Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How did your V8.0 update go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Musk tweeted today that v8.0 will start its rollout for Model X and the rest of the world this week.
Excellent.
He also tweeted that his ex-wife Tallulah plays a really good evil sexbot. Good to see we don't live in such seperate worlds after all....
Dont forget history shows elons words "world" is really USA, so the rest of USA gets underway this week. Us mars dwellers should be soon then.

iPhone app just had an update so that means that V8 software for the car must be imminent right??!!!

Ok, I'll calm down and go back to refreshing the app!

No the app is available from the app store, and with apple being a proper global company it is made available to all users at the same time.
Given the world....sorry given the US alread has 8, then its unlikely the phone update has any relevance.
But the good news is that we are all a day closer to getting 8.x

Seems like things have stalled again, and I've not seen any reports of stuff outside the US still despite Elon's claim that this was starting almost a week ago. I really don't understand why they don't just stop announcing things, setting expectations and then failing to meet them. It's classic expectation management 101 to avoid creating unnecessary disappointments. If they just announced stuff as it was actually happening with no lead-in hype people would be happy and grateful for the surprise. Of course we're all used to this by now and happy and grateful when it arrives anyway, but early adopters are not the mainstream market and it's inexplicably bad form in general for a company to behave that way.

An anonymous source told me this morning, completely off the record, that 8.0 is on at least one test car here which an engineer is driving and he needs to file a report with Tesla before they'll open the floodgates. The source's guess is it will be 2-3 weeks before wide release here.

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
Seems like things have stalled again, and I've not seen any reports of stuff outside the US still despite Elon's claim that this was starting almost a week ago. I really don't understand why they don't just stop announcing things, setting expectations and then failing to meet them. It's classic expectation management 101 to avoid creating unnecessary disappointments. If they just announced stuff as it was actually happening with no lead-in hype people would be happy and grateful for the surprise. Of course we're all used to this by now and happy and grateful when it arrives anyway, but early adopters are not the mainstream market and it's inexplicably bad form in general for a company to behave that way.

I think beta testing new Tesla firmware is not like testing firmware of a new computer OS. Obviously a large group of beta testers is required to find & resolve most if not all issues. It’s easy with a computer to open up to public beta testing but with a moving vehicle, testing a new operating system needs to be limited due to obvious safety factors. Testing candidates would need to be selected with care.

Obviously 8.0 has been through as rigorous beta testing as is possible with the limited numbers available in the initial group. There comes a time when it then needs to be released to wider numbers, in the case, the US market, requiring announcement to the public worldwide. Tesla have obviously decided to stage the release in this way to follow that principle of using their largest market for what amounts to final stage beta testing.

I wouldn’t call this bad form, just necessary procedure to the final stage of release where large numbers are obviously needed to test through all permutations & conditions. That’s not to say they couldn’t expand their beta testing before general release, they probably should, but it helps to realise that there are costs, in delayed release, increased complexity & financial costs, in the expansion of the test phase. Given the high profile tragic accident in Florida & subsequent breakdown in the MobileEye partnership, Tesla decided that further delay was not an option & took the quickest possible path to release. These are details, while in the public arena, you would not expect the PR department to announce in order to manage expectations.

Yep fully realise the difficulties and unknowns that contribute to the delays and have no problem with that. What I don't understand is why they don't wait until all of that is done and *then* announce that they're rolling out. For instance if @Homer's post above is correct then there was no way in hell 'world wide' rollout was happening at the start of this week, let alone back when Elon first announced it. They should just annouce what is actually, definitely happening and STF up about anything beyond that until they're sure! :) Elon could have tweeted "US rollout starts Wednesday, other markets to be announced in the future" 3 weeks ago and that would have been perfectly fine.

An anonymous source told me this morning, completely off the record, that 8.0 is on at least one test car here which an engineer is driving and he needs to file a report with Tesla before they'll open the floodgates. The source's guess is it will be 2-3 weeks before wide release here.

Why does this have to be unofficial rumour? Would be much better if this statement came officially from Tesla, people would be more understanding of the delay then.

For instance if @Homer's post above is correct then there was no way in hell 'world wide' rollout was happening at the start of this week, let alone back when Elon first announced it.

I am guessing there was a mistake in this tweet, what was meant was probably "rollout to beta testers only". Either the message was not communicated clearly inside Tesla or the tweet was poorly composed. Or maybe they changed their minds after the tweet was sent.

In any case, a correction to the tweet would be a good idea.

..or, possibly, the tweet went to the Beta testers currently on Mars...Do NOT repeat this, or I will have you ALL killed!

Master Plan (Part 3)

1. Make a LOT of money from mass produced electric cars.

2. Simultaneously build rockets.

3. Convert world to renewable energy and battery storage.

4. Above fails, leave Earth...So long and thanks for all the fish...

I think beta testing new Tesla firmware is not like testing firmware of a new computer OS. Obviously a large group of beta testers is required to find & resolve most if not all issues. It’s easy with a computer to open up to public beta testing but with a moving vehicle, testing a new operating system needs to be limited due to obvious safety factors. Testing candidates would need to be selected with care.

Obviously 8.0 has been through as rigorous beta testing as is possible with the limited numbers available in the initial group. There comes a time when it then needs to be released to wider numbers, in the case, the US market, requiring announcement to the public worldwide. Tesla have obviously decided to stage the release in this way to follow that principle of using their largest market for what amounts to final stage beta testing.

I wouldn’t call this bad form, just necessary procedure to the final stage of release where large numbers are obviously needed to test through all permutations & conditions. That’s not to say they couldn’t expand their beta testing before general release, they probably should, but it helps to realise that there are costs, in delayed release, increased complexity & financial costs, in the expansion of the test phase. Given the high profile tragic accident in Florida & subsequent breakdown in the MobileEye partnership, Tesla decided that further delay was not an option & took the quickest possible path to release. These are details, while in the public arena, you would not expect the PR department to announce in order to manage expectations.
You are absolutely right, but what is bad form is a CEO saying publicly the product is now going worldwide release, when in fact the company only intends US release at that time. The delay doesnt bother me these days having seen this repeated pattern, however I deeply fear for the future of the company when competition builds if they cannot get their PR and announcements sorted.