Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How common is ghosting?

How is the ghosting in your Model X?

• Very noticeable both day and night

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • Noticeable both day and night

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Somewhat noticeable during the day, more noticeable at night

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • Noticeable at night

Votes: 40 20.3%
  • Somewhat noticeable at night

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Not noticeable

Votes: 81 41.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, I'm all in on pointless effort! That's what message boards are about!

Are we sure that Tesla isn't using internal guidelines? (You know, like our windshields are Beta or something.)
Writing to NHTSA is probably the most productive thing you can do. Tell them to amend their guidelines for ghosting.

I recall reading a TMC or TM forum user following through with Tesla about Ghosting (if memory serves, over a year ago) and that user provided a link to the government guidelines. There are just too many references to ghosting to be able to find it via the forum search tools. If you have time, try searching here and at TeslaMotors forum.

Writing to NHTSA is probably the most productive thing you can do. Tell them to amend their guidelines for ghosting.

I recall reading a TMC or TM forum user following through with Tesla about Ghosting (if memory serves, over a year ago) and that user provided a link to the government guidelines. There are just too many references to ghosting to be able to find it via the forum search tools. If you have time, try searching here and at TeslaMotors forum.
They are definitely not just internal Tesla requirements. There are federal standards for the requirements and testing procedures. If someone wants to research further, search under:

49CFR 571.205
ANSI Z26.1

• Helpful
Reactions: vandacca
Tesla quoted me 1200 USD for a new windshield. Labour and such comes in addition to that, so probably around 1500 USD.

I'm not sure what to do. On the one hand, I want a defect-less car, and maybe 1500 USD is worth it, but on the other hand, I really think this is something Tesla should cover.

Maybe I should just give up, sell the X and get an e-tron when they come out. :confused:

Dropped my X off at the service center today for a number of repairs and the windshield was one of them. They tried to say it was normal and could be the result of a dirty window. Seriously?! The loaner MX100d has a perfect windshield with no ghosting at all so I know it can be fixed. I'll just need to wait until their done working on it to see if they addressed it or if I'm going to have to fight them on it.

my windshield is the "B" part number and i've never experienced ghosting but i may have another problem...

there is this white film or clouding running along the lower portion of my windshield and it makes me think the the windshield may be de-laminating...?

i've tried to clean the area as it looks like dust, but to no avail.

My SA advised that Part # "1105964-00-B" does not exist anymore and was replaced by 1066747-01-B as further improvement.

But at the same time someone above said the -01-B has terrible ghosting?

Getting mine replaced next week.

My X (AP2) is in the shop this week as well to get the windshield replaced for ghosting. My SA also told me the same thing as you -- the "1105964-00-B" is not longer available and there is a new part #. He didn't have the new part number on hand, either it was the one that ended in -C mentioned in a previous post or it could be the 01-B part you mentioned above.

Did you (or anyone here) get your windshield replaced with "1066747-01-B" and have feedback on the ghosting status? Agree with others that it would be very strange to replace the 00-B part that looks amazing (I have a X100D loaner right now made by AGP with the 00-B part number) with zero ghosting at night with a new revision that somehow is worse.

They agreed to replace my windshield, but said the 00-B part no longer exists and we agreed to follow-up on Monday on what I'd like to do.

Any info/feedback would be great appreciated, thanks!

If your windshield is terribly-terribly bad - just replace it and report here.
If it's tolerable, then just ask them to try the windshield with their test outside of the car (Even better - ask to be present when the test is made) to make your own decision

Thanks -- the loaner X100D with the 00-B part # is flawless, no issues. So compared to my current -H windshield, it feels like night and day. Sounds like it's worth to take the risk given the positive results.

Thanks -- the loaner X100D with the 00-B part # is flawless, no issues
Actually, after driving with mine for a few months, I no longer think mine is flawless. ;)

I feel like the reflection of the dash/speaker grille is much more pronounced (either that or I just forgot that it was equally bad before).
There's a bit of a bulge at the extreme far right side of the windshield, I get a bit of distortion there AND I do have ghosting in that area as well (does not bother me at all in there).

