Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How common is ghosting?

How is the ghosting in your Model X?

• Very noticeable both day and night

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • Noticeable both day and night

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Somewhat noticeable during the day, more noticeable at night

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • Noticeable at night

Votes: 40 20.3%
  • Somewhat noticeable at night

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Not noticeable

Votes: 81 41.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my windshield replaced last week with the following parts. The new windshield has significantly less ghosting than my original March 2016 one, but it still is somewhat noticeable when looking at red lights at night. I was never horribly bothered by the original one, but this one is much better.

MX WSHLD ASSEMBLY MONO-CAM HWAK4D-3 (1066747-01-C) 1
DOW BETALSEAL EXPRESS - 310ML (1048645-00-A) 2
Chemical, Betaprime, 10ml (1059658-00-A) 1
ASSY OHC HARNESS MX 12.5mm (1067589-80-A) 1
MX SOP,MODULE,SENSOR,LIGHT/RAINW/ HUD (1068171-00-A) 1

Had my windshield replaced last week with the following parts. The new windshield has significantly less ghosting than my original March 2016 one, but it still is somewhat noticeable when looking at red lights at night. I was never horribly bothered by the original one, but this one is much better.

MX WSHLD ASSEMBLY MONO-CAM HWAK4D-3 (1066747-01-C) 1
DOW BETALSEAL EXPRESS - 310ML (1048645-00-A) 2
Chemical, Betaprime, 10ml (1059658-00-A) 1
ASSY OHC HARNESS MX 12.5mm (1067589-80-A) 1
MX SOP,MODULE,SENSOR,LIGHT/RAINW/ HUD (1068171-00-A) 1
none of the new part are windshield, though though it does list chemicals to glue the windshield in.

Also congrats on getting the HUD ;)

Strange, those are the only parts listed on the invoice. I just assumed the first one was the glass. Yes, I just noticed the "HUD" too. But sad to say I do not have any new HUD features :(
I guess 1066747-01-C might be the part number for the glass, a special one for the AP1 cars - you can confirm that by looking at the right bottom corner of the windshield to see the part number there. It looks like service centers default to ordering same replacement part for you unless they know better or you specifically ask them to get a different one.

The HUD will be software activated at a later date ;)

Took delivery of a 90D April build, haven't noticed any ghosting.

01-H

I have limited time behind the glass, but I was actively looking for ghosting. Will update if I notice any over the next week or so.

Update:

I have noticed ghosting since raising my seat height. I can completely remove the ghosting effect by dipping my head down about an inch. I'm not particularly bothered by it, but since noticing it on the Model X I have also noticed it in the Leaf, but only at a certain distance.

Reactions: jlarmstr
Interesting... I haven't noticed any issues day or night with visibility. I guess I'll have to look harder for the problem, LOL. It is concerning though, as I read somewhere on the forum about someone being blinded by the ghosting problem for 10-15 seconds...

Update:

I have noticed ghosting since raising my seat height. I can completely remove the ghosting effect by dipping my head down about an inch. I'm not particularly bothered by it, but since noticing it on the Model X I have also noticed it in the Leaf, but only at a certain distance.

Yep, same here.... if I dip my head down a little, an inch or two, goes away.

Reactions: JohnSnowNW
Great input from everyone on this site. Will pick up model x in a few days. Build date of July 12, 2017. Will call tomorrow and ask my rep to get the glass # and see if it is a B or H. In two test drives of X, one last year and one two weeks ago, didn't notice any ghosting but these were both day time. Also, am 6' 7" which may help. As others have pointed, I don't want to looking too hard for problems but I am in a situation where I can talk to them directly about how the problem is being addressed....before I accept the vehicle and hand them a big check! Will let you know.

Great input from everyone on this site. Will pick up model x in a few days. Build date of July 12, 2017. Will call tomorrow and ask my rep to get the glass # and see if it is a B or H. In two test drives of X, one last year and one two weeks ago, didn't notice any ghosting but these were both day time. Also, am 6' 7" which may help. As others have pointed, I don't want to looking too hard for problems but I am in a situation where I can talk to them directly about how the problem is being addressed....before I accept the vehicle and hand them a big check! Will let you know.
Great idea to do a pre-emptive strike on the windshield at delivery.

Yes, pretty much.
Note that if you just ask for a windshield replacement - chances are they'll order another -H, so need to be specific about the new part number.
That's what I did when I dropped my X for service last week to fix a few things. I specifically requested 1105964-00-B and was pleasantly surprised when got a text message that they have ordered it. I will pick up the car later today and report if ghosting is gone.

upload_2017-8-30_10-5-8.png