Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How cautious are you when opening falcon wings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be receiving my first Model X in a couple of weeks and was wondering about how cautious you are when opening the falcon wings. It seemed like there was an issue with them not sensing garage ceiling beams back in 2015/16, but since then the doors have been programmed to be more cautious (with the exception of a few recent horror stories that I've been reading on the forums).

I'm wondering if you allow your children/passengers to open the wings themselves from the inside, or do you child proof them? Being the overly-cautious person that I am, I would probably exit the car, check my surrounds (esp for low hanging beams), then open the wings when it's safe.

Are you pretty trusting of the falcon wings? Or are you on the overly-cautious side and constantly checks your surroundings before opening the wings when parking in garages?

430F8C66-3FE5-4C2E-8A5E-EED41580FBE0.jpeg

No issues :eek:

I just observe and remain aware of their limitations. Don't park in a garage with drop downs lower than the center of the roof sensor on the car that wings would hit. I avoid parking by pipes/thinner objects they tend to miss. They don't detect tree branches well, etc. If you aim for more open areas then your always fine. Have had once case close to our car in the garage where it opened fine with our BMW X5 next to us, and then closed and wanted to go down before in more when closing and hitting the mirror (no damage) but it seems to forget sometimes how it opened the first time.

Reactions: outie and WINGIT
Very cautious. I lost track of how many times the FWDs would've hit low ceiling beams, adjacent car side mirrors, even people if I didn't stop the doors in time. I would not let my kids open them from inside.

1) I really hate parking structure with beams and angled parking spaces.

2) If the adjacent car is parked in opposite direction, there is a high chance the FWD would hit their side mirror if the spaces are small and/or angled.

3) If you blindly open the door there's a chance someone can walk straight into your door while it's opening and BAM.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: modamoda and ebfio
Thanks everyone! I

I’ve been noticing that the 2 parking garages I park at frequently have thin metal pipes all throughout the ceiling. Every parking spot would have a metal pipe above it, either directly in the middle or to the side. I’ll have to see how high the wings go in those garages.

From the screen, isn’t it possible to open the wings half way or something like that?

I just observe and remain aware of their limitations. Don't park in a garage with drop downs lower than the center of the roof sensor on the car that wings would hit. I avoid parking by pipes/thinner objects they tend to miss. They don't detect tree branches well, etc. If you aim for more open areas then your always fine. Have had once case close to our car in the garage where it opened fine with our BMW X5 next to us, and then closed and wanted to go down before in more when closing and hitting the mirror (no damage) but it seems to forget sometimes how it opened the first time.
Definitely beware of tree branches because they can really scratch up your doors.

Fairly careful, mainly with pipes.

We had (still have occasionally after one sensor replacement) phantom object detection on the passenger side. My wife was very used to forcing the doors open and managed to override the FWD right into a ceiling pipe in a hotel parking garage. One little paint chip from that, that I never see.

It's been fine in our garage.

There is also a control setting "Falcon door Height" Auto or Low.
In "Auto" it will try to open as far as possible but will stop if it DETECTS an obstacle.
Heed all the above warnings and be careful. I watch mine like a hawk
and it is set to "Low."
Mine is in a tight garage with a foundation support pipe next to the passenger door.
It has not hit the pipe but it still gives me the creeps.

Shawn

Reactions: WINGIT