Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How concerned are you about the warranty (or lack thereof)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
Hi,

My car has just passed 2 years old, and I've done hardly any miles (less than 3000). Ordinarily with a regular ICE car from another manufacturer I'm not sure I'd be too worried, since it would generally be piling on the miles that led to bigger bills, but with Tesla I'm not sure what to think.

"They don't really need any maintenance" is something I keep hearing, and whilst that's true, I feel like my Tesla is a bit unique in so much that I've had to have a few minor things fixed under warranty. Specifically, I'm on my second set of rear taillights (well, one side is on first replacement, other side is on second) due to condensation. How much will they cost when I'm out of warranty, since the design is clearly faulty?

Also, while it doesn't affect me, I keep reading about people's powered boot struts failing. How much will that be out of warranty every time it goes wrong?

Perhaps I'm overthinking it, but I started to wonder this morning, with only 2 years left on my warranty and a small amount of miles done, am I going to be looking at regular annoying bills once it expires?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I don’t think Tesla are much different from other cars. I’ve had terrible experiences in the past with some marques (notably Renault), and even the BMWs I had came with their fair share of issues ( e.g. two new steering racks on a F31 335i). You may be lucky, you may not be. There’s always insurance if you very concerned about unexpected costs (but be careful with the policy wording, my experience is that they too often don’t fully cover the costs).

For my my first (high mileage) car I booked it in for service just before 50K miles (warranty reduced on some items at that point). Listed everything that needed fixing (e.g. leather was a bit loose on the steering wheel, that was replaced, etc.) .. .and then didn't bother with any service after that (nor the extended insurance, I did consider that, but thought it was expensive), and then handed the car back as a trade-in after another 45K miles with no further service. I never bothered to get the rear condensation fixed on the M3 (nor had ant "official" service), just handed that back as trade-in in that state.

Reactions: Durzel
I guess it’s too early for anyone to have done this for a Model 3 in the UK yet, but has anyone who has done it with an S or X able to give a indication of cost?
You can get a quote online easily enough (just quote your VIN) and the cover begins when your current 4 year warranty ends. For my 2021/6 M3LR the cost was around £2400 for 4 years and £1200 for 2 years.

Edit - what @KennethS said.

The costs are clear and easy to obtain a quote. My 2021 M3 will be £2428 for an additional 4 yrs/50k miles. However, the list of exclusions is extensive and I think I'd need convincing it was worthwhile. The motor and battery are covered under the Tesla 8 yr 120k mile warranty. Looking through the T&C, exclusions include e.g.

" brake pads/linings, brake rotor, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, air conditioning lines, hoses or connections, battery testing, fluid changes, appearance care for the interior and exterior (such as cleaning and polishing, dent removal, rectifying upholstery wrinkles, scrapes, scratches, or blemishes, wear and tear items, road rash, and the like), filters and wiper blades/inserts; and – Other maintenance services and parts described in Tesla’s maintenance schedule for the covered Vehicle. Other parts not covered: – Bright metal, sheet metal, bumpers, ornamentation moldings, carpet, upholstery, paint, air spring modules and shock absorbers/dampers, 12V battery, battery cables, key fob batteries, lenses, light bulbs, headlights and sealed beams, glass (e.g., windshield), wheels, interior trim, body seals and gaskets (e.g., weather stripping);"

So headlights, shock absorbers, seat materials, interior trim and other items we see regularly listed as changed under warranty by Tesla are not covered under this policy. It's £607 per year, so the question is, would you have spent that much on repairs anyway? I'm trying to work out what is still covered. I guess computer units and screen?

So headlights, shock absorbers, seat materials, interior trim and other items we see regularly listed as changed under warranty by Tesla are not covered under this policy. It's £607 per year, so the question is, would you have spent that much on repairs anyway? I'm trying to work out what is still covered. I guess computer units and screen?
12v battery also excluded - another popular failing.

Reactions: Burley
Thanks all for the detail. I guess like many things you pay your money and make your choice, which would probably be influenced by the first few years of ownership and how long you plan to keep it. I just looking forward to getting mine at this point.

Allianz- expensive cost to cover almost nothing... thief's undercover.
My 2020 LR with almost 30k, except one rear taillight with condensation, cabin filters two weeks ago, and 4 tires... no issues. Forgot to mention the windshield liquid (I don't remember the amount 🙈🤣).

Maybe, soon, Tesla Insurance will be available in UK/Europe too.

Allianz- expensive cost to cover almost nothing... thief's undercover.
My 2020 LR with almost 30k, except one rear taillight with condensation, cabin filters two weeks ago, and 4 tires... no issues. Forgot to mention the windshield liquid (I don't remember the amount 🙈🤣).

Maybe, soon, Tesla Insurance will be available in UK/Europe too.
Not really true. The Allianz insurance is the Tesla Insurance for Europe.