Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How did you convince your significant other to order a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My sister-in-law bought a M3, which my brother loved so much he confiscated it. Then, to save the marriage (kidding), they ordered the MY for him just as soon as it was announced. They are now a two Tesla family. He couldn't stop talking about what great cars they are, and I couldn't stop listening.

In late August we visited with them in Florida. I encouraged (actually, insisted) my wife drive the M3. She liked it, after overcoming the disorientation of one-pedal driving and the big screen. My sister-in-law also worked her over like a pro.

After we got home the wife grew tired of my ceaseless chattering about what a great car it is, and said something like "just go ahead and buy the &$%#@* thing." I think that's what she said; I stopped listening after "buy". A few days later I test drove the MY and quickly pulled the trigger on the MYLR.

Reactions: Bklynguy
Convinced wife we need it because we have not seen the whiplash effect on oil and gas yet. No investment was made in US oil production during covid. $4 gas is the beginning. We have two gas guzzlers, Gladiator and LR4.
Took delivery today. I give it one week until she wants it. It's everything she wants. Quiet and simple.

I drive about 15,000 miles a year. Average well over $2,000 in just gas. Add in service, brakes, etc it's an additional $300-400 a year. Also, now that gas is well over $4.50 to almost $5.00 in my area...so happy I received my Y.

Actually, dealing with Volvo here in France has been a nightmare ! And my wife is the one fluent in French so she has done all the heavy lifting. When I told her about this magical car that didn’t need servicing......well it was easy

Our kid hauler went up in value about 20k during covid but just pretty much sits in the driveway because I work from home now. I was like uh lets use that equity and buy a car to save us money in gas. It was pretty easy.

My Wife will be the daily driver of the car, ill just putt around in our VW around town if I need to go anywhere.

Just recently took delivery of MY on 10/16, and I have never been this excited for a car since my 1st car. Initially my wife was against spending so much on a car, but eventually relented because she saw how much I wanted it on top of us desperately needing a new car. The other selling point I gave her was not having to pay gas which is ridiculously high in California.
My wife is not a car person at all and could care less, when I suggested getting another Tesla her reaction was like heck to the NO, 1 Tesla is all we need.

In my mind my plan was to rotate cars and let her drive the MY while I drove the ICE vehicle and see if it will change her mind. I have heard from so many who don’t care for cars or just use cars to get from one point to another, how much they fell in love with the MY after driving it.

So low and behold a mere 2 days after fully driving the car, my wife calls me and says “what do you think about ordering another MY” I kept my poker face on and went along with it to let her think it was her idea. Pretty soon we will be putting in an order to lock in the price before it jumps again, and will wait 1 year or so for delivery.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or what was your experience in convincing your significant other to jump onboard the Tesla train?
1) She test drove it
2) Reduced CO2 (will be very low CO2 for us because of solar)
3) I pointed out that whatever his faults, Elon was visionary for making an EV that people actually wanted to buy.

I had a 2022 Audi SQ8 on order, just north of $110k. Fire breathing twin turbo V8 that would get 13mpg on a good day. 0-60 in 4.5 sec. A coworker got a new MY and after an extended test drive I was sold. I told my wife how a MYP would save about $40k over the Audi, she said “when are you going to order it?” Win-Win!

Have had a Model 3 since 2020. For 2 years I have tried to even get my wife to drive it. She was to concerned with the "technology" and "dinging" the car. Her car finally had to go to the shop for 3 days so she was driving my Model 3 during that time. She picked up her car from the shop and began asking me if she can take my car places. We have a Model Y on order since November.

I did the math and the savings on fuel would offset the cost of the small loan we took to cover half the cost of the car. My employer pays a portion of my miles driven which offsets it further.

I was previously driving a full size Sprinter van everywhere and she hated that thing so any effort to get rid of that was favorable.