Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How common is ghosting?

How is the ghosting in your Model X?

• Very noticeable both day and night

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • Noticeable both day and night

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Somewhat noticeable during the day, more noticeable at night

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • Noticeable at night

Votes: 40 20.3%
  • Somewhat noticeable at night

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Not noticeable

Votes: 81 41.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have had some ghosting issues, but were told our windscreen was within specs. As it mostly affects me and my wife is daily driver we were OK with that.
Yesterday Tesla called unannounced to set up an appointment to replace our windscreen with another ghosting free windscreen.
Time will tell if this solves the problem.

We have had some ghosting issues, but were told our windscreen was within specs. As it mostly affects me and my wife is daily driver we were OK with that.
Yesterday Tesla called unannounced to set up an appointment to replace our windscreen with another ghosting free windscreen.
Time will tell if this solves the problem.
So your SC contacted you to replace it despite being within spec?

So your SC contacted you to replace it despite being within spec?[/QUOTE
Haha and then there’s me, my SC told me to bring it in and they’d replace it, and then my SA was “Let Go” during the mass layoffs back late last year and they backed off their word.

Escalated it to my district manager, but all the other staff denied any knowledge of what the previous SA said and so even that was of no use.

It's not a bad idea to get everything in writing. If they promise something, email them with a recap of the conversation and ask them to reply back to confirm that they're in agreement with your summary. It's good practice for any verbal exchanges (except I don't recommend using it with spouses ;))

• Informative
Reactions: derkan
It's not a bad idea to get everything in writing. If they promise something, email them with a recap of the conversation and ask them to reply back to confirm that they're in agreement with your summary. It's good practice for any verbal exchanges (except I don't recommend using it with spouses ;))
Yep, lesson learned going forward, I just always had more faith in Tesla doing the right thing.

In case anyone is still interested, my windshield was just replaced for ghosting. It was so bad, that it even failed Tesla's diagnostic test. The new windshield has absolutely no ghosting what so ever, so they figured out this problem. Interestingly, the part number is different from what's been posted below. It's now 1105964-00-D. Note the last letter is now D.

I tried to go back through all the posts here but does anyone have any advice on trying to get the windshield replaced due to this issue? Two separate Service Centers have tested in and have responded that it's in spec. There is definitely ghosting appearing though to the point that all of our passengers that sit shotgun comment on the issue. I've heard of other people getting them replaced I'm just trying to figure out how much push back is needed. The escalation process on Tesla's site came back with the response that since he can't see my car we just need to trust the service center. I'm currently waiting on a part to be delivered to fix an issue with our second row seats. Once it's in I'm going to have the third Service Center look at the windshield. Another frustrating part is our Loaner X didn't have any issue with it so I know it's not something that should be normal.

Reason we've been to so many different locations is that we've moved from our original location. Our new area has 3 Service Centers.

From what I’ve read, the bar to get it replaced by Tesla is high (though it’s worth a shot as really bad windshields will fail their “laser” test and then they will do so).

I happened to have a large rock chip this past summer so had to replace my non-ghosting windshield...it was about $1,100-ish total cost, parts and labor. So I’d say if you do have a ghosting issue, is your suffering worth saving $1,000?

For me that would be an easy decision since the X is so awesome and fun to drive. Have them test it, and if they say the windshield is good, pay for a replacement anyway and put the nightmare behind you. Good luck either way!

Reactions: Cowby
I tried to go back through all the posts here but does anyone have any advice on trying to get the windshield replaced due to this issue? Two separate Service Centers have tested in and have responded that it's in spec. There is definitely ghosting appearing though to the point that all of our passengers that sit shotgun comment on the issue. I've heard of other people getting them replaced I'm just trying to figure out how much push back is needed. The escalation process on Tesla's site came back with the response that since he can't see my car we just need to trust the service center. I'm currently waiting on a part to be delivered to fix an issue with our second row seats. Once it's in I'm going to have the third Service Center look at the windshield. Another frustrating part is our Loaner X didn't have any issue with it so I know it's not something that should be normal.

Reason we've been to so many different locations is that we've moved from our original location. Our new area has 3 Service Centers.

Tesla will not replace your windshield no matter how bad it is. I would suggest you file a complaint with your states Attorney General, there should be a person that handles car issues. You can also take a bunch of photos and videos, replace the windshield and take Tesla to small claims.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
In case anyone is still interested, my windshield was just replaced for ghosting. It was so bad, that it even failed Tesla's diagnostic test. The new windshield has absolutely no ghosting what so ever, so they figured out this problem. Interestingly, the part number is different from what's been posted below. It's now 1105964-00-D. Note the last letter is now D.

It looks like they're continually trying to figure out the problem.

1106012-00 = AP1/Monocam LHD, last letter is denomination of the version/change. Most current seems to be B
1105964-00 = AP2/HW2.0 LHD, last letter is denomination of the version/change. Most current seems to be D
1105965-00 = AP2/HW2.0 RHD, last letter is denomination of the version/change. Most current seems to be D

There's also an interesting part number in the catalog.
1076109-01-C = RHD but doesn't specify Monocam or HW2.0. Actual part description: MX WSHLD ASSEMBLY COYOTE RHD HWA K4D-3
Given that it's RHD, I'm guessing it was AP1; but it's interesting as the part numbers and description might indicate a completely different manufacturer. Some other ones such as @DuplexDianne posted (1066747-01-B) isn't available at all anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: Paul8810
The "B" windshield has a much more fun effect than ghosting. Spotlights shine from headlights at certain angles. It's either straight up into the sky or horizontal across the windshield. Hard to get the right angle, but happens with certain hues of light at the right height in the windshield. No ghosting though, so I supthats an improvement.
is this the case? anyone else encounter this?
I have a choice between 1106012-00-A and 1106012-00-B

Actually, after driving with mine for a few months, I no longer think mine is flawless. ;)

I feel like the reflection of the dash/speaker grille is much more pronounced (either that or I just forgot that it was equally bad before).
There's a bit of a bulge at the extreme far right side of the windshield, I get a bit of distortion there AND I do have ghosting in that area as well (does not bother me at all in there).

But all those things are super minor compared to the ghosting I had before so I am still pretty happy about the windshield I have now.

I just picked up my model x 2022 long-range, I see the speaker grill reflection on the windshield, very noticeable under sunlight. Were you ever able to get that resolved?

no, that was never resolved.
The windshield Tesla used is just like that I guess. Also they are often imperfect in other ways, I have some minor ghosting on the edges and also with green colors in particular seemingly in a lot more areas(noticeable at dusk with green lights). And then of course the glass is sagging in anothre spot so there's pretty bad distortion there, luckily it's to the side so again not as important.

Also definitely never ever every try to see any additional imperfections in your windshield, once you see them - you cannot unsee and will see them every single time.

no, that was never resolved.
The windshield Tesla used is just like that I guess. Also they are often imperfect in other ways, I have some minor ghosting on the edges and also with green colors in particular seemingly in a lot more areas(noticeable at dusk with green lights). And then of course the glass is sagging in anothre spot so there's pretty bad distortion there, luckily it's to the side so again not as important.

Also definitely never ever every try to see any additional imperfections in your windshield, once you see them - you cannot unsee and will see them every single time.

I got a dulling spray that I use for photography eliminates some of the glare which helped a little bit. At least I don’t see the reflection on overcast days. I also made a cardboard with the darkest matte paint put in front dash board. It’s ugly . Sometimes I’m not sure which is worse, looking at the cardboard or looking at the windshield. For sunny days I got a polarized sunglasses that completely get rid of the grid pattern.

Living in the South Bay Area CA gives me advantage to find friends who knows people on the model X design team. I sent them the photos and complained to them.