Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How come Teslas are not popular for Police Cars?

Will it be awesome for the Police Department to get Teslas?

• Yes.

Votes: 36 47.4%
  • No.

Votes: 40 52.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see a lot of Dodge, Lincoln, and Fords. Sure they are American cars but why not Teslas?

• 0-60 is quick enough for police to issue the speed ticket.
• Tesla is known for very safe car with 5 star rating. (Model S, X and 3 altogether)

Police Departments tends to have spacious parkings. Let them charge the car. And some might like it and buy it personally.

This way we depend less on oil and city is showing good example.

Is it mainly for the price? There are many used Model S. Even Model 3 should be good for Police Car.

What's your thought?

Maybe I'm missing something, but where are there Lincoln cop cars? I usually see either Ford Explorers or Dodge Chargers.

Cop cars are pretty heavily modified from the factory versions. They have beefed up suspensions, interiors made to hold, er, uh, less than cooperative individuals who may be bleeding or emitting other fluids and they get beat up pretty hard. The cost to buy then modify a Tesla for this use would be prohibitive. Plus, cop cars need fast refueling, like on the matter of minutes to get full range.

Maybe for city use this could work, but for all other purposes it wouldn't.

I'd be pretty outraged if the police were buying luxury cars for their cruisers.

Also, they can't afford to wait 6 months to repair a car because Tesla couldn't deliver a small part to the body shop. Many PDs also fix/maintain cars, at least the small things, they would get no support from Tesla on this.

It's also important to note that time of ingress/egress, ability to quickly open & close doors, etc is extremely vital.

Any Tesla as a police car would be a terrible choice.

A city doesn't buy a car and make it a police car. They buy a police car. Tesla doesn't seem to have one.
A police car has a number of features built into that is very different than standard vehicles. One of them, irrelevant to Tesla, is having extra cooling to support the car sitting at idle for extended periods of time.
Another is a beefed up 12V system to support the radios, sirens, lights and computer terminal. The Tesla definitely doesn't have that capability today.
You have a lot of other options, but it is the manufacturer that creates a specific police cruiser model.

Police in Los Angeles use their cars to perform "pit maneuvers" to stop cars being chased. The CHP also pushes stalled cars out of lanes and dangerous situations. The CHP cars always have big front grills for the task. I cannot imagine having to send a police Tesla to a body shop for fender damage.

Reactions: cwerdna
Police forces, particularly city ones may very well have BEV in the future, but given how heavily modified they are, I doubt it will be soon, and I highly doubt it would be Tesla. They'll get them when GM or Ford move into BEV, perhaps.

I do believe that if Tesla thought it could add to earnings or succeed in building police cars, they would have announced by now; surely Elon would consider it. And also quickly dismissed the idea

My first thought is: you cannot be serious.

You don’t buy luxury goods for public servants. Should we get them fancy Italian boots and designer uniforms as well?

Well, speaking of Italians...

korea-lifestyle-007_0.jpg

images-1.jpeg

korea-lifestyle-007_0.jpg
images-1.jpeg
Lamborghini.jpg

images-1.jpeg

I talked state police commander in Orlando. We looked at a X. My pitch was, look at 10 yr ROI.
1. No officer drives more than 300 miles a day, charge not a problem.
2. No maintenance, lay off all but a few of them to work with Tesla. Get rid of maintenance facilities.
3. No one faster
4. Safer than current cars.
5. Install solar panels to charge off duty cars.
6. Better SUV than Ford or Chvey.

Yes it cost more initially, but on 10 yr ROI. They save millions. He agreed.
But the optics would be hard sell. Had to convince money folks to look at 10 yr savings.

Reactions: Don TLR