Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How common is front motor whine on newer D models?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i picked up my June 2018 build 100D 3 months ago, and hear a mild gear whine coming from the front motor that I don't recall hearing on several other cars test driving, nor the P85DL loaner I got a few weeks ago. It reminds me of the fake motor sound that Jaguar pumps out of their iPace. It goes up and down in pitch with speed, and volume with load (both accelerating and decelerating). Others can hear it from outside the car, and say my car sounds like a space ship when I drive by (low speed - parking lot). That's not really how I want my car.

Is this common? I did a search on the forum and see lots of different posts, but tough to tell what's common, and what's unique. I need to take my car in for the front strut replacement anyway, so a DU replacement would be good too if that's what it is.

June 2018 MS100D. Have had the whine from day 1. My wife commented about it first. I know I am loosing my ability to hear high frequency sounds so even though I hear it, it sounds pretty subdued to me. Probably sounds louder to others. Doesn't bother me though.

Interesting that many people like the sound.
I hate it.
I have been tolerating it for 3 years.
At least it is not noticeable at highway speeds.
Many people like loud ICE car sound too, but some hate it. Some like to blast their stereo's with sub-woofers you can feel when next to them at the traffic lights, others hate it. Different people like different things. Personally I prefer silent operating machinery, but judging by the number of unnecessarily loud vehicles on the roads today, I'm going to guess I am in the minority.

So it sounds like this is pretty common, and maybe not a defective DU. Normally I play my music loud enough I don't hear it, but my wife hates my music so whenever we're out as a family, music is off and I hear it. But at least we're keeping her gas guzzler SUV in the garage more, as my S handles a family of 5 easy so it's our go-out-to-dinner car now. And I'm racking up way more miles than my old hybrid.