its prospects in depth before they made the investment.

In general, any silliness is called out quickly by other forum members so it's more-or-less self regulating (other than the posts moved to snippiness)

Based on the torrent of pointless flaming in the investor's forum today (which included some vile insults), I'd say that self regulation isn't working.

Lack of moderation makes the investor's forum less worthwhile to read. It's too bad, because that forum can be a valuable centralized source of company news for those of us who don't trade the stock.