Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How did you Justify 95k car purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a KTM 530 now, scary similiar , are you my long lost brother or something :biggrin:.

I think mileage loss on the S if far more acceptable then the leaf/focus/fit's out there. Agree the superchargers and for that matter more public stations will exist down the road. I think gas stations in fact will start to install them in more places over time. The more the EV's come about the more they will have to do to retain customers in their establishments.

I just replaced my rear tires after 15k miles, and heard from the SC guy that the P burns through a set of rear tires in about 5-6k miles, because the 21" wears faster naturally (and presumably from... different driving habits). Not to mention those tires are more expensive too. So I'm not so sure the loaner P85 is a "no brainer".

Not so for me. I just changed out the 21" wheels and Continental tires for the winter. 7,000 miles on them and about 7,000 miles left with rotation when they're put back on in the spring. And I'm a very aggressive driver.

I have a KTM 530 now, scary similiar , are you my long lost brother or something :biggrin:.

I think mileage loss on the S if far more acceptable then the leaf/focus/fit's out there. Agree the superchargers and for that matter more public stations will exist down the road. I think gas stations in fact will start to install them in more places over time. The more the EV's come about the more they will have to do to retain customers in their establishments.

what's that saying, "below average minds think alike" or something like that. Anyways, yes love the KTM for it's light weight and 50-60 mpg yet still being able to out perform just about any motorcycle up to about 80 mph and embarrass superbikes in the corners. I had sport bikes in the past, still fun but I've out grown the scene and never liked it at the time.

I'm aware of the 21's abuse of tires, that is something I will be keeping an eye on if I end up with those. If I want to swap to 19's I think the 21's are easy to sell and should cover the cost of some 19's.

Had a talk with my wife this evening and we are in depending on stock movement this week. It's in Elon's hands now.

Sub,

Saw your post explaining what you want from us.

Ok, so here's how I justified an $85K purchase (S85 - before you could buy loaners).

I've been thinking for years about getting a car that could drive in the HOV lane. That would give me 30-60+ minutes a day more with my family. This is literally priceless time.

But I also can't stand driving cars that don't have power and handling. I come from driving 5 liter Mustang GT's, BMW 3-series (with sports package). So the plug-in Prius, Leafs, etc. don't cut it. Whereas the S85 accelerates faster and corners flatter than my old 330i sport.

I needed more range than a Leaf anyway. A real-world ~70 mile range doesn't work if I'm going to drive to work, take off in the afternoon for an event in SF/Berkeley/etc., then drive home in the evening. Whereas a real-world 200 mile range is sufficient for just about every day trip our family takes. The one exception being Napa Valley where you wind up driving there, then driving most of the day, then driving home. Napa's borderline without charging. But over time, I was confident this wouldn't be an issue and with the Fremont superchargers and more L2 chargers in Napa, it's not.

My kids were getting older and the teenager was starting to complain about the back of the 3-series getting cramped. The new 3-series was probably borderline. Our "day-trip" car probably needed to be a 5-series equivalent family sedan or bigger. Again, none of the EV's or plug-in hybrids fit the bill. But the Model S is a superbly comfortable family sedan.

And the S carries an enormous amount of cargo.

From a purchase cost perspective: the Model S was about $30K more than the comparable 3-series. I could justify the additional cost based on HOV privileges and cost savings from going solar and not buying premium CA-priced (expensive) gas.

But if I recall correctly, the Model S was at most $10K more than the equivalent 5-series. Actually, when I priced a 5-series GT (hatchback), the S wound up about the same.

Given the above, for me the S was a no-brainer from a financial standpoint.

The only real worries were the quality of the car, safety and whether the car would have any fundamental defects that would cripple the company. I was comfortable taking the risk because the powertrain was the highest risk area and the S has a 2.0 powertrain. 1.0 was the Roadster. I judged that rest of the car had about the same risk as any new model car since Tesla hired some pretty sharp auto veterans to oversee the design. I think that's been proven out. The quality has been fine - just the typical teething pains you'd expect from a new car model and the odds of a nasty fundamental issue drop every quarter.

