Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How did someone unplug me (Tesla plug)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The automatic lock when you walk away is dangerous. Did it lock or not? I always lock manually and have the mirrors fold in when locked. That way a quick look over my shoulder when I walk away confirms I locked it. I can also check later on the phone app. Not good practice for me to have it auto lock since it may not always do that.

I always lock manually and have the mirrors fold in when locked. That way a quick look over my shoulder when I walk away confirms I locked it. I can also check later on the phone app.
I am with @Blu Zap . I had too many occasions where the car was unlocked when I thought it was locked. I now also keep it in manual locking mode with mirrors on auto-fold. I like the visual confirmation, even from a distance, that the car is locked. I haven't had an inadvertent "unlock" since making the switch 10 months ago.
I also had a case of the car being parked in a motel spot just outside my room. Close enough, it turns out, that it sensed the FOB as I moved around the room. I detected this when I saw my charge port flashing through the window (I was connected to a destination charger). I now take an Altoids can "Faraday cage" with me when traveling, especially at campgrounds.

Maybe this is a new behavior (which I condone) when your car is charged. Sure some people like to charge until 90% then start it up for the remaining charge in the morning but you're preventing someone else from charging if it is locked when you essentially have a full charge.

You suggestion would allow stealing a UMC, though, unless it somehow made an exception for that.

Also not a nice thing in non-auto-closing charge port cars and climates where stuff falls from the sky...

I don't disagree with the freeing the charger sentiment, but unplugging can be problematic.

These need to be figured out somehow...

You suggestion would allow stealing a UMC, though, unless it somehow made an exception for that.

Also not a nice thing in non-auto-closing charge port cars and climates where stuff falls from the sky...

I don't disagree with the freeing the charger sentiment, but unplugging can be problematic.

These need to be figured out somehow...
It was never stated it was an UMC. I assume it was a HPWC since he stated it wasn't the J1772 so no adapters are needed. I don't know if Teslas can detect UMC, HPWC or the various adapters so point taken. I have used my J1772 adapter exactly once and only to test it a couple of minutes but then again I am in California and we have plenty of Superchargers.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
The automatic lock when you walk away is dangerous. Did it lock or not? I always lock manually and have the mirrors fold in when locked. That way a quick look over my shoulder when I walk away confirms I locked it. I can also check later on the phone app. Not good practice for me to have it auto lock since it may not always do that.
I remember on July 4th after I parked the car to see fireworks, I turned my head back and saw the mirrors didn't fold in. That's a clear indication it didn't lock and so I checked the app and it shows unlocked. I went back to the car and noticed 1 of the FWDs was not completely closed (just a tiny little bit) due to some stuff on the floor preventing it to close completely.

So if you want to make sure the car is locked the best indication is the folding mirrors.

Since new, the charge port on our X unlocks a connected HPWC, UMC, or Supercharger if the car is charged to the charge limit, and you hold the button down for a second or two. Its the same on other cars I've interacted with. I'm fine with it, and it's been useful for me to unplug another at a public station, and others have unplugged mine at a public station. Seems fair to me, but I'm sure assholes will take advantage of it somehow.

I never realized that. I thought the car always locked when I walked away. How does it know when not to do that?

It only locks when you depart the car after it has been on. No automatic locking when you subsequently unlock the car and then walk away.

My S always lockas after I have opened it whether it has run or not.

I REALLY wish Tesla would add a config option to let you set the horn to chirp whenever it locks itself. Would save all of the above confusion. My last car (Cadillac) had walk-away locking and with the horn chirp option turned on, I would be comforted by the fact that I KNEW it was locked when I heard the chirp as I was walking away with my back to the car (where flashing lights do no good unless you walk away backwards!). If I didn't hear the chirp, I would know to turn around and check to see if I'd left a door ajar or something.

Since new, the charge port on our X unlocks a connected HPWC, UMC, or Supercharger if the car is charged to the charge limit, and you hold the button down for a second or two. Its the same on other cars I've interacted with. I'm fine with it, and it's been useful for me to unplug another at a public station, and others have unplugged mine at a public station. Seems fair to me, but I'm sure assholes will take advantage of it somehow.
Without the car being unlocked?

Even with a mobile charger? That doesn't seem right. Then someone would be able to steal your mobile charger. I can see this being the case for the wall charger/destination charger since it could be shared. I'm not really sure what the use of it would be for a supercharger though. The supercharger cords are so short there's no way someone else could charge off of it without moving the car.

Tesla should set the default to unlock Chargé port once the car hits 100%

There seems to be some debate if this is already happening. I would find this rather problematic, though.

Locking the cable inside is important in making sure the expensive cable is not stolen, when using the UMC or a Level 2/Type 2 charger with your own cable (in the U.S. requiring a third-party adapter lock to get the benefit, in Europe no adapter lock is needed). In some cases the charger may of course lock the cable in as well (not always reliably), but it would be rather inconvenient to return to your car to leave and find your personal charging cable locked in the next Tesla in line for the next 50%...

There is also the question of the emptied charge port being exposed to the elements and vandalism (i.e. somebody stuffing something in there, be it a person or mother nature). The newer auto-closing charge ports would mitigate this issue somewhat, but not all have them.

Yeah, so a lot to be solved in the practicalities as well as the etiquette of public chargers over time...

Just went down to the garage to check, holding down the button on the HWPC charge cord with the car locked (and the fob out of range), the charge port turns blue and will not release the charger.

Also, the automatic locking feature has resulted in people locking themselves out of their car. This is usually due to the car ceasing to detect a key that has been left near a source of interference like a cellphone or loose change.