Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How dash cam saves video

Iceman1680

Aug 19, 2021
NJ
I’ve searched the manual but couldn’t find anything. I’m curious how the dash cam records because I’m having inconsistent results. The other day I honked my horn at some douche who cut me off which saved the video clip. When I checked the footage in the viewer it looked just like a Sentry mode clip—a 10 minute video with a red dot on the timeline near the end of the clip signifying the actual event.

Today pretty much same thing happened but when I went to view it it was only like a 30 second video with no red dot and started recording AFTER the actual event happened.

Any ideas??

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC
The way it's supposed to work:

the only feature on the car that actually records video is dashcam.

Sentry doesn't record anything. Honking doesn't record anything. Just dashcam.

Dashcam is always recording as long as:
There's a correctly configured storage device with space available to the car
and
The car is not asleep

Dashcam records up to the most recent 60 minutes, after which it'll overwrite the oldest stuff.

So that's the basis for all other features.

All sentry does, relevant to video, is two things:

1) Keeps the car "awake" when you leave it parked- so dashcam keeps recording.
2) If it goes to alert or alarm state, it moves the most recent 10 minutes of dashcam footage into the "sentry" folder which does NOT get automatically overwritten unless the storage device is nearly out of space.

All honking the horn (or pressing the dashcam button to save) does is:
Move the most recent 10 minutes of dashcam footage to the saved folder. Which is never overwritten.

Generally the red dot is based on a JSON timestamp of the "triggering" event- which is why like 90% of the video happens before it- it's a 10 minute clip but the triggering event is generally always in the last minute or so of it.

I could speculate about why you most recently only got a 30 second clip of something, but ultimately the answer is some dashcam/computer/storage issue made a mistake, but it's never supposed to save anything but 10 minute chunks.

(that said, if this happened within 30 seconds of starting the drive, then I guess it might be working as intended, but doesn't sound like what happened here)

Iceman1680

Aug 19, 2021
NJ
Thanks for the super detailed response. Upon checking again later in the day, that same event still exists as a 30 second video but there is also the expected 10 minute video with the red dot. Maybe it needs some time to create the 10 minute video? Still doesn’t explain the 30 second video but as long as the full 10 minute video is there I’ll take it. Thanks again.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC