Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How did you guys pay? Wire money or cashier's check?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering the advantages or disadvantages of either?

I figured I'd do cashier's check because I don't like the idea of wiring money to tesla for a car that I haven't seen or driven

By the way, if I use a Cashier's check, who do I make it out to? My dumb assigned person never responds to me.

Tesla will make it right, you don't need accept delivery from what I generally heard.

To Tesla, until they have you sign off on your vehicle before you leave, they can't count your money as a sale. Regardless of how you hand your cash to Tesla, it does not matter as long as they have it before you can sign off on it.

People freak the F out about handing Tesla a check and believe they are SCREWED if their cars come with a scratch that can be buffed out.

Who are they gonna depend on 7 years from now if something happens with the battery pack or drive motors?

I handed the check, signed all the paperwork. Inspected my car, found some minor paint issues. Dropped it off 2 weeks later to get corrected.

People can do whatever makes them comfortable but just providing some balance against the crazies crawling on their hands and knees with tactical flashlights, bringing their paint doctor A game when they did no such thing for their prior vehicles.

Bring check , if you are satisfied with your car, then hand it over, if not then its up to you depending on what needs to be fixed.

I, like a few have wired money and been caught up in deliver delays, reassigned VINs and no eta.

Also range of delivery experiences here, some smooth, others minor and correctable, others need repaint. Its really a paint lottery so why not be prepared, up till recently, the customer was the model 3 QA.

... when they did no such thing for their prior vehicles.

That is true. Partly because ppl here read about the problems and partly because they never bought a car this expensive.

But I was more attentive because other manufactures got their sh!t down. There’s not this kind of crap. If there wer these problems, their Quality control is much better and is fixed at the vehicle distribution center (VDC) before it reaches dealer showrooms.

At Tesla the customer taking deliver are the QA and the pick up location is treated like the VDC.

Reactions: SoCalGuy
Actually, I wouldn't say the dealerships are perfect either.

When I got my Spark EV, it was missing a Radio Antenna, and various small things that if I didnt catch, I wouldve found out at home because the dealership certainly didn't pay that much attention either.

I received this email last night to prepare for pick up today.

• There are several options to make your due at signing payment: A cashier’s check (please make check payable to “Tesla Inc.”,) an ACH transfer (Electronic Transfer) through your Tesla account prior to delivery or a personal check at your pick up appointment.

I received this email last night to prepare for pick up today.

• There are several options to make your due at signing payment: A cashier’s check (please make check payable to “Tesla Inc.”,) an ACH transfer (Electronic Transfer) through your Tesla account prior to delivery or a personal check at your pick up appointment.

Personal check!!!??? For $60k? Bounce bounce bounce lol

I don't see a downside in using a check (aside from spending 10 minutes to go to the bank). On the other hand, if there is a last minute delivery rescheduling, or the car has major flaws, it's obviously preferable to keep the money until you actually take delivery. Also, in my experience handing over the money can greatly reduce the motivation of service staff to resolve issues ...

The instructions I got for my home delivery say:

- Cashier's checks will also be accepted and should be made out to “Tesla Inc.”
- Personal checks can not be accepted in excess of $10,000.

I don't see a downside in using a check (aside from spending 10 minutes to go to the bank). On the other hand, if there is a last minute delivery rescheduling, or the car has major flaws, it's obviously preferable to keep the money until you actually take delivery. Also, in my experience handing over the money can greatly reduce the motivation of service staff to resolve issues ...

The instructions I got for my home delivery say:

- Cashier's checks will also be accepted and should be made out to “Tesla Inc.”
- Personal checks can not be accepted in excess of $10,000.

Yep. I’d prefer not to give them anymore money until I see the car. We give up the chance to drive our cars before delivery already. The least they could do is present a relatively defect free product to us at the time of delivery

People freak the F out about handing Tesla a check and believe they are SCREWED if their cars come with a scratch that can be buffed out.

Who are they gonna depend on 7 years from now if something happens with the battery pack or drive motors?

I handed the check, signed all the paperwork. Inspected my car, found some minor paint issues. Dropped it off 2 weeks later to get corrected.

People can do whatever makes them comfortable but just providing some balance against the crazies crawling on their hands and knees with tactical flashlights, bringing their paint doctor A game when they did no such thing for their prior vehicles.

People F out because no one wants to pay for a car before they even see or drive it. Nothing wrong with seeing something before you pay it.

Plus, why wire money 3 days before you see the car. What if they cancel delivery because of an issue and you need to wait another month while they have your money sitting around

Reactions: MXWing
People F out because no one wants to pay for a car before they even see or drive it. Nothing wrong with seeing something before you pay it.

Plus, why wire money 3 days before you see the car. What if they cancel delivery because of an issue and you need to wait another month while they have your money sitting around

Point taken. I’m too used to reading threads where people were being excessively petty
and actIng like their 1000 refundable deposit meant anything to a company that burns 9000 dollars per minute.

Lots of people in the middle like yourself. :)