Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How choose your charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assumed I would do something similar, but we found that we can just alternate the single HPWC. Obviously commutes and lifestyles differ, but it's an extremely rare day when my wife and I would each use over 200 miles on our cars.
My primary concern would be to forget to plug in the car (or forget which car needs to be charged). With a separate charger for each, it becomes a daily habit. But $500 is a pretty decent reason to figure out a system that allows you to share a charger. I only see me having a single EV in the near to medium range future so I haven't had to put much thought into it.

$1750 for one outlet is absurdly high unless you have a very complicated install. I was quoted $470 to install a single HPWC on a 60A circuit. That includes reorganizing the circuit breakers to create more space and running 50' of conduit and 6-3 wire (including all materials). Most estimates I've seen on this board are between $500 and $1000. Again, it all depends on the difficulty of the installation.

I have electric range, drier, and A/C, and my electrician estimated my demand load at 105 amps. One additional circuit was no problem, 2 would be pushing it. If I were to get two Tesla's I would two HPWCs on one shared circuit.

Connected garage, 75ft of #4 copper (which I could buy using a quick google search for $0.86/ft.), rearrange the breakers because he said Tesla needs to be the top one, that's about it... one duct sized hole in a ceiling of my basement for the 90 degree turn from the panel into the garage, they're not even estimating repairing the dry wall.

Thank you very much for the reply and info about costs. I wonder if it's just my area, when I look for electricians on Tesla's website, just one comes up. The different electrician I had out today said they just got Tesla certified and hopes to be on the website soon. Likely story? Truth? Idk. I guess in the end, electric week is electric work. The Tesla certification would be nice, if it could affect warranty (could it?)

I think my wife and I have agreed to just do one outlet. I'm still considering running two cables now (now is the time to do it, seems labor is the pricey portion) but not using both at the same time. The outlets don't draw unless something is plugged in correct?

Connected garage, 75ft of #4 copper (which I could buy using a quick google search for $0.86/ft.), rearrange the breakers because he said Tesla needs to be the top one, that's about it... one duct sized hole in a ceiling of my basement for the 90 degree turn from the panel into the garage, they're not even estimating repairing the dry wall.

Thank you very much for the reply and info about costs. I wonder if it's just my area, when I look for electricians on Tesla's website, just one comes up. The different electrician I had out today said they just got Tesla certified and hopes to be on the website soon. Likely story? Truth? Idk. I guess in the end, electric week is electric work. The Tesla certification would be nice, if it could affect warranty (could it?)

I think my wife and I have agreed to just do one outlet. I'm still considering running two cables now (now is the time to do it, seems labor is the pricey portion) but not using both at the same time. The outlets don't draw unless something is plugged in correct?
Yeah, that seems really high. I’ve seen others post on here about electricians charging more after hearing that it’s for a Tesla, so maybe get a quote from someone and just tell them the type of circuit and plug you want (or say it’s for an RV or power tools). Also, not sure why they are using #4 - I’m not an electrician (so take this with a grain of salt) but everything I’ve read says #6 is generally used for 50 and 60 amp circuits. On the recomendation of my electrician, I ran 3 #6 wires and a #8 for ground. I used THHN in a 3/4” conduit. Total cost for parts was $200 (conduit, wire, two breakers, few miscellaneous parts). The electrician was going to charge $270 to install everything - I ended up doing most of the labor, so it’s only going to cost me $175 for him to come out and rearrange the breaker box and hook everything up.

You can run all the wires you want (and yes, it’s cheaper to do it all at the same time) and just not hook one set up until you need it.

• Informative
Reactions: TQCLove
They are recommending 4AWG because of the length of the run to mitigate voltage drop.

@Lovesword maybe consider getting two HPWC units. They can “talk” to each other and balance the load of the two cars on a single feed without overloading it. It’s an expensive solution but at $1k, it sounds cheaper than your cost for setting up two feeds.

• Informative
Reactions: Runt8 and TQCLove

Is the actual run 75 feet? The #4 copper for $0.86 is just a single wire a 14-50 would require 4 (2 hots, a neutral and a ground) although the ground wire should be able to be a bit smaller. Also it has to be run in conduit other types of cable may not need to be in conduit depending on how the cable is ran and local codes.

