Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How did your V8.0 update go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The faucet opened back up last night and so far today 43 cars reported getting 8.0 (2.40.21). I'm estimating that every car in the tracker represents 150 cars in the real world, or 6,450 in this instance. For all the 7.1 releases 1,023 cars reported some firmware revision in the tracker so that is my estimate of how many cars are reporting (probably some new ones for 8.0 but some old ones dropping off). 632 cars have reported an 8.0 version or 62%.

Two cars were added with 8.0 while I was writing this post :)

Agreed @championi. I went for a longish drive yesterday and autopilot seemed decidedly better under 8.0. I was stopped at a set of lights in the middle lane when the car in front of me decided to change lanes. Previously autopilot would have accelerated too quickly until it "saw" the car in front of the car that just changed lanes and then it would brake rather heavily. But under 8.0 it already "saw" the car in front of the car in front so it just crept forward to close the gap. It felt more "natural" than before.

My only complaint so far is the way the map grabs a tiny amount of unnecessary screen real estate when you put the car into drive, hiding most of the top icons. I often want to switch between music and trip displays or make a phone call and this now requires an additional tap on the map to cause the top icons to reappear. I have a feeling Tesla will wind up optioning this change though.

Reactions: championi
Updated at 1pm today and agree with @championi, like the new look a lot, I also like the new music player, sightly more intuitive, but better looking. On a drive this afternoon I did notice the subtle changes to the way the car will change speed with autopilot using the lever giving less abrupt speed changes which is nice. I found the when knocking the autopilot out with a slight touch of the brake pedal or by the lever, regen would kick in quickly making for a less smooth experience, it feels to me that's been improved in V8 and isn't the jolt like it was. Liking the new 3D vehicle graphics, but one thing I can't get to work is the round trip battery indicator. I liked having that info. I've toggled it on in settings, but not sure how to get it working.

I was wondered how the new map would work @Homer, but I have to say I don't mind it. Agree a toggle on or off would be a good way to go.

Notified of the update tonight- installed as soon as I got home about 8.00
-Just took it for a spin- agree with all above about Autopilot feeling more secure and confident, as my son said while riding along: it's like an L-plater has become a P-plater and learned to drive the car better. No truck-lust evident:)
-I can feel the increase in regen, I really like it.
-I reset the Trip B meter: re-labelled it as "Software v8.0", so hopefully I'll get a good idea if efficiency changes with the change in regen.
-But what made me really smile? The climate controls have gone back to the old setup! Hooray, I really preferred that so am very pleased overall. I don't remember anyone else mentioning this?
Look forward to trying it across the Bridge tomorrow...
PS audio sounded better to me too (USB source) but placebo effect likely to be even stronger for that than for the rest of my impressions!!
PPS really need the alphabetisation of USB songs back....

My car showed the update screen I click on the update now, kind of look like it locked up....screen went black...came back and then said successfully updates and synchronising (or something)....then just locked up (the time the screen went black for was only about 1min)....after sitting looking at the screen with nothing responding a rebooted...when the car booted up I was prompted to update again...tried in 5 times and finally the car announced the update was failing and promptly cleared off the update option....

What dah?

-ECIT

Just joined the V8 club with 2.40.21 also. No issues yet (but then I have only just sat in the car in the garage reading the what's new screen...)

To me the sound quality on the stereo has improved (but could just be imagining it).

You're not imagining it ... the sound quality is immensely better, plus the Dolby processing is now actually a nice effect - still an effect, but a much more musical effect.

I got v8.0 yesterday (10/10/2016). So far no obvious problems but I've yet to drive the updated car. I cannot see a way to adjust the default cabin temperture of 40C in dog mode from the touch screen. Is it possible and if so how ?
I'd prefer 37C or lower.

I got v8.0 yesterday (10/10/2016). So far no obvious problems but I've yet to drive the updated car. I cannot see a way to adjust the default cabin temperture of 40C in dog mode from the touch screen. Is it possible and if so how ?
I'd prefer 37C or lower.

IIRC Elon said that 8.1 will add the ability to set a max and min temperature that the car will keep between when parked up.

I recalled correctly: Elon Musk on Twitter

Reactions: bradjc