Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How did someone unplug me (Tesla plug)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I was charging last night at a hotel with a proper Tesla wall connector (not J1772). I confirmed a full charge via the app this morning.

However, I noticed something odd in that the app provided the option to "Open Charge Port". I wondered how I could open the port when I was already plugged in.

When I finally got to the car, it was in fact, unplugged. How does that happen when the plug should lock to the car?

- I am fairly certain I locked the car, plus I have it set to lock automatically when I walk away.
- I tested the plug locking mechanism after and it does secure properly.
- The hotel has another Tesla plug and a J1772. So to compound the mystery, there is no reason for someone to unplug me. (eg If someone else needed a charge).
- I mentioned it to the hotel front desk and they confirmed they'd never touch an owners car.

Any ideas?

You must have had the car unlocked. The automatic lock does not happen if you go back to the car and unlock it. I have forgotten to relock it at times. It's hard to remember to relock it when you get used to it doing so automatically when departing the car.

If that's accurate, I have to be grateful that some stranger messed with my car enough to unplug it, but not enough to open the doors and steal something (or at least haven't noticed yet).

You must have had the car unlocked. The automatic lock does not happen if you go back to the car and unlock it. I have forgotten to relock it at times. It's hard to remember to relock it when you get used to it doing so automatically when departing the car.
I never realized that. I thought the car always locked when I walked away. How does it know when not to do that?

It only locks when you depart the car after it has been on. No automatic locking when you subsequently unlock the car and then walk away.
Not quite accurate. If you go up to the car and it presents handles (unlocked, of course) automatically (NOT using the double press on the top button of the fob), it will lock upon your leaving the vicinity. Whether or not you enter the car. Whether or not you open and then close the door without getting in.

So it will indeed lock in other scenarios besides departing it after the car being "on."

Not quite accurate. If you go up to the car and it presents handles (unlocked, of course) automatically (NOT using the double press on the top button of the fob), it will lock upon your leaving the vicinity. Whether or not you enter the car. Whether or not you open and then close the door without getting in.

So it will indeed lock in other scenarios besides departing it after the car being "on."

I just performed a test and you are correct. The car now locks after being opened, even remotely. This was not the case with some previous software revisions.

So I think we can agree, the scenario where it won't relock is if you unlock it with the fob, don't really start/use it at all, and can open doors, etc... It will not relock then. Do this all the time at house here, and it doesn't relock (but it does fold mirrors).

Realize when it is locked, you won't see the green charing indicator pulsing ;-). That helps too.

I was charging last night at a hotel with a proper Tesla wall connector (not J1772). I confirmed a full charge via the app this morning.
Maybe this is a new behavior (which I condone) when your car is charged. Sure some people like to charge until 90% then start it up for the remaining charge in the morning but you're preventing someone else from charging if it is locked when you essentially have a full charge.

I don't know...Im kinda lost where you left it in all night expecting that someone else wouldn't need a charge behind you ;)

I am in Casper Wyoming. If Plugshare is any indicator, an electric car comes through here every 3 weeks. I also mentioned there were two other unused chargers.

And finally... it takes like 6-hours to charge the car. What am I supposed to do other than leave it while I sleep?

I don't know...Im kinda lost where you left it in all night expecting that someone else wouldn't need a charge behind you ;)
That's what you do at destination charging stations at hotels, unless perhaps you have a 72A or 80A charger and the HPWC has output to match. It's not like a supercharger at a hotel. I've never seen another Tesla at any hotel I've stayed in, but maybe it's different in California.

Reactions: Canuck and GSP
If my charge was going to complete at 3am, I'd try and wake up as early as possible 5 or 6am) to give someone else the opportunity to charge. I've been on the other end too many times where I've arrived at a destination charging location only to find that the car charging has been there for the past 12 hours.

I did leave a note on my dash with my phone number if the car needs to be moved (or a charge).

Maybe I should start another posting speculating "WHY" would someone unplug my car? (again, keeping in mind two empty chargers were available... in a town that sees one electric car every 3 weeks).

Well when autopilot and automatic chargers (the snakey things) come online. The car will unplug itself and move so someone else can plug in (or the car that has been waiting in line can now drive itself into position. I know none of us believe this is coming in a year or two, but where is autopilot most practical? in an enclosed garage with no humans around. (I personally think level 5 autopilot 10 or more years away but this charging line, totally could happen soon)