Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How concerned are you about the warranty (or lack thereof)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, but what I mean is, as an example, I've had 3 rear light replacements. I'm not convinced the replacements are of a new or better design. What if they go wrong (get water droplets inside) at least once a year? How much are they going to cost me to replace every X months?

Stuff like that really. If I had a 2021 car with a powered boot I'd be wondering how many times (and at what cost) I'd have to pay for a new strut to be fitted.
Were the lights covered by extended warranty? I see "light bulbs" are excluded in the agreement, but a number of LEDs in the tail light assembly are going on mine, and they denied coverage. I am thinking about fighting it. I am happy to replace any light bulbs on my own at my expense, but over $800CAD for rear light assemblies seems unreasonable and this is not just "wear and tear". LEDs are expected to last longer than bulbs.

I saw a couple of charts that put this car on the same level as a Toyota Camary, and if we are saving that much on gas, that should in a "perfect" world take care of any repairs
2015 Model S had the following issues in the past 8 months:
- sensor issue disabled cruise control
- a/c stopped working, high pressure a/c pipe issue (curious if it's related to the A/C service to replace the dessicant bag)
- replace VCM for eMMC (recall)
- parking break caliper replaced
- horn stopped working (terrible thing to learn when you need it)
- LEDs in the tailgate burning out.

This is no Toyota Camry, unless a Camry is worse than I thought. (I had a 2008 Mazda 3 that had fewer issues in 14 years of ownership)

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
5.5 years old, 60k, cleaned once every 6 months, in daily use.

However, it's absolutely not a Toyota, I'm expecting either the AC or Air suspension to throw a hissy fit at somepoint over the next 12 months, if not both.

52661423975_86ff9329fb_k_d.jpg

52661263174_a8bb2457ee_k_d.jpg

Reactions: Sean.
Has anyone in the UK bought this Helvetia extended warranty insurance and then made a claim? I’m uber suspicious of these warranties having been burned previously with repairs being denied or some other con - e.g. in one case the repairer refused to do the work (replacing a suspension wishbone that was worn and caused a failed MOT) because the warranty company “standard rate” for the job was below what he’d accept.

5.5 years old, 60k, cleaned once every 6 months, in daily use.

However, it's absolutely not a Toyota, I'm expecting either the AC or Air suspension to throw a hissy fit at somepoint over the next 12 months, if not both.

52661423975_86ff9329fb_k_d.jpg

52661263174_a8bb2457ee_k_d.jpg
Your interior looks fab from here 😅 seriously the seats look in great shape for a daily driver.

I think we’re roughly on the same age trajectory. I’ve clocked up more miles. Past 81K now. HV battery seems sound. FW doors and seals seem fine. No death rattles or squeaks really.

Ancillaries seem to be the achilles of these cars rather than inherent drivetrain.

I’m expecting air suspension struts will be the next to go before 100K. They sag a bit if the car sits for an extended time (more than a week say).

Reactions: gangzoom
They told me Tesla don't allow them to keep parts in stock, but are quite happy to sell parts at cost prices as long as they have a VIN number.
Yeah a random garage from Sutton-In-Ashfield either guessed up my VIN or the parts gal from Tesla on the phone just borrowed mine - so I had a mystery paid invoice for a 12V battery land in my Tesla inbox one day…

It was like a premonition, as mine then packed it in about 7 months later 😅

I'm expecting either the AC or Air suspension to throw a hissy fit at somepoint over the next 12 months, if not both.
A timely thread for us both…

Merc air struts you reckon? OP reckons the Wabco compressor / Lucas motor is found on various VAG cars too.

Yeah a random garage from Sutton-In-Ashfield either guessed up my VIN or the parts gal from Tesla on the phone just borrowed mine - so I had a mystery paid invoice for a 12V battery land in my Tesla inbox one day…

It was like a premonition, as mine then packed it in about 7 months later 😅

Our car got swapped out on delivery day so a few things that I early purchased on the original Vin are assigned to whoever got our original car.

Obvs not exactly your scenario, but purchases where a Vin is given seem to be easily incorrectly allocated. They did also change their systems some time ago and that also seemed to be the source of some mixups.

Possible that your Vin/car got reallocated at some point?

I just hope we don’t need to do a warranty claim on any of them. Unfortunately I cannot find any ‘paperwork’ with our original Vin on it.

A couple of points to note :

Warranty fixes in general will be highest in the first few months of owning the car - and this seems especially true in Teslas as Tesla seem to be shooting for build it right and don't inspect before delivery which sometimes goes wrong and as a relatively new manufacturer there are parts which may not be as bedded in as legacy manufacturers.

In general if you can afford to cover a risk then you're better off "self insuring" by just covering the costs if/when they occur. The insurance companies don't do this out of the kindness of their hearts - they do it to make money. They have very sophisticated ways of assessing risk and in the case of higher uncertaintiy they make sure that's reflected in the premium (the house always wins). Of course you may be willing to pay a premium for peace of mind and while you might be able to cover every eventuality you may not want to, so I'm not criticising anyone who makes that personal choice.

