Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can you avoid waking up the car when contacting service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. Am wondering if there is a way to avoid waking up the car when contacting service through the app. It seems that every time Service sends a notification for a new message, there is no other way than to go into the app to read it and then, the car wakes up... unless there is a setting that I need to do. Thanks for helping!

Lol! I would not want that… I would be jaleous!

I think Tesla should find a way to manage the notifications apart from the car functionality. They could also send the message in our email box (they already have it in our account), to at least determine if there is an action on our part. Sometimes, it is simply a fyi and does not require further actions. But because we have no other way to find out, this forces us to wake up the car every single time to simply look at that message!

Upvote 0
I'd have to check if it works, but what if you disable remote connect? I know you won't be able to access the car anymore, but you should still be able to contact service and be contacted.
Not sure if that's worth the hassle, but it could be a solution if you don't want the car to wake up.

Upvote 0
Lol! I would not want that… I would be jaleous!

I think Tesla should find a way to manage the notifications apart from the car functionality. They could also send the message in our email box (they already have it in our account), to at least determine if there is an action on our part. Sometimes, it is simply a fyi and does not require further actions. But because we have no other way to find out, this forces us to wake up the car every single time to simply look at that message!
It does do that, but I'm not sure it's really that big a deal, frankly. And there are some many other 'wants' that (to me) would have a much higher priority than this.

Upvote 0
The beauty of the app is precisely to be able to manage the car’s functionality from remote. I love it! I would not want to turn it off simply to accommodate a feature that could be improved for better practicality.
I guess the question would be Why does it bother you? Because the car is using .0001% of the power? It’s not like you have to read the car a bed time story so it will go back to sleep.

Upvote 0
It all hinges on the decision that when you open the app, it presents the main screen with the controls. That screen requires contact with the car, and thus causes the wakeup. The immediate contact is required because:
* Display current interior temp
* Display location
* Display version information
* Display "Parked"
* Display SOC%
* Display picture of vehicle accurately (doors open/closed, charging cable plugged in, etc.)

The only way to allow access to the service related stuff without contacting the car first:
* Change the app to start with a screen, with limited choices and information that does not require remote access
* Make access to the controls require an extra step
* Or move certain stuff to a separate app

From a design perspective, users will, most likely, use the app most of the time to access the control functions, and not the service stuff. So their current choice makes sense.

As others have said: a wakeup, briefly, and going back to sleep does not impose on the overall SOC much.

Upvote 0
I guess the question would be Why does it bother you? Because the car is using .0001% of the power? It’s not like you have to read the car a bed time story so it will go back to sleep.
Funny, I was wondering the same thing but I doubt it's possible without being implemented in the app.

I'm not sure why the OP would want to avoid waking up the car but I'll share my reason. My car was in service for a few days so waking up the car didn't help preserve the battery. Eventually, it got under 20% and when they charged it, they charged the car to 100%. I thought it's not advisable to fully charge it like that unless you need the extra juice for a long trip. The service people should know that, right? I guess they don't care because one time charge won't' degrade the battery significantly but still... why? Probably it would've lasted enough for them to finish the job so they don't have to charge it.

Anyway, I believe we should have the option to avoid unnecessary energy consumption.

Upvote 0
Like the OP, I don't want to wake my car for no good reason. I use TeslaFi when I want to see my charge level without waking the car up for example. I will not be using the charging stats for the same reason. Unfortunately, the service functionality is not part of the (un)documented REST api. We can hope that you don't need service often enough for this to really be a problem.

Upvote 0