From a safety perspective, I know that what counts is caring about it and getting enough supercomputer modeling time. Given Tesla's relationship with Daimler, I figured they could get access there if they couldn't buy it on the open market. And I figured Elon had a personal stake in making the car safe because he was going to be driving his family in it. I think the safety test results and accident reports we've seen speak for themselves on that one.

Knock on wood but the family and I have been thrilled with the car. We took three day trips and put >1000 miles on the car in the first couple of weeks. The S is the primary family car and day-trip car. It's a blast to drive and I get to commute in the HOV lanes. And our 9.4KWH solar install was sized to include the Model S draw.

All is well ... :)

I'll admit to feeling a little guilty sometimes… It's a lot to pay for a car, and it doesn't help that virtually everyone seems to know what these cost.

Yes, that is something I think about also. That being said, if it were a Mercedes or BMW (both of which are in the same price realm as the tesla) I am not sure if would feel the same way since they are so ubiquitous by comparison.

My logic was very similar to rcc's, above. I drove the Tesla and was smitten, but the cost seemed like an insurmountable hurdle--it was roughly 35K more than I'd ever spent on a car, and even that particular car (an E90 M3) I ended up getting rid of because I didn't drive it enough to justify the cost.

But I kept thinking about it.

Our current family car is a 535 wagon, which has plenty of space for our daily needs but cannot accommodate 3 kid seats. When we need to carpool with another kid for whatever reason, we are SOL. So, I started making a list of all of the cars that would give us that ability.

What I came up with was: 1) a faceless army of soul-destroying 3 row vehicles based on domestic or Japanese FWD sedans, like the Honda Odyssey/Pilot/MDX, the Ford Flex/Explorer, and Toyota Sienna/RAV4, or 2) Brobdingnagian European 3-rowers whose girth was matched only by their thirst and price, like the X5, Q7, LR4, etc, or 3) full-size domestic sedans like the Taurus SHO or Dodge Charger that might fit three seats across the back.

None of these vehicles, with the potential exception of the SHO and maybe the SRT-8, had even the slightest sporting pretensions. All of them cost a minimum of 40K (optioned as I'd want), on up to 70+ for some of the European SUVs. None of them inspired even the slightest interest in me.

So, armed with the conclusion that there really isn't anything else out there that both does what I need to do AND would put anything other than a grimace on my face every time I saw it in the street, I revisited the Tesla.

I don't drive as much as some on the board, but even compared to our current car my gas savings are going to be 150+ per month. Compare it to the M3 I used to have, and the gas savings jump past 200 (that car drank fuel like it had been designed by Saudi royalty). If you do the math on cost of ownership with the RVG, the high retail price is offset somewhat by the tax credit--the car "leases" for a lot less than you might think given the kind of crappy residual and the high retail cost. At the end of the day, the total per monthly cost for the 95K S should be about the same as what I spent every month on my 60K M3.

That was the moment it really "clicked" for me--I think I submitted my down payment the next day.

OP, I saw a reference somewhere in the thread that you're looking for a car for your wife to drive 300-500 miles over 1-2 days a few times a month. Will this essentially be the same drive (one that you're comfortable with based on current charging infrastructure), or different ones? Are you comfortable that every trip can be planned so that non-SC charge locations will only be needed for night stops? Personally, I would not want to have to do the "flight planning" as frequently as she would with the current SC infrastructure. As I'm sure you know, there's a reason why everyone is clamoring for updates on SC builds, permit approvals, construction pictures, etc., and that is the critical importance of them for those long drives.

Hopefully the conversation is not moot because of the hit TSLA is taking right now after-hours, but in any event, before buying and if you haven't done so already, I would take a hard look at the driving your wife will be doing and how that will work with the current SC infrastructure. I would also not go any further than those sites that have already been fully confirmed for completion in the short-term when making any assumptions.

