Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How dangerous to leave house with only phone key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All I can say is don't get caught out in a place with no phone signal. You might be able to get into the car, but once the car wont 'start' without the key card, it can still be pretty frustrating when you have it but tucked away somewhere, or its still inside your house. Not all charge sites have good mobile signal, nor do underground car parks. And there is something about when I wash the car that can occasionally can lock me out too.

I’ve got a key card in my small footprint wallet which I carry as a backup and I’ve also got a ring with a Tesla NFC chip in it as well which I sometimes wear.

I’ve only used it once when I left my phone in my desk at work and was nipping out for lunch and got to the car and realised I had no phone. It’s not really a problem not having a phone as I can still take calls and pay for stuff on my watch.

I’ve never had any issues with the phone (iPhone) unlocking the car but I do tend to keep my wallet on me with the key card in it. I wouldn’t worry on a local journey.

Apple Pay doesn’t really work with the whole mask mandate thing so I’ve had my wallet on me for 2 years when out.

Why do people keep mentioning phone signal? The phone key works off Bluetooth and therefore doesn’t need an internet connection to work?

Reactions: Stuart1714
I've never had the phone key fail for me, but I did buy a smart ring that I wear as a backup so I don't have to carry the keycard with me.

I think this is somewhere where Tesla really have made a mistake; ten years ago a car key you carry in your wallet was a great idea, but nowadays fewer people carry a wallet because of things like Apple/Android Pay and the credit-card sized key is too big and awkward to carry on its own.

For the life of me I don't know why they don't make a keyring with a built in chip that you could use instead. For years I've been given a manufacturer branded keyring to put my car keys on by every single dealer, why don't Tesla offer one that's actually the car key?

I've never had the phone key not work where I needed to then use the keycard afaik in 2.5 years, however I would not trust my phone to not die one day, crash or battery stop working so for that reason I would carry a keycard.
Though, not sure if it was just a joke, but I actually don’t hate @PITA ’s keycard in shoe idea! 🤣
Depends how many shoes you have!

Reactions: AutomaticMan
Always take the keycard,.just so you're not one of these guys:

Unless you log out of the app, then you won’t be one of those guys. There’s no requirement for connectivity to Teslas server to gain entry to the car using the phone app.

Phone 100% for me, but have a Tesla Ring as a back up - which doubles as a replacement for my long lost wedding band so I always have a 'card' on me. Also handy when I want to nip out to the car and phone isn't close. (Only take card on long trips in my slim card wallet, which isn't often at the mo)

Seriously looking for keyless entry to the house now too!

Reactions: AutomaticMan
I've never had the phone key fail for me, but I did buy a smart ring that I wear as a backup so I don't have to carry the keycard with me.

I think this is somewhere where Tesla really have made a mistake; ten years ago a car key you carry in your wallet was a great idea, but nowadays fewer people carry a wallet because of things like Apple/Android Pay and the credit-card sized key is too big and awkward to carry on its own.

For the life of me I don't know why they don't make a keyring with a built in chip that you could use instead. For years I've been given a manufacturer branded keyring to put my car keys on by every single dealer, why don't Tesla offer one that's actually the car key?
I thought about those rings, but I'm not married so wearing a ring randomly seems like a weird thing for me to do. Someone should make an Apple Watch band with a Tesla RFID chip in it... that would be a cool idea!
Depends how many shoes you have!
Smart black, smart brown, trainers - the standard 'man who doesn't care about his image' collection 😁

I too don't carry a wallet with me 99% of the time, so I made my own keyring fob. Which is really easy and inexpensive.

As above.

Here is my thread showing the key fob I made. It's a cheap one but you can use any key ring fob you can get apart and put back together again.

Reactions: SpareHeadOne
I thought about those rings, but I'm not married so wearing a ring randomly seems like a weird thing for me to do. Someone should make an Apple Watch band with a Tesla RFID chip in it... that would be a cool idea!

Yeah, something like that would be good too - Jaguar have a wrist band that works with the F-Pace, E-Pace and I-Pace to lock/unlock the vehicle.

The Tesla system really does lend itself to a lot of flexibility allowing you build keys into something wearable, but Tesla don't seem to be interested in taking advantage of it at all - I don't think they will even sell the chips to third parties.

You don't need to take your wallet with you, just one card. Even if you're just wearing speedos it's hardly an inconvenience. :)
As other have said in these days of mask wearing, I find using my debit card much quicker than using my phone to pay for things. I 3d printed a holder that it super thin to carry my Tesla card and a debit card.

Never had an issue using my phone to get in and drive. Even when bluetooth connectivity occasionally fails, a quick NFC phone 'tap' on the door pillar and centre console has got me in and going again. However, I do more often than not also take my wallet with me to be on the uber-safe side.

Quick question regarding NFC, if a phone battery is dead can it still be uses to access and drive the car?