Also if putting holes in a wall between the garage and the house they should be maintaining the fire wall integrity. May need to seal any cable or conduit penetrations with fire rated sealant and repair any drywall between the garage and house.

You are correct outlets don't use power unless something is plugged in and using power.

• Informative
The 75 feet has to be for all of it, its roughly 20' from the box to the garage. The conduit requirement could be a thing, I certainly don't know (don't know local rules/regs) but that's a great point. The basement is unfinished in the room with the panel, I just assumed they'd be able to run it in the open ceiling there. (We know what assuming does, lol).

I really appreciate all the feedback and information you've all provided me. I really have no clue on electrical, and any "expertise" I have is thanks to google (which is dangerous!). I'll post the second estimate I get once I have it.

I discussed with my wife and I think we're going to run just one NEMA 14-50. I don't really even need two, the garage is small enough that a charging cable could reach either vehicle, if for whatever reason we don't take hers to the SC. I think there's just some small part of me that wanted to see an outlet on each side. So uniform! So clean and balanced! (I'm odd like that, I should seek help!)

Thanks again all. :)

Reactions: AlanSqB
If you do the 14-50, you absolutely don't need the #4 for a 20 foot run if they're using conduit the whole way. Even if it's "romex" you shouldn't need more than #6.

I think the 14-50 install is the most future-proof option available right now. You won't mind going out to the garage to switch over the EVSE from car to car. You'll probably already be out there staring at the two beautiful cars already anyway.

I assumed I would do something similar, but we found that we can just alternate the single HPWC. Obviously commutes and lifestyles differ, but it's an extremely rare day when my wife and I would each use over 200 miles on our cars.
I actually had my HPWC installed in the center of my garage wall with the same plan in mind. But with Tesla recommending that you plug in your car whenever possible I wonder if it'd be a better idea to split the line between 2 when (if) we get a Model Y.

Last edited:
I'm not from Oakland, but I'd be surprised if anything more was needed than an electrician who follows the codes. Shouldn't need more paperwork than that.

I live in Clackamas county in Oregon and when a bathroom fan was replaced, the electrician had to get a permit! Same permit that the HAC company got when they replaced the furnace. $30 part vs $4500. Freaking weird, but if you had seen the mess my house's electrical system was in when we moved in, you'd understand. White-> white, Black -> black, Green -> green or bare copper. This was way too complicated for the guy who wired the house's addition. I'm certain there was no inspections done.

I'm one of the noobies that after all the research, looking at the Tesla site, etc still can't figure out exactly what I need to get installed lol. I am not going to buy the $500 wall charger, but want to have installed the next best thing. So I know we need a Nema 14-50, but what is the best voltage etc to have if you are getting the long range car. I know the info is somewhere in the form, but I haven't been able to piece it together. One of you beautiful strangers maybe can help? :) I want to get it installed prior to the car shipping.
14-50 it is enough for charging. 29 miles/hour .

I discussed with my wife and I think we're going to run just one NEMA 14-50. I don't really even need two, the garage is small enough that a charging cable could reach either vehicle, if for whatever reason we don't take hers to the SC. I think there's just some small part of me that wanted to see an outlet on each side. So uniform! So clean and balanced! (I'm odd like that, I should seek help!)
@Lovesword, PLEASE, don't build your home charging infrastructure with the assumption that your wife will charge her Model S at a local Supercharger or Service Center (whichever "SC" you meant). If you can afford to buy 2 Teslas, you can manage to pay for proper home charging. Pushing your wife's charging out to a Supercharger just reduces the utility of that resource for others who might actually NEED to use it. It's just rude and selfish.

I am in a very similar situation. My partner has an S with unlimited Supercharger use (which we currently charge from a 14-50, using the mobile connector) and I will be getting a 3. Our choices are:
  1. Get 2 HPWCs, install them on the same circuit, and let them do load sharing.
  2. Upgrade the service in our detached garage to 200 amps (for some reason, it has its own service, separate from the house) and run separate circuits for 14-50s.
  3. Go whole hog and do the service upgrade for separate circuits and get 2 HPWCs.
Pushing her car out to the Superchargers is not even on the list.

