Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How common is ghosting?

How is the ghosting in your Model X?

• Very noticeable both day and night

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • Noticeable both day and night

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Somewhat noticeable during the day, more noticeable at night

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • Noticeable at night

Votes: 40 20.3%
  • Somewhat noticeable at night

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Not noticeable

Votes: 81 41.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now, the ones with mild ghosting, would it be worth to take a risk at persisting on replacement? I mean, the chance of getting it "fixed" is low, but possibility of making it worst is kind of high, or higher, should I say

Now, the ones with mild ghosting, would it be worth to take a risk at persisting on replacement? I mean, the chance of getting it "fixed" is low, but possibility of making it worst is kind of high, or higher, should I say
Depends on how annoying it to you, I guess.
Also if you can get the new -B part.
Most of all, if you are able to convince Tesla that the replacement needs to be made, since obviously no matter the ghosting the glass is within spec ;)

Reactions: ABC2D
April build 90D here. Teensy tiny bit of ghosting during the day. Zero that I can see at night. I figure the daytime ghosting is due to the high glass angle, as I've seen it in other cars. It doesn't bug me in the least and if I stop looking for it, I stop noticing it.

My Service Center let me know today that they procured two -B part windshields with the plan to test them both and then use the best one of the two on my car sometime soon.
So I guess I'll get to verify the theory myself and report here. Also I wonder how would the two compare, planning to ask them once they do their tests.

I don't get to drive my X much when it is dark out, due to DST and being home with an infant most nights. However, I did make two nighttime trips recently with my "B" windshield. The first time I was positive I saw ghosting as an approaching vehicle appeared to have six headlights! My heart sank until it got really close and it was an SUV of some sort that did have three sets of lights on each side! Again was out last night and notice no ghosting that was immediately apparent. It was really the worst in the loaner car on the highway when viewing taillights of cars more than 200 ft ahead of me in traffic. But so far, so good. I will report back if I find anything else.

1034385-01-H is what I have as well and there is ghosting.
There's apparently a new part number that has no reported ghosting 1105964-00-B, at least with the sample size we have ;)
So I was hoping to get more people with that one.
I have a 1105964-00B and I have no ghosting, despite actively looking for it when I drive at night. I took delivery 6/23.

• Helpful
Reactions: verygreen
Got my car today with 1105964-00-B in it - the best windshield I had to date. No ghosting during the day. Night-time testing in a few hours. Will report back.

Also the loaner I had meanwhile was still on the old -H part and the ghosting was pretty severe.

Got my car today with 1105964-00-B in it - the best windshield I had to date. No ghosting during the day. Night-time testing in a few hours. Will report back.

Also the loaner I had meanwhile was still on the old -H part and the ghosting was pretty severe.

Did Tesla replace your windshield? They did some sort of laser test on mine and said it was within tolerance and refused to replace it (even though the ghosting is really bad). Did they do the same test on your windshield? I am curious because their seems to be a of consistency with which windshields they replace and which they don't.

Last edited:
Did Tesla replace your windshield? They did some sort of laser test on mine and said it was within tolerance and refused to replace it (even though the ghosting is really bad). Did they do the same test on your windshield? I am curious because their seems to be a lack some consistency with which windshields they replace and which they don't.
Yes, replaced by Tesla.
First replacement was to the same partnumber as the original windshield (1034385-01-H) and made things significantly worse. Both were deemed within spec by the laser tool (I did not see the results as the service center is some 180 miles from me).
First replacement was because the tint was scratched on the original one and I found the scratch at delivery.
In fact when doing replacement for the first time, they tested the replacement windshield and it was out of spec so they ordered another one and I only get to see that (And it was awful, but within spec).

The second replacement was a goodwill replacement for all the trouble I went with all the other repairs of my car (filed a first step of a lemon law claim), at that time I requested the new partnumber that was reported at the time as having no ghosting in new cars, this seems to be mostly true.
This time they ordered two from the get go, tested them and said that the better one of the two was installed but it's still not ideal, will find about that soon I guess, still a massive-massive improvement form my point of view, at least during the day (I mostly drive during daylight time anyway).

• Informative
Reactions: EV-lutioin
Glad i came back to these ghosting threads and found out about the new windscreen. I have had the X for 6 months and knew about it but since i also wear glasses and have always experienced fuzzy/halos with lights on cars at night, i never thought to determine if my X was 'worse'. I decided this week it is. Husband noticed it day 1. But i think we fit into the category of people who have it but aren't obsessing about it.

However if i can get it rectified, this changes the ballgame.

Just returned from the night drive. I can no longer tell if the halos I am seeing are due to my bad vision, my glasses or the windshield.
If I take the glasses off some artifacts disappear but blurriness increases.
Most importantly there's no very distinct and annoying duplicate images floating above every bright spot anymore, so I am going to declare this one as a fixed problem, at least for me.

Reactions: *KT*