Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How dangerous to leave house with only phone key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this may have been mentioned already but I just noticed in the updated app that you can add up to five additional drivers under Security.

Doing this creates a link which you can send to anyone. They click it and accept the invite thus:

1645347716834.png

You can manage invites and additional drivers in the app so you can deny access to anyone at any time (provided they're not already in the car!).

Would this work to add various people who you could contact in an emergency (friends, family, colleagues). Could you even add a stranger who was willing to help out by being given temporary access? Could you even write out the invite link on a piece of paper in your wallet and hope that it doesn't expire - although that seems unlikely?

Seems worth exploring though.

Of course if you have e.g. a spouse who can let you in and give you remote access under valet mode that would work too.

Well, without the electronics the fob isn't going to do anything - but then nor is a keycard - as the electronics in both are needed to do the cryptographic authentication. But you're right that the fob will act as a keycard even with a flat battery.

Just to add to this, in the event of an MCU, aka "car computer" failure, the key card is still functional and will lock and unlock the car and, according to Tesla Tech, when our MCU failed, would also have 'started the car' allowing it to be drivable had we not been using pin to drive. But at least we could lock and unlock the car, allowing it to be secured overnight awaiting a second attempt by Tesla to recover. As it happened, we were at home so had key cards available, but would have been a different story if we were out and about sans key card.

I went for a ring backup too. I am wearing it though wasn’t sure I would, thinking I might just put on the key ring.
I’ve had my car 2 years now and never been locked out from the phone for more than a turn off and turn on cycle.

This will be useful, however, when I restart open water swimming. I’ll turn off my phone and leave it with my kit locked in the car and swim wearing the ring.
18D93515-91C2-4DDD-9F7F-74BA1ABCC44E.jpeg

All the years of day to day driving with a regular car key, I’ve never felt the need to carry the spare key as well, in case I lost the key / battery ran out / it just packed up.

I use the same reasoning with my Tesla and only take a spare if away on an extended trip etc.

All the years of day to day driving with a regular car key, I’ve never felt the need to carry the spare key as well, in case I lost the key / battery ran out / it just packed up.

I use the same reasoning with my Tesla and only take a spare if away on an extended trip etc.
But you're not taking your car key with you. You're taking a digital copy of your car key that's stored on your phone. The Tesla car key is the key card.

I have in my pocket a single device which unlocks and starts my car. Sounds like my old car key 🤷🏼‍♂️
Yea, but there are occasions especially when you are charging in SuC the car either fail to start or open the door only with phone keys. This had happened to lots of us once in a while. It is not common and you can manage if you are travelling locally but not easy if you are out of town especially went for a SuC to charge.

Here is my solution and doesn’t suit everyone as I also drive a ICE car. My key ring with my ICE car keys.

Attachments

• 1CB5C7FA-8523-4450-9338-671EC2314F2F.jpeg
    1CB5C7FA-8523-4450-9338-671EC2314F2F.jpeg
    385.3 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: Gatsojon and init6
for those with Apple Watch this a game changer: Home - Watch app for Tesla
See your charge % etc from watch face, unlock etc
But if you do not have the cellular version you are again limited in terms of carrying just your phone with you and then if the phone doesn’t work the watch won’t work, so you have to carry a second authorisation like key card, ring etc.,

Reactions: init6