Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How different is the new Comfort Suspension (October 22 -) to the previous gen (prior to Oct 22 change)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
with the recent info about the Model Y LR and Performance receiving a new Comfort suspension starting with cars manufactured in Texas and Fremont starting October 22, I'm curious just how different the driving feel and comfort really are compared to earlier 22-made cars...

Reactions: Whatstreet
Upvote 0
I have an Austin-built MYLR that was made in 09/2022. I logged into my Tesla EPC account and searched for my VIN and can confirm that the suspension is different than older 2020 and 2021 models. I'm planning on meeting up with someone with an older Y to do a comparison.

Here's a screenshot of what I see when I pulled it up in EPC
1667700898384.png

Parts from older 2020/2021 models
1667700930314.png
How do I get to this page where I can see the part numbers for the suspension of my Tesla based on my Vin number.

Upvote 0
How do I get to a detailed page to see if I got newer suspension.
@RCHume I haven't seen a way to lookup actual factory installed parts by VIN. At least not with my free EPC account.

Heck for my older Tesla even the service staff don't have a trustworthy record of what parts it was built with. For any complicated requests they always have to take it in first and look at what's actually there.

I imagine that situation is better now for newer cars though.

My MYP rides pretty nice, way better than my buddies 2021 MYLR. Got my car September 1 and I have a feeling I have some kind of upgraded suspension. Love to be able to confirm that by pulling up the page that you had on yours!
@RCHume There's been many reports of that on these forums, going back to sometime around Q1 of 2022 from what I've noticed. Tesla probably revised the suspension tuning multiple times already, even before these latest changes.

You can see many of the damper parts have been updated many times, e.g. a -E suffix means 5th revision, -F means 6th revision, etc. Potentially multiple revisions could have the same basic tuning though (with some other difference warranting a new part revision).

Reactions: RCHume
Upvote 0
Definitely following this thread.
When I traded in my 2020 Model 3 LR for my 2022 Model Y Performance, if felt like a lateral move, the car was basically the same except now I had more space and a power trunk…despite the much larger wheels.
I would sure be interested in retrofitting a nicer suspension, like I put on the parcel shelf.
I’m too chicken to be the first to take the plunge and order parts though! ^_^

Upvote 0
Are the part numbers written on the struts like they are on German parts? I’ll have to get under my car and check. I’m not a noob to suspension service as I have completely rehauled the suspension on two BMW’s in the past in my home garage. :).

Upvote 0
How do I get to this page where I can see the part numbers for the suspension of my Tesla based on my Vin number.

You need a Tesla employee to do that. They will know (most likely) what parts were used on your VIN.

My Austin built MYLR (mid Sept) does not have the newest suspension even if the DriveTesla article thinks it should. It was only 4680 Ys built after that date.

Reactions: DrGriz
Upvote 0
For all of you looking to retrofit, when there are separate "AUSTIN" parts in the catalog, I recommend NOT buying the "AUSTIN" parts for a Fremont-built Y, and similarly avoiding non-"AUSTIN" parts for an Austin-built Y. There is some reason why a different part number is used for Austin, could be some mounting / dimensional / attachment difference. Even worse would be if the parts bolted right up but didn't actually function correctly for the chassis, e.g. damper stroke differences resulting in reaching bump stops too soon or too late.

Personally I would also wait for someone with a brand new Y that has the new comfortable suspension, built in the same factory as your (so same chassis), to confirm exactly what suspension parts they have incl. revision letters.

Of course it's your time and money and hassle if you end up buying incompatible or otherwise incorrect parts, do what you're comfortable with! That is just how I would go about this if I had a Y and wanted to do this swap. :)

Lastly, when you have your original suspension off of the car, I would examine and measure carefully for any dimensional differences, just in case. Though if your new parts are simply a newer revision (letter) of the same numerical part number, then they SHOULD be completely compatible. (keyword: "should" 😉)

Edit: It's very possible the "AUSTIN" parts are fully compatible with existing Fremont Model Y. I haven't seen anything in this thread yet to attest to that however. Someone needs to be the guinea pig and try it, and report back with all the details including testing full suspension articulation and bump stop engagement. If you're comfortable being that guinea pig and potentially being stuck with parts you bought but can't use, go for it! Just be aware of the risk.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are the part numbers written on the struts like they are on German parts? I’ll have to get under my car and check. I’m not a noob to suspension service as I have completely rehauled the suspension on two BMW’s in the past in my home garage. :).
I was able to get my iPhone into the rear wheel well of my 20222 MYP and get these pics.

Attachments

• 6C89CC5F-5E1C-4A11-AF42-F424D34B3A24.jpeg
    6C89CC5F-5E1C-4A11-AF42-F424D34B3A24.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 205
  • D70F142E-E688-49F1-A6BC-9666C38818CB.jpeg
    D70F142E-E688-49F1-A6BC-9666C38818CB.jpeg
    346.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 529BF000-2C4B-40A8-9B28-2740391EAE22.jpeg
    529BF000-2C4B-40A8-9B28-2740391EAE22.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 188
Upvote 0