Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How close to a total is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got swiped today, long story. Can go into it later. but are we near totaling this? 2019 Dual Motor

So I'm looking at: Quarter Panel, Rear door, Charge Port Door, Charge Port maybe, taillight, trunk lid, bumper, wheel, tire, suspension components, anything structural?

IMG_7728.jpeg

Sorry to see. Unlikely that its totaled... and in some ways, sadly. Note that side is a PITA to repair and more expensive to deal with given the charge port. It will easily cost $15-20K at a Tesla certified body shop if they do it by the book and decently.

The quarter panel, door frame, rocker are one piece (and come in many different length configurations). Considered structural on these cars (even if that is arguable). CarFax will take a beating so hopefully insurance covers it all and later diminished value.

Sorry to see. Unlikely that its totaled... and in some ways, sadly. Note that side is a PITA to repair and more expensive to deal with given the charge port. It will easily cost $15-20K at a Tesla certified body shop if they do it by the book and decently.

The quarter panel, door frame, rocker are one piece (and come in many different length configurations). Considered structural on these cars (even if that is arguable). CarFax will take a beating so hopefully insurance covers it all and later diminished value.

Yeah if the rocker panel has to be replaced I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s closer to 20

Sadly DV will not help to total it out. Best bet is to get ir repaired well with new OE parts. Most of them are just a step above lego block bolt-ons but the bonding and finishing is a lot of work.

Hopefully there is no suspension, frame or battery/battery housing damage (and none will develop as a result of teardown, repairs, etc).

Most of the interior in the back and trunk will be torn apart, bumper skin removed, lots of welding, trim removal and reinstall, rear glass often shatters, etc.

It's the labor cost at a Tesla certified repair shop or an in-house collision center (mixed reviews on those, although WA might have some hidden gem) that will push it over $15K easy. Parts alone will be roughly $8-10K.

Here's the damage, the photo that I zoomed in and circled in blue shows the QP line dropping lower from the trunk lid line (trunk lid was not impacted) - would this suggest that something structural has bent?

Attachments

• IMG_7814 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7814 Large.jpeg
    452.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7817 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7817 Large.jpeg
    507.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7815 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7815 Large.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7816 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7816 Large.jpeg
    375.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7820 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7820 Large.jpeg
    386.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0910 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0910 Large.jpeg
    461.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7818 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7818 Large.jpeg
    463.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7821 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7821 Large.jpeg
    365.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0911 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0911 Large.jpeg
    461.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0912 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0912 Large.jpeg
    535.5 KB · Views: 66
Comparing the most recent photo I have of that corner prior to the impact, it's definitely shifted down and forward. the gap on the other side has remained consistent.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-07 at 12.10.49 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-07 at 12.10.49 PM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 64
The rear corner panel fitment is not very relevant to the structural vs non-structural call.

Its all about the replacement of the quarter panel. If its replaced (which it will/should be), its flagged as structural for the 3/Y twins.

Got swiped today, long story. Can go into it later. but are we near totaling this? 2019 Dual Motor

So I'm looking at: Quarter Panel, Rear door, Charge Port Door, Charge Port maybe, taillight, trunk lid, bumper, wheel, tire, suspension components, anything structural?

View attachment 871297
I was involved in a fairly significant accident today in our 2023 Model Y (about 8000 miles). Damage to my car looks more than yours, and I am curious to know if yours was considered "totaled" or if it was repaired with the amount of damage you have to your car