Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how come no one talks about gas anxiety?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gas anxiety is low because they are used to it.
If the tables were turned, and people were used to electric cars, and suddenly someone invented a gasoline powered car, the anxiety could be caused when they learned:
You need to add 20 gallons or so of highly flamable combustion fluid every couple hundred miles.
The gasoline will polute the air and cause thousands of people to get sick more often and die earlier.
It will produce Carbon Dioxide that will kill you in just a few minutes if you forget to open the garage door when it is running.
It will need 5 quarts of motor oil disposed of twice a year (25 times over the life of the car). Do not get the contaminated motor oil on your skin as it is cancer causing.
You cannot just throw the used oil away or you will be fined.
The fuel will cost 3X what you are used to paying for electric miles.
If everybody changes to the fuel cars the cities will become so polluted that breathing will be uncomfortable and difficult.
The gasoline is extremely flamable, and thousands of people will be burned to death every year.
If it leaks and catches fire in your garage your whole house may burn down.
The fuel will be heavily taxed.
Most of the fuel stock will come from foreign nations, damaging your countrys balance of trade and draining its treasury.
The fuel gauges will be very inaccurate. The first 1/4 tank will last for a long time, but when it gets down to the final 1/4 is will last far fewer miles.
The fuel will not be renewable. When it runs out all those cars will grind to a halt.
Instead of one smooth transmission you will need up to 10 gear changes every time you go from start to cruise. When you drop into drive or reverse your whole car will shake with a thunk.
One foot driving will be a thing of the past. You need to move your foot back and forth between the gas pedal and the brake every time you wish to go faster or slower.
No more autopilot. Not even a moments rest, even on the longest, most boring trips.

Bet people would have some anxiety then. The anxiety is caused more by fear of change than actual driving factors.

A lot of those a just simple BS or exaggerations
But that’s none of my business

• Informative
Reactions: SSedan
Gas Anxiety? No way! My Mercedes E250 gets 800 miles to a tank of diesel, so I can get a full day of driving without a fuel stop. OTOH, I may have a few adjustments to make after I get a Tesla.
800 miles is great but unfortunately, my internal tank has to be emptied every 250 miles so I have to stop anyway. I'm sure everyone here has had bathroom anxiety. :(

No more autopilot. Not even a moments rest, even on the longest, most boring trips.
Bet people would have some anxiety then. ...

Automatic steering and adaptive cruise control do not care about the propulsion system.

The fact there are folk on the road who do not understand the limits of these systems should give you anxiety. You might be their next victim. These are not autonomous systems but many folk apparently think they are, and trust me, they do not care one iota if you live or die. Once you are inside a box, those other 'people' are just like images on a TV. A character dying in a TV might upset you, but it's not likely to cause you much harm. "The Car Did It, Can I Go Now?".

You are much too late for "cities will become so polluted that breathing will be uncomfortable and difficult".
The worst smog recorded in history that I know of was Dec 1952 in London. Killed somewhere between 3,000 and 12,000 in about 100 hours.

The mountains in SoCal were usually invisible to most inhabitants in the 1960's. Smog alerts, body counts, no PE at schools, 100 yard visibility shutting down airports, were all part of life, but we had far fewer cars back then.

• Informative
Reactions: SSedan
Gas Anxiety? No way! My Mercedes E250 gets 800 miles to a tank of diesel, so I can get a full day of driving without a fuel stop. OTOH, I may have a few adjustments to make after I get a Tesla.
My VW Tdi used to get between 450-600 miles to a tank (city vs highway), I used to hate filling it up because diesel pumps vary so widely (flow rate) and I had to be trusting that our crappy (US) diesel wouldn't scar the fuel pump and nuke the rail and injectors downstream.

Now I on;y have to worry about finding "TopTier" gas for the Volt so I feel less stress overall.

And while it's rare, let's not say gas anxiety doesn't exist. Just this morning, my son stayed home from university to make a chiropractor appointment and it got cancelled on him because the doctor ran out of gas on the way to the office. I thought that was amusing though wasteful of my time and my son's.

Point being, I can go literally anywhere in an ICE car with precisely zero forethought and planning with respect to how I am going to obtain energy for my trip. That doesn't exist in an EV, at least not yet.
Yes, it does. It exists right now. I just took a 5,332 mile trip back and forth across the U.S. in 11 days in February with just a basic intention--no specific plan or schedule or even what cities I would stop in. I visited a couple of family members along the way, and I picked a different route through other states I'd never been to on the way home. The Supercharger network just handles that stuff.

There is no gas anxiety because the old fashion combustion vehicle went through many generations of evolution to mature. The infrastructure gas also mature. Cars on average can exceed 300 miles and refuel under 10 minutes with a gas station within minutes of any direction. Lastly, the help support such as roadside assistance can provide gas in a pinch.

There us absolutely no need to have gas anxiety.

and no, I'm not talking about the kind of anxiety you might feel after eating a three bean chili. I'm talking about range anxiety with a gas powered car. I found myself getting more range anxiety driving my ICE car, than I have when ever driving an electric car.

First of all, like most people, a large majority of my driving miles occur within a pretty small radius of my home. It's commuting to/from work, running errands, picking up/dropping off the kids, going out around town, etc that accounts for most of our driving. With my ICE vehicle, whenever I was close to an empty tank I had to stress about finding the time to get to a gas station and fill up the tank. Because usually when I'm driving it's to be somewhere at a particular time, and my tank always seems to get close to E at the most inconvenient of times. Often I'd push it, hoping to find time on my way to work the next day, hitting 0 on the estimated miles remaining on numerous occasions. Doesn't get more stressful than that.

You know how many times the common scenarios I described above happen with an electric car? Virtually zero. Because there's nothing more anxiety reducing than waking up to a full "tank" every morning when I start my day. Talk about convenient. It'd be akin to having your own gas pump in your garage and always being able to top it off each night. I NEVER have to worry about range anxiety for 90+% of my driving, which cannot be said about an ICE vehicle.

For longer trips, yes, I have to plan a bit more than I would with an ICE car. But even with an ICE car there's at least some degree of planning with longer trips, even if it's simply to pull up the route on a map. So what's a couple extra minutes to scout out the chargers along the route? Which BTW, happens to be done for us with the help of Tesla's own navigation or various websites. And I've had some serious range anxiety on long trips even with ICE cars when driving cross country on I-80. You can go miles and miles without a stop for gas in the middle of nowhere.

Short answer: One rarely has range anxiety in an ICE car because there are gas stations everywhere.
When electric charging stations are as numerous (or nearly so) as gas stations, range anxiety will disappear.

On a long trip on an interstate I was sweating bullets as the gauge was on empty for about 15 miles. At the next exit I ran out of gas on the downhill ramp exit. There was a light at the bottom of the ramp and a gas station on the other side of the intersection. I coasted down the ramp and just as I approached the intersection the light turned green. Lucky for sure.

I’ve had no such nail-biting experiences with the Tesla.