The 75 feet has to be for all of it, its roughly 20' from the box to the garage. The conduit requirement could be a thing, I certainly don't know (don't know local rules/regs) but that's a great point. The basement is unfinished in the room with the panel, I just assumed they'd be able to run it in the open ceiling there. (We know what assuming does, lol).

I really appreciate all the feedback and information you've all provided me. I really have no clue on electrical, and any "expertise" I have is thanks to google (which is dangerous!). I'll post the second estimate I get once I have it.

You might want to get another quote or two. That quote seems high for what you've described and I wouldn't expect Iowa to be so expensive. When I was first getting quotes, the first one was $5000 (or maybe it was $7000), but it was some insane quote with no details. The second one was somewhere around $3250 and much more detailed. The third (which was from a Tesla recommended electrician) was the cheapest at $1850. This included combining breakers in my 200 amp main panel, running wiring (for 100 amp load) about 100 feet through conduit to the garage, combining breakers in the garage panel, running about 100 feet of additional wiring in the garage and adding two 14-50 outlets. I thought that was a fair price due to all of the work involved. It took the electrician a day and a half and he even had a co-worker come out to help pull the wiring through conduit for an hour or so.

My father in Nebraska had an outlet put in and failed to get multiple estimates. They took advantage of him and charged over $900 to run the wiring about 25 feet. While the outlet worked great, they installed it upside-down, didn't mount it to a stud and used two wiring boxes stacked on top of each other (sticking out into the garage).

@Lovesword, PLEASE, don't build your home charging infrastructure with the assumption that your wife will charge her Model S at a local Supercharger or Service Center (whichever "SC" you meant). If you can afford to buy 2 Teslas, you can manage to pay for proper home charging. Pushing your wife's charging out to a Supercharger just reduces the utility of that resource for others who might actually NEED to use it. It's just rude and selfish.

I am in a very similar situation. My partner has an S with unlimited Supercharger use (which we currently charge from a 14-50, using the mobile connector) and I will be getting a 3. Our choices are:
  2. Upgrade the service in our detached garage to 200 amps (for some reason, it has its own service, separate from the house) and run separate circuits for 14-50s.
  3. Go whole hog and do the service upgrade for separate circuits and get 2 HPWCs.

Option #4 might be to just share the outlet, plugging in on alternate days or different times. We currently have two outlets and two Teslas but will be adding a third Tesla in the coming year. The third person's schedule is different so they could just charge from 2 am to 4 am and then plug in my car when they leave for work at 4 am. My car only needs an hour charge and my commute is short so I don't have to worry about not plugging in every night. This option doesn't cost anything. We do have a 6-20 outlet that I could use but we haven't needed it yet. Eventually, we might switch to load balanced HWPCs but that would probably cost $1000 for the HWPCs plus needing the electrician to come out and install them...so we'll probably just share the outlets once the third Tesla arrives.

• Informative
Option #4 might be to just share the outlet, plugging in on alternate days or different times. We currently have two outlets and two Teslas but will be adding a third Tesla in the coming year. The third person's schedule is different so they could just charge from 2 am to 4 am and then plug in my car when they leave for work at 4 am. My car only needs an hour charge and my commute is short so I don't have to worry about not plugging in every night. It doesn't cost anything. We do have a 6-20 outlet that I could use but we haven't needed it yet. Eventually, we might switch to load balanced HWPCs but that would probably cost $1000 for the HWPCs plus needing the electrician to come out and install them...so we'll probably just share the outlets once the third Tesla arrives.
I'd consider that option #0, as it's essentially making do with what we've got. We may do that for a short while, but I don't want that to be the long term solution.

I'm getting a HPWC for my S soon. Power company will pay for 1/2, so why not. Going to wire it to handle 60A, but putting a 50a breaker due to utility company EV charging plan is cheaper under 10kW.

Going to just share it between the two cars when I get the 3 later for the wife. If that doesn't work, going to get a second HPWC and share the 50a breaker.

Good feedback, and not something I'd considered before. We definitely don't want to be "that guy."
Without trying to sound defensive, I do want to explain my train of thought on why I had this in mind. The local Super Charger is in a grocery store parking lot. Typically we go there a few times a week for things (parking elsewhere of course, though we do go drive by the Telsa vehicles if there's any!) and I just assumed we'd park at a stall and charge while getting groceries on one of those trips (likely once per week would be more than enough, maybe even every other week). Currently at its busiest I've only seen 2 of the 8 stalls in use (but Model 3 is coming, and Model Y looms, so...), and the Tesla dealership we go to said it's already planned to be expanded to 16 soon.