But all those things are super minor compared to the ghosting I had before so I am still pretty happy about the windshield I have now.

Actually, after driving with mine for a few months, I no longer think mine is flawless. ;)

I feel like the reflection of the dash/speaker grille is much more pronounced (either that or I just forgot that it was equally bad before).
There's a bit of a bulge at the extreme far right side of the windshield, I get a bit of distortion there AND I do have ghosting in that area as well (does not bother me at all in there).

But all those things are super minor compared to the ghosting I had before so I am still pretty happy about the windshield I have now.

Anything to worry about when replacing the windshield such as AP calibration afterwards?

Anything to worry about when replacing the windshield such as AP calibration afterwards?
No.
Reportedly they have special guides now that help them in installing the tricam-unit with pretty good tolerances. The new windshield also has some markings on the edges that I think work to help that as well.

When my windshield was replaced for the first time they did not even reset the calibration of the autopilot so it seemed a bit off at first but quickly adjusted.When they replaced it for the second time I did not feel anything different in autopilot behavior at all.

Reactions: EV bud
No.
Reportedly they have special guides now that help them in installing the tricam-unit with pretty good tolerances. The new windshield also has some markings on the edges that I think work to help that as well.

When my windshield was replaced for the first time they did not even reset the calibration of the autopilot so it seemed a bit off at first but quickly adjusted.When they replaced it for the second time I did not feel anything different in autopilot behavior at all.

Great to know, thanks for the feedback.

Hi VG!

Seems I recall a post and my followup question a bit ago, related to a palpably perceived contour change in a newer windshield, that did not have "ghosting." Your post again raises that questin for me.

Can you detect a contour change, such as a thinner windwhield area in front of the driver and passenge's main view corridors? The contour, has at least, a significant potential for"ghosting," ashas been expressed over the decades.

Thank you very much

FURY

Hi VG!

Seems I recall a post and my followup question a bit ago, related to a palpably perceived contour change in a newer windshield, that did not have "ghosting." Your post again raises that questin for me.

Can you detect a contour change, such as a thinner windwhield area in front of the driver and passenge's main view corridors? The contour, has at least, a significant potential for"ghosting," ashas been expressed over the decades.
I am absolutely not equipped to measure glass thickness ;)

It's just I see some distortions on the right side and when looking from outside I think I see a bit a a sagging in the shape, but it's very subtle and might even be an illusion (though I don't think it is). Certainly seems to be a minor manufacturing defect of some sort. This also somewhat aligns with words from my SC that they got two windshields tested them both and this one while not perfect was somewhat better than the other one.

My SA just told me the following:

" I spoke with another parts advisor and he advised that your Model X requires a triple cam windshield and that is only provided by Windshield part numbers ending in letter H. The windshield ending in part number B could possibly be MONO CAM and that windshield would not work with your Model X. Your Model X has the new auto pilot 2.0 and requires a triple cam. Parts advisor only recommends windshield ending in part H for your Model X."

I'm assuming they're giving me incorrect info here based on everything I've read and the fact that I have a X100D AP2 loaner with the 00-B windshield? Anyone have experience on how to respond?

I would not respond to this SA at all - ask for a different advisor as this one is clearly spewing BS. Would you really have any confidence or trust in his advice down the road?

Just ask to speak with another advisor and reference your loaner for its windshield part number

I would not respond to this SA at all - ask for a different advisor as this one is clearly spewing BS. Would you really have any confidence or trust in his advice down the road?

Just ask to speak with another advisor and reference your loaner for its windshield part number

Only thing is that he's been awesome to me for numerous other issues. I will be nice and ask him to get more info. However, the SA was just being the messenger based on what I could tell and the Parts guy who gave him this info is the one that looks to be communicating this incorrect info.