Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How common is the Model X by you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
I was at Target in Dublin, CA last Sunday at 9AM and noticed that out of the 30 or so cars, 3 were model Xs. Is it the same by you?

I guess this explains why the 16 stall Supercharger at the service center only had 4 slots open at 8:15AM Sunday and has a valet on weekdays.

In the Saratoga-Los Gatos, CA area, the ratio seems about the same...with lots of Model 3s on the road now.

I had to promise my wife to not say "There's a Model 3" any more.

Ha, I bet my wife is going to make me make the same promise.

We were going down 237 the other day and we counted 30 Teslas in the 5 mile stretch. All in the carpool lane, of course. Like you say a lot of Model 3's

A few days ago, I saw 4 Model X's (5 total including my own) in the span of 2 blocks around downtown Davis. There's at least one Tesla S or X in each cul de sac or block in my neighborhood, about a dozen total. Model 3 also increasing in the area. I see several a day now.

Toyota better get busy with EVs. Prius and hybrid Camry's and Highlander's are no longer king here.

There is a psychological term to explain some of this. It is call reticular activation.

When you own or are interested in a item, you will become hyper-aware when you come across one.

If you own a green Mercedes, you will take extra notice of all the green Mercedes you see.

I was at Target in Dublin, CA last Sunday at 9AM and noticed that out of the 30 or so cars, 3 were model Xs. Is it the same by you?

I guess this explains why the 16 stall Supercharger at the service center only had 4 slots open at 8:15AM Sunday and has a valet on weekdays.
Could it be that the SC is preparing the cars for customer delivery, so some of the stalls are taken? We have passed Dublin on the way back from San Francisco - this was mid-June on Friday @ 6:20 am:

IMG_5953.jpg

Over here I start seeing a handful of Model X recently, but it is still quite rare (unless you happen to be at a supercharger). I'd say it is actually more common to spot Model 3 than X in the wild!

I can also confirm everything I've heard about how common Teslas are in Bay Area - so much so that I stopped paying attention when spotting one. There was one time I was waiting to join the freeway. To my right there were 5 cars waiting to merge on (2 Model X, 2 Model 3 and 1 Model S)! In North Texas that would be a small Tesla owners gathering :)

Could it be that the SC is preparing the cars for customer delivery, so some of the stalls are taken? We have passed Dublin on the way back from San Francisco - this was mid-June on Friday @ 6:20 am:

View attachment 313104

Over here I start seeing a handful of Model X recently, but it is still quite rare (unless you happen to be at a supercharger). I'd say it is actually more common to spot Model 3 than X in the wild!

I can also confirm everything I've heard about how common Teslas are in Bay Area - so much so that I stopped paying attention when spotting one. There was one time I was waiting to join the freeway. To my right there were 5 cars waiting to merge on (2 Model X, 2 Model 3 and 1 Model S)! In North Texas that would be a small Tesla owners gathering :)

This is definitely not normal . I don't think that I have every seen the place that empty. Friday light commute I suppose? In the Bay Area a large amount of people "work from home" on Friday. Where there cars in the other bank of Superchargers to the right? Someone told me those are faster.

FWIW, Your shot is take from 30 feet where they they have the valet booth. At the end of that row they put a maroon umbrella and a lectern. BTW, did you see anyone in that trailer? I have seen that thing there for a couple month. Is this one of Elon's many homes? Was he washing up with a garden hose with his "Bankwupt" sign?:D

There as so many Teslas in the bay area that that you almost never hear of an owners gathering. Unless you count the 30 cars parked each morning at the service entrance to the left and behind where you are standing.

Last edited:
FWIW, Your shot is take from about 15 feet from where they they have the valet booth. It has a maroon umbrella and a lectern. BTW, did you see anyone in the trailer? I have seen that thing there for a couple month. Is this one of Elon's many homes? Was he washing up with a garden hose with his "Bankwupt" sign?:D
No living soul could be spotted anywhere nearby. It almost felt that I am trespassing :D

No living soul could be spotted anywhere nearby. It almost felt that I am trespassing :D

Well next time you are there you can walk straight ahead on the street on the left and get to a Safeway grocery store with a Starbucks in it. Or if you want a real Starbucks, take a left at the light where the Safeway is and walk up 2-3 blocks. It is a safe area.

And send me a message and we can meet!

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
Wow! Around here we are usually the only one and are super excited if we see a second one.
I saw two yesterday on Anderson Mill, a silver and a blue. There was a black P90D (maybe it was 100) at Costco on 183 this past weekend as well. Other than that, yeah they're pretty rare. My blue gets here next month hopefully. I think there's more than I originally thought, though I think I'll be the first with an X at work :p

Great stories from Cali - nice to see progress toward Tesla’s mission statement. In Boston south suburbs a Tesla is a rare sight generally. Glad to report 3 to 6 MS, one M3 and just a couple MX new to the area during 2018 thus far. In another thread the one DS in state/NE reporting 15 M3 deliveries per day for a while now. Bad part is impossible to get attention as an existing owner and may need to escalate (been waiting in windshield replacement since delivery in Dec).