Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How dangerous to leave house with only phone key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fear it's the latter!
I was basing it on this:
I’d pay for an Etsy home made key fob with key card chip embedded like you get with the rings
(My own fob is just thick enough to hold one of those mini 12v batteries so I have put one inside so if the 12v battery failure should occur I can split open the fob and use it to pop the frunk etc.)
A Swiss army fob! :)

Reactions: Adopado
No I just mean a dumb fob as a smaller option to the keycard - I already have a keychain so would be easy to integrate

Heck even a tiny keycard like the Tesco Clubcard ones that can fit on a keychain would work
I thought about putting my home made fob on my key ring but changed my mind. The problem is the other keys. My wife [looks both ways in case she's listening] totally messed up a previous car simply by routinely opening the door with a bunch of keys in her hand... scratched to blazes ... and the car didn't even need a key to open the flipin' door. Extreme care would be needed to avoid the associated keys contacting the pillar when presenting it.

I figure as it’s only for emergency use that may be fine?

could you leave a key card in the glove box and open it remotely if needed? Worst case if you lose your phone try and ring someone that you’ve given the app access to as a backup (so we still have pay phones?)

could you leave a key card in the glove box and open it remotely if needed? Worst case if you lose your phone try and ring someone that you’ve given the app access to as a backup (so we still have pay phones?)
Yes, so long as you remember to be very careful. My early car has glossy piano black on the console so that would be even more vulnerable than the door pillar.

I think we all need a back up option whatever suits us as we may end up in some unforeseen circumstances especially if you are out of town etc.,

It's good to know that in an emergency you could even flag down a good citizen and ask them to download the app, sign in and let you drive the car home.

(Obviously need to change password once you are home and other risk apply, but beats putting a brick through the passenger window to get in).

Reactions: Mrklaw
It's good to know that in an emergency you could even flag down a good citizen and ask them to download the app, sign in and let you drive the car home.

(Obviously need to change password once you are home and other risk apply, but beats putting a brick through the passenger window to get in).
Yes but yesterday I tried to download Tesla app in one of my old blackberry android phone. It was a nightmare before I managed to download the app. So hope and pray that the good citizen is not carrying a Nokia!

Good luck with the 2FA, where did you store that file ?

There are 3 ways to get in, in order of most robust.

Passive RFID (Key Card or other RFID)
Normal Bluetooth LE (Phone as Key)
Cellular (speaking to mother ship with the App)

My point is that the chances Cellular working is good as backup but I’d want an RFID as backup. Like if you parked in a garage and dropped your phone you are screwed even if a friend had another phone to borrow. Oh and my phone is the only thing that remembers all my passwords with a password manager. Also don’t forget two factor authorization.

Also no need to change password. Don’t save password on their phone and log out.

Bless, O Lord, this ring to be a sign of the vows by which this man and this Tesla have bound themselves to each other. Through Elon Musk our Lord. Amen …

I give you this ring as a sign of our love for and commitment to each other. I promise to support you, care for you, and stand alongside you for all of our days.

Even through difficult Firmware releases, let no menu update get between us.

You may now swish the side
Lol. Now what’s even funnier is that I read your quirp, then swished the side just to have the sensor not pick up the ring until the 5th try - while I stand at the side of the car like an idiot!

No, but I’m all seriousness.. My wife had it made for me. It was a super sweet anniversary gift last year. I use my phone 99% of the time. The ring is only a back up.

Lol. Now what’s even funnier is that I read your quirp, then swished the side just to have the sensor not pick up the ring until the 5th try - while I stand at the side of the car like an idiot!

No, but I’m all seriousness.. My wife had it made for me. It was a super sweet anniversary gift last year. I use my phone 99% of the time. The ring is only a back up.

We should all just get chipped at birth ;)

We should all just get chipped at birth ;)

Wait! We all got the vaccine right?! Technically we are all already chipped right? Damn.. missed opportunity.

JUST PLAYING. Lol. Please.. not a conspiracy guy, nor do I believe that the earth is flat, or that Joe Biden is Jim Carey…. Just a fun joke.

Now that I have my Model 3 a thought occurred to me yesterday... I don't always carry my wallet when I leave my house. I have an Apple Watch and iPhone, and I'm so used to using ApplePay to do contactless payments when I'm out and about that I've got out of the habit of bringing my wallet with me if I'm just out locally running errands etc. I usually bring my wallet only if I'm going on a proper day trip, or going out to a restaurant or something.

I believe the way it is supposed to work with the Tesla is that you mainly use your phone as the key, but that you keep the keycard in your wallet for emergencies. Just wondering how often people are having to use the keycard because of the phone key not working? Is the phone key failing a frequent enough thing that I'm going to be sorry if I don't keep my keycard on me, so will have to get back into the habit of bringing my wallet with me every time I leave the house again?
You'll be OK the majority of the time but when you get caught out it will hurt, personally I always carry a key card.

Reactions: spdpsba