Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How did you get your SolarEdge Physical Layout

How did you get the Physical Layout?

• Physical layout is missing

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Physical layout is missing and Tesla refuses to provide it.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Already done when SolarEdge portal access was granted

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Customer had to provide optimizer layout to Tesla

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Customer was granted SolarEdge Designer permission

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called SE Customer Service and pressed all the prompts as if I was an installer on-site. When I got through to a human, they did not ask for any verification, they just granted me the access I needed .

all I can say is try again. YMMV
I have tried this multi times. But since my panels are under my installer, you cannot have 2, and if I were to change, I assume this could impact my warranty with my installer so I have not pressed it.

Resuscitating this thread. I got zero layout information from the installer and want to identify the panels myself. I've been on the roof before, but I'd like to avoid going up there again since my clay roof tiles are prone to breaking under my weight.

I have a small drone (DJI Mini 2) that in theory has enough lifting capacity to carry a sheet of foam board large enough to mostly cover an entire panel. Problem is when I've tested this the air coming down from the propellers tends tends to smack right into the foam and cause the drone to become unstable. Has anyone done something like this before? I'm thinking the lower the foam sheet hangs the less aero interaction and instability. But there's also a greater chance of getting nylon wire wrapped around the propellers - and down went my $400 drone.

Resuscitating this thread. I got zero layout information from the installer and want to identify the panels myself. I've been on the roof before, but I'd like to avoid going up there again since my clay roof tiles are prone to breaking under my weight.

I have a small drone (DJI Mini 2) that in theory has enough lifting capacity to carry a sheet of foam board large enough to mostly cover an entire panel. Problem is when I've tested this the air coming down from the propellers tends tends to smack right into the foam and cause the drone to become unstable. Has anyone done something like this before? I'm thinking the lower the foam sheet hangs the less aero interaction and instability. But there's also a greater chance of getting nylon wire wrapped around the propellers - and down went my $400 drone.

I initially tried to cover the panels but it took hours for the production information to reliably show in the SE app for the covered panel. I eventually gave up and climbed to the roof with a cable camera to look at the barcodes for each optimizer under the panels.

I initially tried to cover the panels but it took hours for the production information to reliably show in the SE app for the covered panel. I eventually gave up and climbed to the roof with a cable camera to look at the barcodes for each optimizer under the panels.
Yeah, I read something about using an endoscope. I was trying to use the drone so I wouldn't have to spend hours up there myself. Since the data is reported in 15min increments, I'd have to cover each panel for 30min. For 24 tiles that's 11.5 hours (don't have to do the last one). Ain't nobody got time for that! I'm not looking forward to climbing on my fragile clay tile roof, but it seems the endoscope might be the only way.

Do you happen to have a picture of where exactly I should be looking, and what it looks like when I find it?

Yeah, I read something about using an endoscope. I was trying to use the drone so I wouldn't have to spend hours up there myself. Since the data is reported in 15min increments, I'd have to cover each panel for 30min. For 24 tiles that's 11.5 hours (don't have to do the last one). Ain't nobody got time for that! I'm not looking forward to climbing on my fragile clay tile roof, but it seems the endoscope might be the only way.

Do you happen to have a picture of where exactly I should be looking, and what it looks like when I find it?

Not handily. But one of the edges, typically to the left, will have them visible enough that you can use a stick mirror to look under and you'll see the optimizers and tags. With that, you'll know what you're looking for with the camera.

You could just take your time with covering them but you need to cover one panel for at least a few hours and then look at the production later that night a good hour after the sun has gone down. It takes hours for the production data to settle down. It's not anything close to real time.

Am wondering if there is a practical need for this? I know if has been fun to look at things, but.
Power gets produced, used and sent back on the grid without the need of any of this, right?
My installer did all of the Physical Layout work for me.
They also remapped after one of the optimizers failed.
I can see the effect of shading on my set of panels which are in three locations and two 90° orientations.
I also noticed what I thought was a failing panel, until I looked at that panel and saw a pile of redwood leaves in one corner. It was surprising how much impact that had.
I only have 16 panels, but it seems to me that I could make my own map by covering one panel at a time with a towel. It would take 15 minutes per panel to see it online, but I think you could see the immediate dropout on the SolarEdge inverter panel, if you had an associate.