Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How did you get notified of your PTO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
We passed final inspection 3 weeks ago or so. Tesla immediately sent PTO request to PG&E, which included a letter that had a link to check on the inspection. But that link has never worked. Did anyone's link work to track PTO processing? Or did you just get a letter in the mail? Email. Or ???

While I got the interconnection request email before the start of my project, PG&E never emailed me that the PTO process had started. I wound up calling the PG&E Solar number about 3 weeks in as after hearing so many issues here of Tesla not submitting things I got suspicious, but PG&E confirmed they received everything the day I'd submitted my final payment (they were very friendly/helpful). They told me at the time that I was 'very close to PTO', and I got an email a few days later (same NEMFOLLOWUPS address aesculus mentioned) saying that my PTO was approved.

My experience was it took Tesla a couple weeks after my final to send the interconnect request to SCE. I immediately received an email from SCE that they had received the request. 24 hours later I got another email from SCE providing PTO.

You may want to confirm the status with PG&E. SCE was very responsive when I reached out to them.

Thanks for the info. Looks a little hodge-podge.
Got an email from [email protected]

How did you get notified Tesla sent the PTO documentation in? Were you cc'd on that?

BTW once Tesla finally submitted the correct paperwork my PTO cleared in 10 days. Existing solar that just added PWs.

We got notified by an email within 30 minutes of paying. The email came from [email protected] and read:

=========================================================
Dear xxxx

Please do not reply to this email address, as it is not being monitored.

Thank you for submitting an Interconnection Request Standard NEM (with Modifications or Energy Storage) Standard NEM with Energy Storage via egi-pge.com on 2020-08-03 09:39:37. Your project reference number is 111222333. Please use this reference number on all correspondence with PG&E regarding your proposed project.

SAFETY AND STANDARDS: Generating facilities must meet all applicable safety and performance standards including, but not limited to PG&E Electric & Gas Service Requirements, and local codes and regulations.

SMART INVERTERS: In order to comply with Rule 21, Smart Inverters must have activated the Frequency Watt and Volt Watt modes (Smart Inverter Function 5 and 6, respectively). Applications submitted on or after February 22, 2019 will be required to comply with this Smart Inverter Phase III Function 5 & 6 functionality, pursuant to California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) Resolution E-4898, and as further clarified by the July 11, 2018 and January 2, 2019, letters from the CPUC. IMPORTANT: By signing the interconnection agreement, the PG&E Customer of Record is attesting that Smart Inverter Functions 5 and 6 will be activated upon receipt of written permission to operate (PTO) from PG&E. For questions regarding how to activate these functions, please consult the inverter manufacturer.

For questions or more information on the application process or your Interconnection Request, please contact us at [email protected]. We look forward to working with you on your interconnection project.

Sincerely,

Electric Generation Interconnection
Pacific Gas and Electric Company

To view your application, please go to the following link:
https://egi-pge.com/ic-app-detail-aceit/111222333/Detail
=============================================

The link to check status DOES NOT WORK!!

The email had an attachment containing the Tesla application to PGE. That attachment started with

Program: Standard NEM (with Modifications or Energy Storage)
Sub-Program: Standard NEM with Energy Storage
Self Installed: No

Then went on for 5 pages detailing the install.

You may want to try to call your utility to see if they can check on the status of your interconnect request. I’ve discovered that my utility has a phone line dedicated to renewable energy installations and so far the people there seem quite helpful and were able to explain the process to me. Unfortunately they have also told me that my request is totally ready to go, except for the fact that tesla hasn’t submitted the payment yet. They said that as soon as they get that payment it will be no more than 30 days to get my PTO, but they can’t start the process until the payment is received.

We passed final inspection 3 weeks ago or so. Tesla immediately sent PTO request to PG&E, which included a letter that had a link to check on the inspection. But that link has never worked. Did anyone's link work to track PTO processing? Or did you just get a letter in the mail? Email. Or ???
I find this pretty amusing since our utility on the other side of the country has the same problem with emailing a link that doesn't direct me to anything. Maybe they use the same broken software to manage their interconnections.

I would try emailing the address they provided if you are past their timelines for the next step. Totally different utility, but in our case, it seems like something just got stuck in our process and having somebody check on it got things un-stuck quickly.

I find this pretty amusing since our utility on the other side of the country has the same problem with emailing a link that doesn't direct me to anything. Maybe they use the same broken software to manage their interconnections.

I would try emailing the address they provided if you are past their timelines for the next step. Totally different utility, but in our case, it seems like something just got stuck in our process and having somebody check on it got things un-stuck quickly.
I have emailed a few times. No replies.

I called once a over a week ago and they said they were almost ready to go.

for me with SCE, I got notified via email from SCE (Existing solar, added powerwalls).

Are you emailing the [email protected] and including your project reference number? When I submitted one myself before for another project they generally responded to me in a few days at most.
Thanks for the address. The email they gave me was '[email protected]'. I am going to call today to get status. I will also see which email we should use.

We got notified by an email within 30 minutes of paying. The email came from [email protected] and read:

Ah, if that's the email they sent you at PTO start, I guess that's why I didn't get one, PG&E sent me that email end of October 2018, even though my install didn't start until February 2019 and the final inspection / PTO process didn't begin until late March 2019. I assumed everybody got this email during the permitting process, and that there would be a different email sent at the start of PTO.

Ah, if that's the email they sent you at PTO start, I guess that's why I didn't get one, PG&E sent me that email end of October 2018, even though my install didn't start until February 2019 and the final inspection / PTO process didn't begin until late March 2019. I assumed everybody got this email during the permitting process, and that there would be a different email sent at the start of PTO.
We got nothing from PG&E until this email after the system passed Final Inspection and we made the last payment.

4 months from finish to inspection???????
Yep. Part of this will due to the City inspection department being shut down due to Covid-19. But a large chunk was due to changes that occurred during the install. Specifically changes in the breaker sizes. Tesla never updated the information on the permit, so the paperwork needed to go through the cycle again. And everything had slowed down dramatically at the city permit off until the last month or so. This also held up the PTO for 2 weeks.

The bottom line is if they make any changes onsite during install, make sure all of the paperwork is updated with the change. And if necessary resubmitted immediately.

The bottom line is if they make any changes onsite during install, make sure all of the paperwork is updated with the change. And if necessary resubmitted immediately.

I may have quoted you saying this before, but it is worth emphasizing. Totally different parts of the country, but very similar timelines, including 4 months from completion of the solar roof install until PTO. If there are changes during install, do not assume Tesla will be on the ball about updating it and notifying all stakeholders (in our case both county and utility.) Lots of extra reviews and delays related to paperwork issues.

Reactions: jboy210
I may have quoted you saying this before, but it is worth emphasizing. Totally different parts of the country, but very similar timelines, including 4 months from completion of the solar roof install until PTO. If there are changes during install, do not assume Tesla will be on the ball about updating it and notifying all stakeholders (in our case both county and utility.) Lots of extra reviews and delays related to paperwork issues.

Definitely. And be your own advocate. Talk to the inspection authority and Tesla to get the full story. Your system is just one of many. You need to monitor progress and make sure any bottlenecks are dealt with in a timely manner. On this point, I have found my Tesla Scheduling coordinator was wonderful in breaking through barriers on the Tesla side. But, I had to get to know people on a first-name basis in the City's inspection and permit departments to push certain aspects through.

Reactions: preilly44