Also people might be happy to tell you about the time they "made" money on extended warranties but those who faithfully paid but never made a claim are less vocal.

Disclaimer - I'm a cynic by nature (but I think that's obvious !)

A couple of points to note :

Warranty fixes in general will be highest in the first few months of owning the car - and this seems especially true in Teslas as Tesla seem to be shooting for build it right and don't inspect before delivery which sometimes goes wrong and as a relatively new manufacturer there are parts which may not be as bedded in as legacy manufacturers.

In general if you can afford to cover a risk then you're better off "self insuring" by just covering the costs if/when they occur. The insurance companies don't do this out of the kindness of their hearts - they do it to make money. They have very sophisticated ways of assessing risk and in the case of higher uncertaintiy they make sure that's reflected in the premium (the house always wins). Of course you may be willing to pay a premium for peace of mind and while you might be able to cover every eventuality you may not want to, so I'm not criticising anyone who makes that personal choice.

Also people might be happy to tell you about the time they "made" money on extended warranties but those who faithfully paid but never made a claim are less vocal.

Disclaimer - I'm a cynic by nature (but I think that's obvious !)
You are completely correct about the insurance company pricing to minimise their risk of loss across the inured pool. But as an individual there is an element of luck involved. To use a simple example, say the insurance company covers 1,000 vehicles. Across that pool only a small number will ever make a claim on the insurance, and priced correctly by the insurer they will never lose. However, the small number of owners who experience an insured problem will benefit from having the insurance. So, the luck factor is: are you one the few who will have a problem or one of the many who don't?

I am not advocating for or against taking extended warranty insurance. Personally I take insurance to cover the large things that would be painful to cover on my own, and therefore opt for high co-payments on all my insurance products (auto, home, PMI etc). The tolerance level of what is acceptable out-of-pocket will vary from person to person based on their financial circumstances.

You are completely correct about the insurance company pricing to minimise their risk of loss across the inured pool. But as an individual there is an element of luck involved. To use a simple example, say the insurance company covers 1,000 vehicles. Across that pool only a small number will ever make a claim on the insurance, and priced correctly by the insurer they will never lose. However, the small number of owners who experience an insured problem will benefit from having the insurance. So, the luck factor is: are you one the few who will have a problem or one of the many who don't?

I am not advocating for or against taking extended warranty insurance. Personally I take insurance to cover the large things that would be painful to cover on my own, and therefore opt for high co-payments on all my insurance products (auto, home, PMI etc). The tolerance level of what is acceptable out-of-pocket will vary from person to person based on their financial circumstances.
I think we are pretty much agreeing (unusual for a forum !)

Different people - different strokes.

You can spread the risk yourself by taking that approach across a whole range of products - I cheap out on house and car insurance taking out the bare minimum I can cope with (but making sure the things I couldn't cope with are covered e.g. I don't care about a hire car as we are a 2 car household, have relatively high excesses as I know I can cover them, but in the event of a large loss I'm covered)), never taking out extended warranties or the "pushed" policies in shops etc - so far I *think* I'm up on the deal.

On the other hand I do have life insurance as even though the probability of me dying in the next year statistically is vanishingly small the effect would be devastating (at least to me lol)

Reactions: KennethS
I read something elsewhere about buying used Teslas but it probably applies to us owners as well. With Tesla using chips that weren't automotive standard during the covid supply chain issues, that might be an issue for owners down the line. What if these chips fail and they cause knock on issue, or are maybe just hard to access. Or god forbid, makes the car less safe if chips fail?

Its a bit of a worry if I'm honest although I don't know much about chips and what they do.

I read something elsewhere about buying used Teslas but it probably applies to us owners as well. With Tesla using chips that weren't automotive standard during the covid supply chain issues, that might be an issue for owners down the line. What if these chips fail and they cause knock on issue, or are maybe just hard to access. Or god forbid, makes the car less safe if chips fail?

Its a bit of a worry if I'm honest although I don't know much about chips and what they do.
You pays your money and takes your chances :) - "automotive standard" can mean many things it can mean a threshold above which components are considered to meet the standard or they can be standard simply because its what everybody uses.

They are mainstream components readily available in the supply chain hence why Tesla were able to maintain production, and legacy auto had issues because the components they were using were obsolete in other sectors. When auto companies cancelled their orders component makers switched their lines to more lucrative (i.e. newer) components and cannot (or don't want to switch back).

So the potential issues are reliability and availability of spares. Spares are more likely to be easier to get as the components are more "modern".

While the Jury is out on reliability Tesla put a lot of time and effort into simplifying their vehicles so there should be less components to go wrong and also that's why they put in things like cabin overheating protection so the components aren't subjected to as large an extreme of conditions.

Reactions: 2020M3SR