Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can you confirm you got delivered a P3D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is this different than unlocking EAP after you buy your car??

You have a point there. It could be similar but different enough to be a pain. Bottom line, I don't think Tesla offers this as @SD_Engnr says the parts are actually physically different so its not all software was theorized before.

I believed it was all software but I have to change what I believe to be facts as new information comes in.

Yeah there are plenty of reason to not get it.

One other reason I didn't get the $5k optional package is because they weren't exactly clear on what it included when I ordered. Hard to make a decision based on "red brake calipers" without knowing if they were actually any different.

After getting the car I also have a better understanding that unless you are taking your car to the track the better brakes are pretty much just for looks. The regenerative braking is so strong that I rarely use the brakes other than an emergency situation or the last 5 mph rolling to a stop. Even then I found I'm taking my foot off the brake when i would have in my old manual car, and slowing down way faster than i expected, and then i just roll towards the light and hopefully it goes green before i get there. In an emergency situation i'm pretty sure the tires will slip way before the brakes do, even with better tires...

I also live in an area with a LOT of Teslas. There will be even more Model 3s. Although I think the 20" stock rims look great, I want to buy aftermarket rims and tires so my car isn't lost in a sea of the exact same car.

I also want 18" rims so I can have a separate set for winter tires. Maybe the aeros will offset some of the efficiency loss in cold weather for long trips.

Reactions: 0ptions
Finally took delivery of my performance-but-without-upgrade-package car last week. Simple two-step method to tell you got the right car:

1. Tap the Tesla logo to make sure you got the underline
  2. Do a 0-60 run with the stock MXM4 tires. Should get about 3.5s

This thread has my head spinning. No one can agree on how to tell the difference between a standard AWD and a Performance without the Options. This seems wrong to me that the top of the line 3 (at least the one minus the $5k options) has no differentiating features from the lower end models. I hope Tesla does something about this. It would be hard to walk in to a Mercedes dealership on delivery day of your C63S and say " I wonder if this is really a C63S or could it be a C300?".

This thread has my head spinning. No one can agree on how to tell the difference between a standard AWD and a Performance without the Options. This seems wrong to me that the top of the line 3 (at least the one minus the $5k options) has no differentiating features from the lower end models. I hope Tesla does something about this. It would be hard to walk in to a Mercedes dealership on delivery day of your C63S and say " I wonder if this is really a C63S or could it be a C300?".
Previous posters have mentions at least two main ways to tell - look in the app or on the about screen in the car. Once the badges are ready this will be a total non-issue.

Try asking a non-car enthusiast about the difference of a c300 and a c63amg. I doubt they can tell the difference driving on the road.

I like a sleeper and it should be lighter than the performance +.

They do the same with S and X; they all look the same. It makes them the most money and people keep buying the car like myself. So they have no reason to change their strategy.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA and Petra
Previous posters have mentions at least two main ways to tell - look in the app or on the about screen in the car. Once the badges are ready this will be a total non-issue.

Well until someone gets a P badge and puts it on their SR model.

Or their Honda.

X9RCrbX.jpg

You have a point there. It could be similar but different enough to be a pain. Bottom line, I don't think Tesla offers this as @SD_Engnr says the parts are actually physically different so its not all software was theorized before.

I believed it was all software but I have to change what I believe to be facts as new information comes in.

Did I miss someplace that any evidence was ever presented supporting any physical difference? Because I don't recall ever seeing any.

Quite the opposite Inginerex video under a P in the reddit comments said he expects the non-P AWD to show identical parts... (and the fact the VIN for motor is the same with both models supports that there's no physical difference in motors)

Reactions: 0ptions
Pull up to an M3/M5, roll down your window and talk *sugar*.

Take off when light turns green.

If you win - you got a 3P.

Alternatively, if you open up your Tesla App scroll down and you see DUAL MOTOR under your vehicle miles, you have 3P.

Not as fun as the first option however.

Edit: Current as of 8/12/2018 - I believe if your seats are white, you have 3P. Have not heard of any 3P with Black seats delivered yet.

Edit to your edit: I took delivery of a non-Upgrade Pack P3D with black interior on August 10th.

We're out here.

Reactions: MXWing
Reactions: MP3Mike