Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How did you tint rear window?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I finally decided to tint my Tesla 3. It is dark grey with white interior.
I am thinking to do side windows 35%. However, Not sure what to do with rear as it has already gradual tint. Trying to get some input from other owners who have gone through that process.

I had entire rear window tinted. The place I went with offered half or full. They stated if doing half it will look fine from the outside, but when looking through the rear view mirror you would see where the tint stopped. I opted to do the entire window as I did not want to see where tinting stopped. Glad I did.

Thanks all for the feedback. @webwarmiller: why did you do 20% on rear windows?
In TX you can only go as low as 25% on the fronts while the rears are completely exempt from regulation. As tint generally comes in 50%, 35%, 20%, and 5%; 35% is the lowest you can go on the front. Going with 20% on the rears allows you to go a bit darker but isn't much visually different from the fronts when viewed from outside. It's pretty much the tinting std combination down here.

I love how the white cabin is light and bright and I did not want to overly darken the cabin with tint. But I still wanted the heat and UV rejecting benefits of tint. So I went with a 55% Xpel Prime XR Plus ceramic tint on all the windows except for the windshield. I would definitely recommend doing the entire rear window in one piece.

So illegal in AZ on the front windows and windshield :).

In california, it is not legal to tint the front driver and passenger windows at all (none), yet you will find like 50% of "nice" cars with some form of window tint on those windows. By "nice" cars I mean, pretty much 50% of all BMW / Audi / Mercedes / Ford F150 (non work) trucks / Lexus / Acura, and ANY car that has a "sporty" trim you will find like 50% of those with front window tint.

I have had some form of window tint (somewhere between 50% and 20% depending on car color and interior) on every car I have had for the past 20 years here in CA and have received (2) window tint tickets over that 20 year span.

So, yeah, not legal, but dont so much that police wont usually stop you for just window tint, unless they are annoyed.

I would imagine AZ (with similar hot weather) might be similar.

Back on thread topic....

I have 3M crystalline tint all around. 70% on windshield (not noticeable in the slightest from outside or in the vehicle, but helps with heat rejection), and 20% all all other windows, including the glass roof, and rear window glass in 1 piece.

I just had tint put on my car yesterday, I went 15% all around, including one large piece for the entire back window. I think it looks amazing!!
IMG_2419.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2420.jpg
    IMG_2420.jpg
    578.2 KB · Views: 2,196
I just had tint put on my car yesterday, I went 15% all around, including one large piece for the entire back window. I think it looks amazing!!View attachment 650215
Thanks for the pics. I have white/white 21 model 3 and a tint appt on the 15th of this month so seeing these pics and options helps a ton. I'm thinking 15 back window and on back window with 25 on front as I believe legal in WA State is 24.
I don't care about heat here in the NW and with the white seats. Just for looks and privacy.

Reactions: enderokc
In california, it is not legal to tint the front driver and passenger windows at all (none), yet you will find like 50% of "nice" cars with some form of window tint on those windows. By "nice" cars I mean, pretty much 50% of all BMW / Audi / Mercedes / Ford F150 (non work) trucks / Lexus / Acura, and ANY car that has a "sporty" trim you will find like 50% of those with front window tint.

I have had some form of window tint (somewhere between 50% and 20% depending on car color and interior) on every car I have had for the past 20 years here in CA and have received (2) window tint tickets over that 20 year span.

So, yeah, not legal, but dont so much that police wont usually stop you for just window tint, unless they are annoyed.

I would imagine AZ (with similar hot weather) might be similar.

Back on thread topic....

I have 3M crystalline tint all around. 70% on windshield (not noticeable in the slightest from outside or in the vehicle, but helps with heat rejection), and 20% all all other windows, including the glass roof, and rear window glass in 1 piece.
Are you sure about this? According to California Tint Laws - 2020 & 2021 - Car Tinting Laws and it's reference Codes Display Text
it says:
Front Side windows: Aftermarket film must allow more than 88% of light in, or minimum 70% VLT if combined with factory-tinted windows.