Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How comfortable is comfort steering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
comfort is definitely lighter, but its not light like an Audi or Lexus. I'd say it's medium. Car also has a very quick steering rack so you'd need to put more input than usually at higher speeds.

I personally drive in standard because I find discomfort in both comfort and sport. Now I just stick with standard to stop hopping back and forth.

Last edited:
I think it depends what your comparison point is. The few american cars I've driven, rentals on business trips, had the steering way too easy to turn for my tastes, and the steering rate required multiple turns of the wheel when parking. A Tesla (although american made) feels closer to european and asian cars I've driven before in terms of ratio. If you do the same work with two steering wheel turns instead of one, it should be easier to do. That's essentially what Yoliber is saying too.
To me (on a model 3), "sport" is close to my previous Subaru WRX feel, "normal" is what I like, and "comfort" is way too loose and easy. It's a personal preference and it depends what you're used to.

I haven't noticed much difference (if any) between the steering modes and my wife commented that she cannot easily palm the steering like she can with other cars.

Is the MY steering stiff for everyone? LR 19" here.
It depends on what your frame of reference is... I honestly think the steering in Sport Mode is still a touch on the light side, compared to my other cars. Tho, I normally leave everything on Sport+ on my other cars.

It depends on what your frame of reference is... I honestly think the steering in Sport Mode is still a touch on the light side, compared to my other cars. Tho, I normally leave everything on Sport+ on my other cars.

Compared to what? I'm having a tough time thinking of any power-assisted car with heavier steering than a TM3/MY in "sport." To me it feels significantly heavier than even cars with notoriously weighty steering like BMW Ms.

she cannot easily palm the steering like she can with other cars.
While I understand her point entirely about the steering, I think of this as a safety feature for the rest of us on the road with her. Having been a passenger in multiple crashes caused by people "palming" the steering before I was even 16, nothing scares me more. I hope it forces her to keep a better grip on the wheel.

Having said that I do notice a significant difference between comfort, sport, and standard. I find sport to be almost like my old WRX in terms of steering feel, and comfort is just too, mushy and soft to me. I usually keep it on standard, it's just right for daily driving for me personally with sport mode for when I find a nice curvy back road.

Reactions: GtiMart