Good luck with your decision!

OP, I saw a reference somewhere in the thread that you're looking for a car for your wife to drive 300-500 miles over 1-2 days a few times a month. Will this essentially be the same drive (one that you're comfortable with based on current charging infrastructure), or different ones? Are you comfortable that every trip can be planned so that non-SC charge locations will only be needed for night stops? Personally, I would not want to have to do the "flight planning" as frequently as she would with the current SC infrastructure. As I'm sure you know, there's a reason why everyone is clamoring for updates on SC builds, permit approvals, construction pictures, etc., and that is the critical importance of them for those long drives.

Hopefully the conversation is not moot because of the hit TSLA is taking right now after-hours, but in any event, before buying and if you haven't done so already, I would take a hard look at the driving your wife will be doing and how that will work with the current SC infrastructure. I would also not go any further than those sites that have already been fully confirmed for completion in the short-term when making any assumptions.

Good luck with your decision!

Already had all her routes figured out, there are either superchargers on the way or she would be staying where she could charge over night. There would still possibly be the occasional trip where it wouldn't work until SC build out. It is all Moot however, with TSLA plunging I'm not selling any shares. Told the wife we will continue to drive our old cars and rent, doesn't look like that will work either. I may be forced into buying a car I don't want short term, ugh.

Already had all her routes figured out, there are either superchargers on the way or she would be staying where she could charge over night. There would still possibly be the occasional trip where it wouldn't work until SC build out. It is all Moot however, with TSLA plunging I'm not selling any shares. Told the wife we will continue to drive our old cars and rent, doesn't look like that will work either. I may be forced into buying a car I don't want short term, ugh.

Bummer on the stock.

EM did note the demand is there, but the supply of cells is not. He said get an order in now as the wait is going to grow. I think the more of the cars out there the more they get noticed and wanted by others just adds to it. Tesla owners are the best salesman Tesla has.

My logic was very similar to rcc's, above. I drove the Tesla and was smitten, but the cost seemed like an insurmountable hurdle--it was roughly 35K more than I'd ever spent on a car, and even that particular car (an E90 M3) I ended up getting rid of because I didn't drive it enough to justify the cost.

But I kept thinking about it.

Our current family car is a 535 wagon, which has plenty of space for our daily needs but cannot accommodate 3 kid seats. When we need to carpool with another kid for whatever reason, we are SOL. So, I started making a list of all of the cars that would give us that ability.

What I came up with was: 1) a faceless army of soul-destroying 3 row vehicles based on domestic or Japanese FWD sedans, like the Honda Odyssey/Pilot/MDX, the Ford Flex/Explorer, and Toyota Sienna/RAV4, or 2) Brobdingnagian European 3-rowers whose girth was matched only by their thirst and price, like the X5, Q7, LR4, etc, or 3) full-size domestic sedans like the Taurus SHO or Dodge Charger that might fit three seats across the back.

None of these vehicles, with the potential exception of the SHO and maybe the SRT-8, had even the slightest sporting pretensions. All of them cost a minimum of 40K (optioned as I'd want), on up to 70+ for some of the European SUVs. None of them inspired even the slightest interest in me.

So, armed with the conclusion that there really isn't anything else out there that both does what I need to do AND would put anything other than a grimace on my face every time I saw it in the street, I revisited the Tesla.

I don't drive as much as some on the board, but even compared to our current car my gas savings are going to be 150+ per month. Compare it to the M3 I used to have, and the gas savings jump past 200 (that car drank fuel like it had been designed by Saudi royalty). If you do the math on cost of ownership with the RVG, the high retail price is offset somewhat by the tax credit--the car "leases" for a lot less than you might think given the kind of crappy residual and the high retail cost. At the end of the day, the total per monthly cost for the 95K S should be about the same as what I spent every month on my 60K M3.

That was the moment it really "clicked" for me--I think I submitted my down payment the next day.

This is GOLD for me. Bravo.