TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How did it end up naming P3D in this forum?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Maximilien, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

#1 Maximilien, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2018
    Somewhat random, but....

In S forum, people say S75D, S100D or SP100D and for those who gotta let the world know they have ludicrous mode, they say SP100DL.

Here people say P3D, instead of 3PD or 3P75D, or maybe 3P80D as people found out it uses 80.5 kWh (usable 78.2 kWh?) battery pack.

My guess is that people didn't know the battery pack before and just named it P3D?

Interesting thought formation among Model 3 owners.

EDIT: Looks like I can't edit the title... I meant to say "end up naming" (mod: fixed)

2. CFrolander

CFrolander Member

Well partially because Tesla says "P100D" or "75D" for the model S and X. The model 3 is technically Model 3 Long Range, or Standard Range, but since there's only Long Range at the moment there hasn't been a need to differentiate it. It was just Model 3. When AWD came out, people wanted to apply the same nomenclature for AWD on the S and X which is an appended 'D'. Since all we've got is the Model, '3', it would have became simply '3D' but that sounds kinda weird so most people say 3 AWD I think. For performance, prepending the 'P' does make sense like you'd see on the X or S (but again, no battery sizes were given so P3) and then the D tacked on just to be like its more expensive brethren. I don't know if it will stand the test of time, probably not because once standard range comes out we'll need some to add on some more, but it seems to be the groove people have settled into for now

• Informative x 1
  3. Stirfelt

Stirfelt Member

CFrolander - I like your explanation. It will be interesting to see how the "name" will evolve once the SR battery in made available. I doubt (without knowing) there will be no need for a "D" or "P" on the SR ..... so possibly just .......... M3SR or some variation of that??

4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

M3= BMW;) ...that’s why I started calling P3D:eek:

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  5. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

Haha, yeah, last time I checked the BMW forum, they seemed quite pissed that Tesla people call Model 3, M3, as if we copied their M3's name.

And then they start comparing and making feel themselves good how BMW M3 is vastly superior to Tesla Model 3 (or M3 here), well before the advent of the Performance 3.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

I call it P3. The D is implied given it is a P.

P3 with performance package is P3 - Type R,

R obviously stands for Rice because the Performance Upgrade Sidegrade doesn't do a damned thing for almost everyone.

• Disagree x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

I am still confused why you call it rice. Why Rice?

Coming from S forum, when I first heard P3D in this forum, I was like...What?? 3kWh battery?

Of course, Tesla would be light years ahead of competition if they can create the 3kWh high density battery to 310 miles range. ;)

Maybe that's Elon's big picture for electric Space X.

• Like x 1
  8. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

It should be

3 P75D

If it kept to the S and X conventions.

Rice is my pet name because the “performance upgrade” doesn’t help with acceleration in anyway. It’s mostly aesthetic flash. All show and no go. Some will disagree with me of course.

Being a value person I didn’t feel the ROI.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 3
  9. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

There is some aesthetic flash as in the painted brake calipers, and the spoiler.

But, at least you actually get something real. You get the 20inch tires, and the upgraded brakes. You also get the adjusted suspension.

Some will want to do after market upgrades especially to get staggered wheels.

Others like myself will want some kind of after market body kit. Sure it's purely cosmetic, but some of us don't feel like looking exactly the same as everyone else.

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

It's the 3.
    D goes on the end.
    P goes on the front.
    A number goes in the middle.
    But Tesla doesn't give a capacity
    3P??D just wouldn't look right.
    Blame Tesla for debadging so we don't have an official name for it.

• Informative x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  11. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

Yeah, it reminds me of when Apple called iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3, then they started to call just iPad. So people started to call New iPad to differentiate.

12. JG T3SLA

JG T3SLA Member

On the website it’s called “Model 3 Performance” so I’ve been abbreviating it to “M3P”.

• Like x 2
  13. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

It’s just wrong to use “P3D” as that doesn’t fit the nomenclature for Tesla. We do not say “PSD” or “PXD.”

The characters between Peformance “P” and Dual Motor “D” are the battery size. Therefore it should only be LR (Long Range), since that is the identifiable size provided by Tesla.

In the future if Tesla releases more info it could be Model 3 P75D, but for now...

Simplified or Monroney Sticker
    Model 3 LR or Model 3 Long Range
    Model 3 LRD or Model 3 Long Range AWD
    Model 3 PLRD or Model 3 Performance

Yes, we can also say M3P, M3PLRD or 3PLRD, etc.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  14. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

The nomenclature can’t be compared to S X as Tesla doesn’t release battery size as you state above ...personally I have a hard time saying M3 as a former BMW owner of one it doesn’t seem correct ..my two cents

• Like x 1
  15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Anything short can't be "wrong" because Tesla doesn't have a short form for it. Feel free to call it whatever you want, and prepare to be ignored. The P3D happened naturally.

• Love x 1
  16. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

#16 MXWing, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    If we want to aim for maximim effiency

3P
    3P+
    3LRD
    3LR
    3SRD
    3SR

Should be the way to go.

No confusion or mistake of what implies what.

P3 for “performance 3” is what seems to have taken over even though it doesn’t match any prior
    Conventions.

• Like x 5
  17. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

as long as ppl know what you're referring to, call it whatever you want.

18. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

@MXWing They sound and look better than P3D! Also more concise.

19. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

I can't disagree with this point more. I've driven both.

• Like x 1
  20. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

Is it the 20's that helps or the summer tires?