Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How did you convince your significant other to order a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bklynguy

MYLR, White, 19", Black interior, 5 seat, OD 4/30
Mar 31, 2021
Fontana, CA
Just recently took delivery of MY on 10/16, and I have never been this excited for a car since my 1st car. Initially my wife was against spending so much on a car, but eventually relented because she saw how much I wanted it on top of us desperately needing a new car. The other selling point I gave her was not having to pay gas which is ridiculously high in California.
My wife is not a car person at all and could care less, when I suggested getting another Tesla her reaction was like heck to the NO, 1 Tesla is all we need.

In my mind my plan was to rotate cars and let her drive the MY while I drove the ICE vehicle and see if it will change her mind. I have heard from so many who don’t care for cars or just use cars to get from one point to another, how much they fell in love with the MY after driving it.

So low and behold a mere 2 days after fully driving the car, my wife calls me and says “what do you think about ordering another MY” I kept my poker face on and went along with it to let her think it was her idea. Pretty soon we will be putting in an order to lock in the price before it jumps again, and will wait 1 year or so for delivery.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or what was your experience in convincing your significant other to jump onboard the Tesla train?

To answer the question in the thread title....

"You dont" (try to "convince" your significant other that some car product YOU want for them is the right one for them). This goes for tesla, or any other. If you are in a situation where you can afford to choose (and if you are considering buying a new EV that means you are in this position), you dont pick for them or try to convince them.

Especially since you "got the car you wanted" they should "get the car they want" within reason, unless there is some gross negligent reason they cant. Anything in the price range of your proposed tesla should be ok (and fair) for them to get without you trying to convince them otherwise.

Note that I am not anti tesla in the slightest... I have a model 3 performance, tesla solar, and tesla powerwalls. I AM sort of "anti brow beating" though, and for some reason, many people who start driving a tesla all of a sudden think that because that was the right choice for them, its the right choice for everyone, and it isnt.

The car will or wont "sell itself" if you can convince her to try driving yours a few times. Either way, it should be their decision, as long as its not a money / cash flow issue (and like I said, that means anything with the same equivalent price range as a new vehicle should be ok).

"You dont" (try to "convince" your significant other that some car product YOU want for them is the right one for them). This goes for tesla, or any other. If you are in a situation where you can afford to choose (and if you are considering buying a new EV that means you are in this position), you dont pick for them or try to convince them.

Especially since you "got the car you wanted" they should "get the car they want" within reason, unless there is some gross negligent reason they cant. Anything in the price range of your proposed tesla should be ok (and fair) for them to get without you trying to convince them otherwise.

Note that I am not anti tesla in the slightest... I have a model 3 performance, tesla solar, and tesla powerwalls. I AM sort of "anti brow beating" though, and for some reason, many people who start driving a tesla all of a sudden think that because that was the right choice for them, its the right choice for everyone, and it isnt.

The car will or wont "sell itself" if you can convince her to try driving yours a few times. Either way, it should be their decision, as long as its not a money / cash flow issue (and like I said, that means anything with the same equivalent price range as a new vehicle should be ok).
perfect. i wouldn't convince my wife to get a tesla. I'd convince her to get an ioniq instead. Y for long trips, ioniq for everyday commuter. Way cheaper and i wouldn't have to worry about scratches, dents, or abuse

Wow, didn’t think this question would be taken that serious. To clarify your point there is absolutely no brow beating over here or forcing someone to get anything. My wife is her own person and can choose whatever car she wants or keep the ICE vehicle we currently have. Also, as stated in my original post I never suggested that she should get a Tesla or even brought it up as a I am happy with the MY we have, she brought this up completely unexpected on her own. I know there are people who experienced similar events with a significant other who didn’t care for cars but then fell in love with whatever car the other had. So, This was meant to be a lighthearted discussion, not a reprimand on “brow beating” people to buy the car you own, especially since there is no brow beating over here.

Wow, didn’t think this question would be taken that serious. To clarify your point there is absolutely no brow beating over here or forcing someone to get anything. My wife is her own person and can choose whatever car she wants or keep the ICE vehicle we currently have. Also, as stated in my original post I never suggested that she should get a Tesla or even brought it up as a I am happy with the MY we have, she brought this up completely unexpected on her own. I know there are people who experienced similar events with a significant other who didn’t care for cars but then fell in love with whatever car the other had. So, This was meant to be a lighthearted discussion, not a reprimand on “brow beating” people to buy the car you own, especially since there is no brow beating over here.

Somehow my brain missed the third paragraph in your opening post. Its there, but I didnt see it for some reason. I only saw "wife said "heck no" and "how do you convince them" at the end.

I will admit that my response is pretty heavy handed considering the third paragraph. In my (weak, because I obviously missed part of the post) defense, this comes up fairly often here in fact, with people talking about "convincing others" so it was somewhat of a sore spot for me. With that being said, my response here was pretty heavy handed given the entire circumstance.