Now that I've defended myself (without hopefully coming across as SUPER defensive), I can definitely see what you are saying and it's something I hadn't thought about previously. In all honesty, I've already spoken with my wife about just sharing one plug after getting the first estimate and posting here. Neither of us drive so much that we'd each need a dedicated plug in. We could easily share.

So, option #0 is looking like our go to move, though we don't have it set up that way just yet. I'm still waiting to hear back from the second electrician, which is also why I haven't been back to this thread yet...sadly, I have no update to give! :(

@MorrisonHiker thank you as well for your feedback. That's quite the range in estimates you received! I definitely want to make sure and do my due diligence and get a few more estimates myself. I received the contact information for another electrician from a friend who holds him in very high regard. I'll be giving him a call soon.

Thank you all, as always, for constructive feedback and helpful, polite critique.

Reactions: AlanSqB
Yeah, but for Lovesword I would still consider it a more convenient option than charging one of the cars at a supercharger.
I went for 3 months without charging at home, relying on a local supercharger (5 miles) and public pay Chargepoints (1 mile). It sucks, plain and simple. Charging overnight in your garage is so much better.

The local Super Charger is in a grocery store parking lot. Typically we go there a few times a week for things (parking elsewhere of course, though we do go drive by the Telsa vehicles if there's any!) and I just assumed we'd park at a stall and charge while getting groceries on one of those trips (likely once per week would be more than enough, maybe even every other week). Currently at its busiest I've only seen 2 of the 8 stalls in use (but Model 3 is coming, and Model Y looms, so...), and the Tesla dealership we go to said it's already planned to be expanded to 16 soon.
I had the same situation. Still, being able to change at home is much nicer. No need to monitor the charge level and run out to move the car to avoid idle fees, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD and TQCLove
One of the best things about owning an EV is being able to charge it up at home and at night when you are sleeping. It's just one less thing you have to do during the day. It may sound like a small thing but starting the day with a "full tank" is a really nice perk.

Every Tesla owner should run a 240v/50 amp circuit to where they want to charge their car. That's a low cost, no brainer decision because:

- that's enough power to fully charge the car from near zero in a reasonable time frame.
- you can put a nema 14-50 outlet on that circuit if you want to stick with the UMC that comes with the car
- you can put a HPWC on that if you want. It won't charge a M3 any faster but allows you to keep the UMC in the car if you like.
- for most people your daily charging needs can be fulfilled with this setup in 2-4 hours a day. Schedule charging to start 4 hrs before you leave in the morning (or before cheap overnight electricity rate window ends) and you'll have a "full tank" every morning, and the battery pack will spend more of its life at a lower charge level (good for battery longevity ever so slightly).
- a nema 14-50 outlet can be added for as little as $150 and 95% of homes will have enough sub panel capacity to accommodate that circuit.
- running any other (smaller) circuit will cost the same for less capability.
- a 240v/50 amp circuit willl be useful even (especially) if you get a different EV. It's my opinion that 14-50 outlets in garages will become a "standard" thing in new homes the same way dryer outlets are standard in new laundry rooms.

If you have to make do with what you've got (renter, apartment living, etc) then you've got an edge case and your specific situation will dictate how creative you'll need to get. For everyone else, 240v/50 amp circuit makes a ton of sense.

Well your quote was better than mine.... I just got a quote to run 70amps to my garage with a sub panel installed in garage and a Nema 14-50 outlet. Approx 50' of trenching to run the line... $5400! Lining up some other quotes now. Glad I'm not waiting til the last min. This is more expensive than I was imagining.

Just got my 2nd quote this weekend. This time I left the word "Tesla" out of the conversation and said I was in the market for a used EV. I also got the quote from an outfit not on the list of Tesla suggestions. Well... My plan didn't help in any way and the quote came in $200 HIGHER at $5600. I had no idea it would cost me this much to run more power to my garage. Lining up another quote, but I have a bad feeling I'll have to 'swallow the noodle' on this one.