Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Did You Hear About the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to get an EV1, but the were only leasing them. Thought something stinky was up with that. Then they took them all back. Started looking into Aptera (Aptera Motors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Was one of the first 200 to sign up. Then delays started and pricing increased. Saw that Tesla was going to build a sedan and decided that I would rather seat 5 adults. No regrets. Was hooked from the moment I saw the technology behind their car. Love every minute of driving it. Go out of my way most of the time to drive longer! :biggrin:

Went to see a movie 42 weeks ago and parked next to this beauty, never heard if Tesla before this sighting. Instantly fell in love. Still love my Volvo though.

y9a8ypam.jpg

Kind of a long story, as the Model S entered my consciousness rather slowly and gradually...

I don't remember exactly when it was, but I've been vaguely aware of the Roadster for a while. I never paid much attention to it, though, not sure why but probably due to the price tag and the fact that any 2-seater is completely impractical for my family right now. I first heard of Model S late last year, probably on Edmunds.com when I started looking for a new car, but I didn't pay attention because (I assumed) it was way out of my price range and not realistic for my needs. I had also assumed that the 17" center console was a gimmick and that the UI would be awkward and counter-intuitive like so many ICE infotainment systems are. In fact, I was hoping to buy a car without nav for that reason.

I distinctly remember reading about the NY Times controversy shortly after it happened (Feb?), and I was amused and impressed by Tesla's successful rebuttal. By that point Model S seemed cool but still out of reach. Then I remember walking into the store in Tysons Corner VA in April, sitting in a car and playing with the touchscreen a bit, and still thinking "way out of reach." By then I knew Tesla wasn't allowed to sell cars in Virginia, and I was mildly annoyed at that fact even though I still didn't expect I'd ever buy one.

Finally, in mid-May, I was in Los Angeles and received some really good financial news. The next day I saw a grey P85 in a small parking lot (maybe 20-25 cars that weren't rentals) west of Malibu and thought "wow, they must be really gaining steam if there's one in such a small group of cars, maybe I should check them out more seriously." And an hour later I saw a blue Model S drive out of the same parking lot, and I was really intrigued. I promised myself I'd at least test drive one. (I was quite unaware of the statistic that 25% of people who test drive one end up buying one.)

In parallel, I spent much of 2013 gradually researching and test-driving ICE cars, mostly sport sedans, in preparation for buying something new to replace a 2004 Mazda station wagon. They ranged from Kia Optima to Lexus IS350; I think the IS was my favorite until I drove a P85 in DC. I really wanted a fun-to-drive sedan with good acceleration and decent gas mileage. I looked at a few EVs but dismissed them all for various reasons which I can't even remember now. And ideally I wanted manual transmission. Before Model S, I was just about prepared to accept that I couldn't have all of the above.

Once I drove the Model S, I couldn't stop thinking about it. The torque "curve" completely removed my desire for manual transmission, and the touchscreen was far more intuitive than I had expected. When I re-tested the IS350 afterward (because the 2014 came out), I couldn't help but notice how clunky and loud it seemed in comparison, and oddly, I had lots of trouble finding the RWD model in Virginia. I still think the IS is a great ICE car, but wow, my perspective was irrevocably changed!

It took my wife and me another month and another Model S test drive to come to terms with buying a car for the price of about 3 Kia Optimas. But here we are. :)

Had a CLS AMG guzzling 14 mpg and was in the process of searching for a Plug-in Prius. Colleague at work told me about the Model S (he's not even a car guy...just read an article about it). I was aware of the Roadster but never looked into Tesla. That was this past October. Put a deposit in November. Got delivery in February. Have the Tesla smile ever since.

I had been following Tesla for a while, then made the mistake of doing a Roadster test drive...
I've had this conversation completion sequence several times regarding Model S:
  • Have you taken a test drive?
  • No....
  • Two key points: (1) If you like driving, you have to test drive this car. (2) If you test drive this car, you will buy one.

I suspect it's just as true for Roadster, especially in the pre-Model S era.