Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How did this happen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Tesla Model 3 for just over a year now (LR Dual Motor). I live in Twickenham and the car is parked overnight directly in front of my house. There has never been any security issues until this week when I discovered that all the change I keep in the storage box in the central armrest was missing apart from one bright new pound coin. All told, about £40 was gone. There was no sign of forced entry and nothing taken from the boot or frunk. I cannot be certain when the money was taken but certainly within the last 48 hours.

Sentry mode was not enabled but pin to drive was. I'm certain it wasn't anybody in my family who took the money so I am left with two options:

a) The car was unlocked and it was an opportunistic theft

b) Someone managed to unlock the car (to steal), but couldn't because of pin to drive and took the cash instead

The problem with a) is that I have passive entry enabled which means that my iPhone acts as the key and locks the car automatically as I move away. I thought I may have kept the phone too close to the car whilst in the house so that it was effectively open but after having done some experimenting this is unlikely. You have to have the phone very close to the car to unlock it.

So is b) a possibility? It was odd that one coin was left behind, maybe as a little joke. Are there attacks possible which could bypass the phone? Anybody have any similar experiences or ideas of what might have gone on?

Some of them pavements are quite narrow in Twickenham...

I would see if you can recreate the conditions of a) and try and open the door with phones in the house.

Also the suggestion of TeslaFi is a good one. It can notify you if doors/windows have been left unlocked for a period of time. But it won't catch the situation if the phone is one the limits and its oscillating being in/out of range.

It's possible you failed to close a door properly so it didn't lock or someone used the delay between you leaving and the car locking. If you have kids 9yrs+ then they can be very devious and can't be ruled out. Or you had a blonde moment and forgot you spent it..
Or it's Karma £40 in the car suggests you have too much. I keep a small amount of parking change and a basket token in mine 'cos I'm cheap.

• Disagree
Reactions: pharwood and LEE3
Thanks for the replies. At least no one is suggesting that passive entry can be compromised, which is what most concerned me. So it is in all probability a). And yes, parking here is expensive. Four hours down by the river cost me £7.50 today.

Paid for by phone!

I had an instance where my car didn’t lock when I left it, later discovered that the boot wasn’t properly latched.
It would be very useful if the app notified you when you’re out of Bluetooth range and it’s unlocked.

Reactions: Tiny Tim
I think this is very probably what happened. If the car can't be maliciously unlocked then it most probably remained unlocked when outside of bluetooth range. The alternative explanation, that the phone was too close to the car from inside the house and therefore unlocked it has not been proved after a lot of testing yesterday.

Being notified of the car being unlocked when outside bluetooth range would be incredibly helpful - bit of a no-brainer really.

Thanks for the replies. At least no one is suggesting that passive entry can be compromised, which is what most concerned me. So it is in all probability a). And yes, parking here is expensive. Four hours down by the river cost me £7.50 today.

Paid for by phone!
A couple of thoughts from me..... there have been a number of cars broken into in Twickenham by a person/people just looking for money - I also live in Twickenham and have a video of somebody taking coins from my other car a few months ago (it wasn’t me who left it unlocked).

Are you aware that if you get a “Richmond Card” you can park for free with a zero emission car throughout Richmond-upon-Thames? It’s about 3 hours max - less if it’s a short stay parking bay e.g around Richmond green.

There have been times when my car hasn’t locked when I’ve walked away (key fob). Sometimes no reason, others because of a door not closed properly. To confuse matters, yesterday I noticed the door was unlocked but the mirrors were closed.

I check on the app at night now that it’s locked.

So most likely opportunistic with an unlocked door. Mega shame no sentry mode.