Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor How can XPEL protect your paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

XPEL

Global Vendor
While this video isn't of a Tesla, you certainly share the same feeling of relaxed driving, knowing that the paint on your new vehicle is protected from road damage. The owner of this 2016 Stingray came into XPEL and had the full front end wrapped on his brand new corvette. They came back recently with some bad news...a giant rock had attacked the front end of his car while speeding down the highway. No good!

Luckily, the XPEL ULTIMATE clear bra saved his paints life! Within just a few short minutes we remove the film and wiped away the dirt under the section where the film has ripped and been torn by the rock. We replaced the bumper at the clients' request and he was on his way within a few hours. Could you imagine the bumper without the paint protection film, right in the center of the bumper.

Without further adieu, the video...

To find an installer nearest you, please visit: XPEL Installer Locator

Keep in mind these are what we typically see across the country and it can vary with these factors:
- Where you live
- Demand for paint protection film
- Size of your vehicle

For a partial front end: This includes 18-24” up the hood and fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $895 - $1,195.

For full front coverage: This includes the entire hood and front fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $1,895 - $2,195.

For full car coverage: This includes every painted surface on the car possible. This ranges from $4,500 - $8,000.

When you do find an installer:

- Be sure to ask for wrapped edges where possible (meaning that the film will wrap over the edge of the panel)
- Visit their shop and look at some of their installations they've completed, as certain installers may do things differently
- Exam the installation to see if the visible seams are close the edge of the body panel
- You can ask them if they've wrapped your vehicle before, some installers may have wrapped a few, some may have wrapped a hundred...it's best to find an installer you feel comfortable leaving your pride and joy with.

Hey XPEL,

I thought that going thru the automatic car wash would void XPEL warranty?
Asking for a friend :)

Is that true for a Touchless Car Wash?

We have many customers that have taken their car through automatic car washes and it was okay. It will not void the warranty on XPEL. Although, if your car is not fully wrapped with XPEL ULTIMATE, you may have to worry about the swirl marks on the non-wrapped panels

• Informative
Reactions: RacerX
for the sting ray that you mentioned above, after removing the film, do you have to reapply new film for that whole section and will be considered similar cost for another install?

Thanks

Yes, we would reinstall a new piece of film. The price will vary depending on a few things, location, demand, installer, etc. The corvette stingray bumper is a two piece kit, so the bigger portion of the kit would have to be replaced. Cost may range from 400-600 (again, depending on installer, market, etc)

Attachments

• XPEL Stingray Kit.gif
    XPEL Stingray Kit.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 55
@XPEL - I've noticed that underneath my 60D the wrap is not fully adhered to the black matte plastic. There are raised cones where the wrap has separated. Is this an issue? Will it keep getting worse? I had my car wrapped in late December right after I got it (literally) and the wrap otherwise seems solid.

@XPEL - I've noticed that underneath my 60D the wrap is not fully adhered to the black matte plastic. There are raised cones where the wrap has separated. Is this an issue? Will it keep getting worse? I had my car wrapped in late December right after I got it (literally) and the wrap otherwise seems solid.

We'd recommend taking it to your installer to take a look at it, they will be able to provide the best solution to get it remedied.

iShine,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Our window tint will mesh real well with the Model S and is warrantied against peeling if it ever happens. We offer three different lines of window tint that can help you stay cool. PRIME XR is our top of the line window tint with nano-ceramic technology that blocks 99% of UV rays. PRIME CS is our color stable film and is for the person that isn’t concerned with heat. Lastly, we have our PRIME HP which has a Hybrid Dye Metal construction and offers high heat rejection compared to traditional dyed films. You can explore all these films here on our website and if you have any more questions about this feel free to reach out and let us know.

Cost may range from 400-600 (again, depending on installer, market, etc)

This is why I'm not convinced of the value of PPF.

Full disclosure, I work at a shop that installs ceramic paint protection but does NOT install paint protection film (PPF). We have chosen to not offer PPF despite it's huge profit margins based on the following real-world experiences over 2 decades.

Assuming $400-600 to initially install the protection on the nose of that Vette, then another $400-600 to remove and replace it... all because of one rock impact.
For that kind of money you can get the damaged area repainted at a very high end shop. Plus you wouldn't have to deal with the downside of PPF, namely:
* PPF is less shiny and more "orange peely" and will degrade over time faster than your factory paint. People that can't tell the difference can skip this point, but to discerning clients they'll notice a difference.
* The inevitable seam/edge lines that become more noticeable over time.
* On partial-hood installations it's absolutely worthless due to partial protection, ie Why did you spend money to protect some of the hood? What happens when you remove the PPF to reveal perfect paint underneath (if it doesn't lift your paint off, see next bullet point) but the remainder of the hood has rock chips? What good did it do?
* The potential to lift off the paint when it is removed (does Xpel cover the costs of repainting if that happens?)
* In many instances it is less durable than the factory paint underneath. I've seen many many times where the film is damaged by a light scuff whereas if no PPF where present it could've easily been buffed out, instead now you have the expense of removing and replacing the PPF.

I'm not saying PPF is never a good thing, for example, I like to have it installed on lower rocker panels that inevitably get peppered. Also, the tops of rear bumpers where they get easily scratched from taking stuff in and out of the trunk. These are great areas to apply PPF, and there are select others as the condition warrants.

I just feel overall that PPF is way over hyped because of the huge profits that are made.

Would love to hear the OP's comments and opinions if I'm off base here.

Reactions: Tesseract