Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How common is ghosting?

How is the ghosting in your Model X?

• Very noticeable both day and night

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • Noticeable both day and night

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Somewhat noticeable during the day, more noticeable at night

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • Noticeable at night

Votes: 40 20.3%
  • Somewhat noticeable at night

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Not noticeable

Votes: 81 41.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was seriously considering an X in 2-3 years but I hate my eyeglass ghosting, it would drive me absolutely bonkers to have it in my car. I'm blissfully ignorant if my S has this and I'd like to remain so.

BTW, I never saw the young woman. Its all old crone to me.
This more detailed version may make it easier - at least it does for me;

miss-big.jpg

hint - the old lady's lips are the young lady's necklace.

• Love
Reactions: Fiddler
I got some prescription polarized sunglasses today. I don't usually use sunglasses, because it's a hassle to switch between regular glasses and sunglasses, but I decided it would be nice to have with the huge windscreen.

Well, I haven't tried them very much, but my initial impression is that it helped quite a lot with the ghosting. What would have been very apparent ghosting appeared more like a slight glare. I have asked the service center to take a look at the ghosting when they enable the high amperage charger that should have been activated when I got the car, but if they say it's normal, I think I'll be perfectly alright with just using sunglasses.
I agree that polarized glasses will help with ghosting, but that only works during the day when ghosting is not very noticeable.

You can't use polarized sunglasses at night when the contrast is much higher and therefore ghosting is more noticeable.

I agree that polarized glasses will help with ghosting, but that only works during the day when ghosting is not very noticeable.

You can't use polarized sunglasses at night when the contrast is much higher and therefore ghosting is more noticeable.
It's quite noticeable during the day too, but I agree it doesn't fully resolve the issue. I still haven't had an opportunity to drive much when it's dark. During summer, it isn't dark very long at night this far north.

@vandacca & @Yggdrasill what about the yellow lenses used for night time driving, perhaps that would help?
Most of those "yellow lens" glasses on Amazon are falsely advertised as being "polarized". They are not polarized, so they will not help with ghosting.

There are some theories that having yellow lenses improves contrast, but I'm not sure if that has been scientifically proven and even if it does, it may make ghosting more noticeable.

The only thing I've heard on this forum that seems to help with ghosting is tinting the windshield.

Most of those "yellow lens" glasses on Amazon are falsely advertised as being "polarized". They are not polarized, so they will not help with ghosting.

There are some theories that having yellow lenses improves contrast, but I'm not sure if that has been scientifically proven and even if it does, it may make ghosting more noticeable.

The only thing I've heard on this forum that seems to help with ghosting is tinting the windshield.

Sure i would hardly expect them to be polarized, but i guess that's what's needed to remove ghosting, (something i don't notice or see).

however, they do improve contrast. i would suggest grabbing a cheap pair from an outdoors store from the shooting/gun section or amazon probably $5 or less and it actually works pretty good, although some may think you look dorky. :D

Reactions: vandacca
I drove some more with the sunglasses today, and I'm more sure in my assessment. My polarized sunglasses eliminate the ghosting like 95%. If I pay *really* close attention in the right situations, I can still see a slight hint of ghosting, but that's okay.

When I think about it, polarized glasses are really nice in other ways too. It just occurred to me that the reason I suddenly could see people inside other cars is that the reflected light of the sky was gone. Also I didn't see the reflections off the upper dash. Awesome.

With polarized glasses, the colours on my iphone are really crazy though; purple, green, etc. Luckily (well, I guess, by design) the screens in the Tesla are still crystal clear.

Maybe it's possible to get clear glasses with polarized film. I will have to investigate. :D

Reactions: moscard
With polarized glasses, the colours on my iphone are really crazy though; purple, green, etc. Luckily (well, I guess, by design) the screens in the Tesla are still crystal clear
That's how polarizing glasses work. A good way to check if glasses are actually polarized is by tilting your head while wearing the glasses and look at LCD - try that with Tesla, and you'll see that monitor will appear dim and even black. Polarized glasses also would prevent HUD from working as HUD is based on reflection which polarization blocks.

That's how polarizing glasses work. A good way to check if glasses are actually polarized is by tilting your head while wearing the glasses and look at LCD - try that with Tesla, and you'll see that monitor will appear dim and even black. Polarized glasses also would prevent HUD from working as HUD is based on reflection which polarization blocks.
Well, not exactly like that.
Polarizing glasses block about half the light due to wrong polarization. Typical reflections (except from shiny metals and sch) are only polarized one way so that's how when using a polarizing filter on a camera you rotate it to remove unwanted reflections. Also LCDs do a similar trick I think.
Anyway if you believe the polarizing glasses you have remove ghosting, then try to put them sideways and see if ghosting is really back.
If it's not, that means the ghosting removal is for some other reason unrelated to polarization.

Reactions: vandacca