Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How common is ghosting?

How is the ghosting in your Model X?

• Very noticeable both day and night

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • Noticeable both day and night

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Somewhat noticeable during the day, more noticeable at night

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • Noticeable at night

Votes: 40 20.3%
  • Somewhat noticeable at night

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Not noticeable

Votes: 81 41.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an 01-B loaner car this week and the ghosting was very bad, even in daylight.

My car was in for a very large crack in my 00-B windshield. I insisted on the replacement part being 00-B, which they were able to order...parts delivery took a couple extra days, but it was worth the wait.

I am struggling with the decision whether to replace my windshield or not. Mine is early built AP1 car and I do have ghosting. For AP1 cars though part number is the same, so my SA offered replacement, but he said it may make zero difference. In addition, I have Blackvue dashcam installed with wiring going through center channel and I will have to pay again if windshield is replaced to reinstall it. What do you guys think?

how do they know if AP2 windshield does not fit on AP1 car? I don't think it should matter? Cannot you just ask them to order the AP2 00-B part and try installing it anyway? I know that they default to ordering what you had even on AP2 and so you need to ask for a different part specifically.

Reactions: Cowby
I am struggling with the decision whether to replace my windshield or not. Mine is early built AP1 car and I do have ghosting. For AP1 cars though part number is the same, so my SA offered replacement, but he said it may make zero difference. In addition, I have Blackvue dashcam installed with wiring going through center channel and I will have to pay again if windshield is replaced to reinstall it. What do you guys think?

Well, if you can figure out whether or not a 00-B part works on an AP1 car, then I would recommend trying a 00-B car to see what the difference is. (If the part won't fit, perhaps don't try a 00-B in case you get frustrated.)

For those asking, scheduled my original appointment with a couple weeks' notice and specified 00-B at that point and then confirmed the part with a couple days ago. We did have to reschedule my appointment back two days for the part to come in from Fremont, but I'm not sure if that means they ordered it with a couple days' notice or if it was really ordered all along. I was also getting a new windshield I was paying for (due to a crack) instead of a warranty replacement, so the SC could have looked at the situation differently (not sure, just speculating).

• Helpful
how do they know if AP2 windshield does not fit on AP1 car? I don't think it should matter? Cannot you just ask them to order the AP2 00-B part and try installing it anyway? I know that they default to ordering what you had even on AP2 and so you need to ask for a different part specifically.

Wait, you mean 1105964-00-B does not fit AP1 cars? Has anyone with API successfully replaced the windshield and eliminated ghosting? If so, what part number windshield was installed? I am getting mine replaced next week (after a 1.5 years of pestering Tesla), so I want to make sure I get the correct windshield!

• Informative
Wait, you mean 1105964-00-B does not fit AP1 cars? Has anyone with API successfully replaced the windshield and eliminated ghosting? If so, what part number windshield was installed? I am getting mine replaced next week (after a 1.5 years of pestering Tesla), so I want to make sure I get the correct windshield!
I don't know, somebody upthread posted that 1105964-00-B would not fit AP1 car, but I have hard time believing that.

My SA (who is a great guy and has done tons of things for me without asking) says AP1 and AP2 windshields are different and if I wanted to replace my AP1 ghosting windshield the part number would be exactly the same.

My car was at the service center to get a charger upgrade, and at the same time they checked my windscreen for ghosting. I thought it would be mostly a formality, because the ghosting is absolutely terrible.

Well, they said that they could confirm it had ghosting, but that it was within spec and wouldn't replace it. Quite disappointing.

They should realize that "within spec" is not the same as "good enough". This is one area where my Model X is currently quite inferior to the competitors.

I haven't decided yet what to do. Either try to talk to someone else, pay for a 00-B myself or just live with it and hope I get struck by rocks in the near future so that the insurance will cover it.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Just got off the phone with SC in SLC, Utah. My 100D Model X is there being detailed. The rep went out and looked at the windshield. Bad news is that it is 1034385-01-H. This implies that new builds, ours was July 12, 2017, are still being built with the old H windshields. This car was being built for a showroom in Alabama, we found it on a lot in LA waiting to be shipped there.
The rep on the phone did not know anything about ghosting ......snip......
maybe he's new ....

My car was at the service center to get a charger upgrade, and at the same time they checked my windscreen for ghosting. I thought it would be mostly a formality, because the ghosting is absolutely terrible.

Well, they said that they could confirm it had ghosting, but that it was within spec and wouldn't replace it. Quite disappointing.

They should realize that "within spec" is not the same as "good enough". This is one area where my Model X is currently quite inferior to the competitors.

I haven't decided yet what to do. Either try to talk to someone else, pay for a 00-B myself or just live with it and hope I get struck by rocks in the near future so that the insurance will cover it.
File a report with the NHTSA. File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Ghosting at night on a busy highway is flat out dangerous (I think that's not the only situation, but it's a pretty clear cut one). Given that they have a new part number that "solves" it, I don't think it is inconceivable that enough NHTSA complaints will help us overcome Tesla's reluctance to replace this piece of crap part on our six figure cars.

My SA advised that Part # "1105964-00-B" does not exist anymore and was replaced by 1066747-01-B as further improvement.
I'd ask another SA or try to reach out to another Service Center. It seems insane that they'd fix the problem and then stop making the solution. I wouldn't put it past them to do the insane, mind you. I'm just hoping your SA is wrong/lying/lazy/etc.

If mine doesn't get replaced, I'll update with the NHTSA that Tesla made a fixed windshield but refuses to replace. We have to pressure Tesla to do the right thing, unfortunately.

I'd ask another SA or try to reach out to another Service Center. It seems insane that they'd fix the problem and then stop making the solution. I wouldn't put it past them to do the insane, mind you. I'm just hoping your SA is wrong/lying/lazy/etc.

If mine doesn't get replaced, I'll update with the NHTSA that Tesla made a fixed windshield but refuses to replace. We have to pressure Tesla to do the right thing, unfortunately.

No, what my SA said is that the -00-B had a further revision to make the solution even better. the -01-B is a "better fix" according to them (Confirmed with 2 different Service Centres)