TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How CO2 can help save us from Climate Change

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by nwdiver, Jan 31, 2017.

1. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

#1 nwdiver, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    I've been following the idea of using CO2 as a refrigerant for a couple years but this is the first time I've found a product that actually uses it. It's a lot more expensive since IIRC the pressures required are ~4x higher than R410A and ~10x higher than R134a. But the gain in efficiency is excellent especially if used as a heat pump.

My GE Geospring still works but I would be tempted to buy this for ~$3k if I was in the market for a new hot water heater.

I can't wait until this technology starts showing up in HVAC units. The icing on the cake is that leaks are much less of an issue. Who cares about a little extra CO2 in the atmosphere....

AND... this further drives home the fact that solar thermal is utter nonsense...