Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How did someone unplug me (Tesla plug)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If my charge was going to complete at 3am, I'd try and wake up as early as possible 5 or 6am) to give someone else the opportunity to charge. I've been on the other end too many times where I've arrived at a destination charging location only to find that the car charging has been there for the past 12 hours.
You sir are a saint. We could have used you in Custer, SD. Three Teslas and two stations. We pre-agreed on a schedule that had the two 90Ds charging overnight, but they would leave early, one even said 5am. We, in the lowly 70D, needed the charge more, but I did some quick calculations and figured I'd only need two hours to get to Gillette, which I could get after 7am and during BF, and a quick 1 mi walk to a decent coffee shop. Imagine my surprise, the next day when BOTH 90Ds were still there at 7am. So much for best plans. We drove to coffee first, then returned to the hotel later for BF and a charge. Arrived in Gillette with 10-20 mi, but not difficult since the Leaf is my daily driver. I'm pretty much used to that. ;)

I'm thinking you missed the point: is locked and remains locked when no fob is present (i.e. when an outsider tries to unplug you when you are not present).

I assume you have had a fob with you in those examples?
Nope, no fob present. If my car is locked and charged, I can take the charger out, but I cannot get inside.

FWIW, for some considerable time now (I want to say a couple years) it's been absolutely possible to plug in a locked car. I always check the car last thing at night when I take the dogs out and usually plug in both cars if they're not already connected, I don't remember the last time I needed the key.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I'm confused. How were you at the SC or the mall without your fob? Did I miss something?
I use it at home to get the cord out of my way when I don't have the fob. I unplugged one of the demo cars at the Indy mall to charge mine (we live a few hours away and the supercharger was inop). At the atl supercharger talking to others while waiting, an older S was fully charged, but the person didn't have the fob because it was with someone else at the restroom or whatever. An X arrived that needed to charge, so we unplugged it the same way I just hold down the button until the light turns white from blue (10-15 seconds?), then click the charger button again and pull it out. Sounds like it doesn't work for others, or firmware has changed it. I'll have to do some more testing.

Going to experiment with other cars tomorrow. I set my charge limit lower than current battery state so it was "complete", locked the car, and left the fob inside the house where I know it won't reach. Here's a video of removing the HPWC cable. Anything I'm doing different?
Very interesting. On my Aug 2016 MX, with the car locked, the solid green light you show in the video would not even be illuminated, let alone being able to release the charging handle. I wonder what the difference is? I like having my charger handle locked, and charge port dark, when the car is locked.

Going to experiment with other cars tomorrow. I set my charge limit lower than current battery state so it was "complete", locked the car, and left the fob inside the house where I know it won't reach. Here's a video of removing the HPWC cable. Anything I'm doing different?

It could just be the video, but it looks like the charger light only turned blue, not white. I can only remove the charger when the light is white.

I REALLY wish Tesla would add a config option to let you set the horn to chirp whenever it locks itself. Would save all of the above confusion. My last car (Cadillac) had walk-away locking and with the horn chirp option turned on, I would be comforted by the fact that I KNEW it was locked when I heard the chirp as I was walking away with my back to the car (where flashing lights do no good unless you walk away backwards!). If I didn't hear the chirp, I would know to turn around and check to see if I'd left a door ajar or something.

Oy, I hope they don't do this. I think that the "chirping" of car horns as cars are locked is extremely annoying, sometimes startling (when one is close), and downright rude late at night. very glad my Tesla does not add to the noise...

Very interesting. On my Aug 2016 MX, with the car locked, the solid green light you show in the video would not even be illuminated, let alone being able to release the charging handle. I wonder what the difference is? I like having my charger handle locked, and charge port dark, when the car is locked.
My light stays on for a long time after the car is locked. 1/2 hour maybe? It also lights up when it wakes up to download/upload (correlated with network logs anyway).