Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How dependable is Carvana's offer to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Carvana was awesome, was super easy, take a few pictures, schedule the pickup date. They cut you a check right on the spot. The check was exactly what they quoted me originally (less anything you still owe the bank). I will be selling my future cars through carvana.

When do you guys remove the car from your car insurance when trading in with Carvana/Vroom? Do you remove it as soon as they pick it up or when the money hits your account?
It depends on your state.
In Maryland they do not want you to cancel insurance till MVA gets your tags.
So in my case I sold Ridgeline to Carvana at 10 am in the morning and went to pick up MY at 3pm. Almost too good to be true, but was perfect timing.
So I dropped my previous car from insurance and replaced it with new one since Tesla wouldn't give me car till they see insurance with Tesla in there.
2 weeks I got a fee from MVA for having uninsured vehicle. Went to drop my tags and remove that fee and they were puzzled by Carvana contract since it didn't have any info on who the new owner is. Took a while for them to research but eventually they waived the fee.
So if you are in MD you would need to carry your traded or sold vehicle for another 2-3 days before you cancel insurance.
Same thing happened with my wife's trade in, for some reason you can no longer transfer plates unless they are vanity plates. MD issues you new ones.
So it is very stupid that you traded the car and left with new one but MVA wants you to keep it insured for 2-3 days. I dropped insurance same day and dropped the plates at MVA immediately after we got a new car. No fees this time :)
The market is crazy, we got amazing trade in number from dealer couple grand higher than Carvana and benefited from not paying taxes on trade in value and drove away new car at $750 below MSRP while others were asking $5000 market adjustment. Never thought I would be happy getting vehicle at MSRP 😂

Reactions: PNWLeccy
I sold a car to Carvana recently. It was a great experience. I’m selling one to Vroom now. They are a little disorganized. I think they will honor the quotes as long as you didn’t misrepresent the condition in a big way. They probably factor into the pricing that people are often mildly dishonest.

I've sold two cars to Carvana in the last nine months. By far the best pricing and the process couldn't have gone smoother. They show up on time, check the odometer, have me sign two documents, we trade keys for a check and they put on flatbed truck and take off. Dealing with Carvana has been far more pleasant than dealing with Tesla!

I sold my 2018 Challenger through Vroom. They were super easy to deal with. The only hiccup was the delivery/pickup vehicle... Totally late and uncommunicative. Basically they hire out the cheapest lowest bid transporter. Basically for me I was told delivery was supposed to be around 11am, and ultimately I ended up getting the car on the transporter by 5:30PM, after several calls and waiting around.

I sold my 2018 Challenger through Vroom. They were super easy to deal with. The only hiccup was the delivery/pickup vehicle... Totally late and uncommunicative. Basically they hire out the cheapest lowest bid transporter. Basically for me I was told delivery was supposed to be around 11am, and ultimately I ended up getting the car on the transporter by 5:30PM, after several calls and waiting around.
Same with me. Scheduled pickup on a Saturday. No communication until Monday morning. But other than that, the process with Vroom was very smooth. And Vroom will buy cars that are registered as PNO (planned non-operation), which ours was. Very pleased.

I just requested bids from both Carvana and Vroom to sell our Model 3. Very close bids - Carvana was $300 higher.

^ Excellent!!
Vroom took 20+ days from start of accepting their offer to the day my check arrived (via FEDEX). It can be frustrating at times, but they will pick up your car eventually, after that, the check will come within 3-5 days. My experience with Vroom is almost the exact same as @SkeetShooter above had. But, for the $3K more than anyone else offered for my 2017 Bolt, the wait was worth it.

No fancy Carvana style flatbed with Vroom.... this is the one they used to pickup my Bolt last summer.

Going 1.jpg