Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How common is it to get a Lemon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has your situation qualified for California Lemon law?

From California Lemon Laws | DMV.ORG:
In California, a vehicle is presumed to be a “lemon" by the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act if, within 18 months of the vehicle's delivery to the buyer (or 18,000 miles on the odometer):
  • 2 attempts or more have been made by the manufacturer to repair a warranty problem that could result in death or serious injury.
  • The manufacturer has attempted to repair the same warranty problem at least 4 times.
  • The car has been out of service for 30 days or more for repair to warranty problems.
  • Problems to the vehicle are not the result of abuse by the owner.
If your car qualifies as a lemon, the manufacturer has the responsibility of either:
  • Replacing your vehicle.
  • Refunding you for the vehicle's purchase price.
There's also a clause or something we sign when we take ownership about arbitration that "could" affect procedural activities. Maybe someone can give more information non this.

I bought a Model X a few months ago and it's constantly in the shop. The regional manager, Chris Carroll, will not replace the vehicle or refund my money. Anyone else had a similar experience? Any idea who to contact at Tesla to make this right?
follow the proper procedure once you are eligible and send the proper letter of notification asking for the car to be taken away. That's what usually Triggers Teesla to "voluntarily" buy your car back. if they don't, follow on with the subsequent steps outlined there.

Reactions: VikH
There are very specific requirements to trigger the lemon law.
Make sure you document every minute the car is in Tesla's possession.
Make sure you document exactly what needed repair, and whether they repaired it.
Do not get a lawyer until you have reached the threshold (you probably have), presented Tesla with the list of dates and repairs, and document their refusal.
Good luck.

Technically, I could lemon mine. It had a day zero factory defect, it has been in 5 times, and the defect still persists. I just don't want the aggravation. I can't even get them to warranty their HPWC that failed immediately. It's like a fist fight to work with their customer service system.

Reactions: outdoors
Make sure you document exactly what needed repair, and whether they repaired it.
Do not get a lawyer until you have reached the threshold (you probably have), presented Tesla with the list of dates and repairs, and document their refusal.
Good luck.
Good luck.
Thank you