I am not going to edit it because a regular user might not be able to edit their response at this point (and I dont like to take liberties that regular users cant with my own content), but I will apologize for the heavy handedness of my response above.

Reactions: GeoG
Somehow my brain missed the third paragraph in your opening post. Its there, but I didnt see it for some reason. I only saw "wife said "heck no" and "how do you convince them" at the end.

I will admit that my response is pretty heavy handed considering the third paragraph. In my (weak, because I obviously missed part of the post) defense, this comes up fairly often here in fact, with people talking about "convincing others" so it was somewhat of a sore spot for me. With that being said, my response here was pretty heavy handed given the entire circumstance.

I am not going to edit it because a regular user might not be able to edit their response at this point (and I dont like to take liberties that regular users cant with my own content), but I will apologize for the heavy handedness of my response above.
I appreciate the apology, I was a little surprised at the initial heavy reaction to the post as I didn’t think i wrote anything that strong. My point of posting it was that I was quite surprised at how quick she changed her mind after driving the car, and especially since I never said anything to her other than a few months ago when I 1st suggested it which was quickly shot down.
I am still in the honeymoon phase with Tesla and just enjoying the drive so I couldn’t care less if she wanted to stay with our ICE or get a Tesla.

I agree with @Rnlmatsudai with potentially getting a cheaper EV as a commuter car. But I really like not having to deal with dealers through Tesla and the fact that Tesla is ahead of the competition in terms of technology. If Lucid or Rivian were cheaper I would take a serious look at them since they are like Tesla in that their platform is 100% EV focused.

SO isn't a huge Tesla fan but her response to my selection of the Y was "get whatever makes YOU happy". After taking her for a test drive in one last weekend, am not sure she is any more of a fan than before, but did concede it was a nice vehicle.

There are certainly nicer cars in this same pricing category but after dipping a toe in the waters with a PHEV, I am ready to go all in. The Y hit the combination of being equal to or better in all the relevant categories (how it drives, how I fit in it, range, features, and price) than the competition so for me its a no brainer.

In general I like having new things. I've wanted a Tesla for a long time but I haven't pushed it with my wife.

What caused her to say "I'm ready to order a Tesla." (unprompted - with no badgering from me) was reading the Elon Musk book by Ashlee Vance. My wife is so impressed with Musk's vision and "genius-ness" she was too excited not to order one.

We placed an order for a MYLR on Monday. Account currently says estimated delivery Mar 04 - Apr 01.

I haven't and would be surprised if I did. My wife and I have very different tastes in cars: My last two cars were a MINI Countryman and BMW X1. Her last two were Lexus RX's. She likes the way her car coasts, I'm looking forward to one-pedal driving.

As with any parental disagreement, it's the kids who suffer. ;) Our kid is learning to drive and I don't envy him switching between our vehicles.

I convinced my wife to test drive a Model Y back in March. We needed a new car anyway, maybe even two, and were considering ICE vehicles as well, but it was at least a good excuse for me to test drive a Model Y, without any serious intention of buying one, mostly because of the high price tag.

We arrived at 2PM for the test drive appointment.
We ended up test driving a MY and a M3.
At 3PM, we were ordering and signing papers for two M3!!!

6 weeks later, May 7, we got our first M3 delivered, and enjoyed it very much. The EDD for the 2nd M3 was constantly pushed back, and this actually gave us enough time to eventually change our minds about owning two M3s: we figured out two M3 would not work for us; 3 kids and a dog on a vacation trip and our daily needs having changed a lot, we decided to cancel the second M3 and were considering a compact ICE VUS instead. My heart was literally broken since the second M3 was supposed to be "mine" (on paper), but I was already over excited we owned a Tesla so I got over it.

Few weeks later, we could not decide on an ICE VUS. The idea of getting rid of ICE cars for good had deeply seeded, helped with owning an electric car for several weeks... So we went through our options, did our maths, and decided to jump and buy a MY.

We ordered our MY on May 27. On June 1st, my Tesla rep called me to tell me that the delivery date would be... June 2nd, thanks to a cancellation! We were lucky enough to wait less than a week for a delivery, which would be completely unthinkable today. We would most probably have ordered an ICE car if we had faced back then the delivery delays that became the norm today.

As of today, we still love our Teslas and would never go back to an ICE car. I'm a bit scared of owning two electric cars in Montreal harsh winters, but that's material for another post :)

Convince? No convincing needed. I still have boot prints on my back and head as she ran over top of me me to get into the house and get to the computer to order the car. (After the test drive) She at least consulted me on the color. I wanted red. We now have a nice blue model 3.

Just sayin.
Yeah, my wifey likes blue, too. We have a blue S and a blue 3. Just sayin'.

Reactions: Webeevdrivers