Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How different is the new Comfort Suspension (October 22 -) to the previous gen (prior to Oct 22 change)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
with the recent info about the Model Y LR and Performance receiving a new Comfort suspension starting with cars manufactured in Texas and Fremont starting October 22, I'm curious just how different the driving feel and comfort really are compared to earlier 22-made cars...

Reactions: Whatstreet
You need a Tesla employee to do that. They will know (most likely) what parts were used on your VIN.

My Austin built MYLR (mid Sept) does not have the newest suspension even if the DriveTesla article thinks it should. It was only 4680 Ys built after that date.
I was able to pull this up on my late Aug MYP and it seems to show the rear dampener as being the new SKU number.

Attachments

• 2C52C91B-7644-4B21-8877-0BFD11C250E7.jpeg
    2C52C91B-7644-4B21-8877-0BFD11C250E7.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 354
  • Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
Upvote 0
So I was able to see a part that I have 1188465-00-E. Is that the old suspension or new??
I don’t know but I can see the last three numbers are higher than what was posted earlier for a 2021 model Y. I think I have partially new suspension, maybe not all the same parts and dampeners as the 2023‘s but it’s definitely a decent ride right now and better than my friends 2021 model Y.

• Informative
Reactions: CDrury and tm1v2
Upvote 0
Here’s a couple of pics I took for the rear and front struts of my Oct 2022 MYP. Not sure if they’re the “comfort suspension” components but the ride is really smooth imo.

If anybody has insight into this, or if someone has a 2023 MYP and could take similar shots, that would be awesome.

Front
5A8948DF-2F5C-4098-B1FD-A3ECABD5D8B9.jpeg

Rear
313BB023-0376-4995-B7AA-887B1928E965.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz and tm1v2
Upvote 0
My MYP was built in Fremont on Sept 29th and delivered 10.14 in Paramus, NJ. I confirmed I do not have the latest suspension, unfortunately.
That sucks, but now I guess you can choose the softer rev F LR dampers, then you can go soft spring big bar for comfort in the straights whilst still having stiffness in the corners. That would probably suit NY roads well. I mean, if you ever...

Reactions: CDrury
Upvote 0
Our ‘22 Model Y LR was delivered last June. We’re having the Redwood Performance GT Ohlins suspension installed on Monday. We’re looking forward to driving over less than perfect pavement and not having our teeth rattle.
Nice! Congrats. If you are able to, would you be able to take pics of the parts number stickers on the struts/dampeners of your car? Would be interested to see if they made any suspension modifications between June 22 cars and Oct 22 cars. Thx!

Upvote 0
I test drove a MYP at the Florida Mall grand opening of the superchargers there. VIN was 7SAYGDEF0PF588757 and I confirmed with two SAs that this car has the new suspension.

Below 15-20mph it was butter smooth like an ID.4 or Ioniq 5. That was instantly noticeable. Over that speed... it felt like a slightly softer MYLR. I still felt the microbumps over the unsmooth parking lot but I suspect I would have in my BMW i4 too. I drove my Austin 2022 MYLR to event so I had a direct comparison on the bumpy parking lot roads.

I never drove the MYP before so I had no idea if it was an improvement over the previous suspension. I can only compare it to the MYLRs and Model 3 RWD I've owned

If you do a lot of city driving over unsmooth pavement the new suspension is worth it. My driving is 80% highway through the city and honestly... I may skip the suspension upgrade. It didn't seem to be a major improvement at speeds around 40-60mph

Upvote 2
I test drove a MYP at the Florida Mall grand opening of the superchargers there. VIN was 7SAYGDEF0PF588757 and I confirmed with two SAs that this car has the new suspension.

Below 15-20mph it was butter smooth like an ID.4 or Ioniq 5. That was instantly noticeable. Over that speed... it felt like a slightly softer MYLR. I still felt the microbumps over the unsmooth parking lot but I suspect I would have in my BMW i4 too. I drove my Austin 2022 MYLR to event so I had a direct comparison on the bumpy parking lot roads.

I never drove the MYP before so I had no idea if it was an improvement over the previous suspension. I can only compare it to the MYLRs and Model 3 RWD I've owned

If you do a lot of city driving over unsmooth pavement the new suspension is worth it. My driving is 80% highway through the city and honestly... I may skip the suspension upgrade. It didn't seem to be a major improvement at speeds around 40-60mph

Upvote 0

This is great news. My biggest complaint is driving over local uneven roads with cracks, and poorly filled in potholes.

Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
For all of you looking to retrofit, when there are separate "AUSTIN" parts in the catalog, I recommend NOT buying the "AUSTIN" parts for a Fremont-built Y, and similarly avoiding non-"AUSTIN" parts for an Austin-built Y. There is some reason why a different part number is used for Austin, could be some mounting / dimensional / attachment difference. Even worse would be if the parts bolted right up but didn't actually function correctly for the chassis, e.g. damper stroke differences resulting in reaching bump stops too soon or too late.

Personally I would also wait for someone with a brand new Y that has the new comfortable suspension, built in the same factory as your (so same chassis), to confirm exactly what suspension parts they have incl. revision letters.

Of course it's your time and money and hassle if you end up buying incompatible or otherwise incorrect parts, do what you're comfortable with! That is just how I would go about this if I had a Y and wanted to do this swap. :)

Lastly, when you have your original suspension off of the car, I would examine and measure carefully for any dimensional differences, just in case. Though if your new parts are simply a newer revision (letter) of the same numerical part number, then they SHOULD be completely compatible. (keyword: "should" 😉)

Edit: It's very possible the "AUSTIN" parts are fully compatible with existing Fremont Model Y. I haven't seen anything in this thread yet to attest to that however. Someone needs to be the guinea pig and try it, and report back with all the details including testing full suspension articulation and bump stop engagement. If you're comfortable being that guinea pig and potentially being stuck with parts you bought but can't use, go for it! Just be aware of the risk.
Could it be possible that the single casting is what is being shipped from Austin and hence the Dampers fitment may be different? Not sure - Just guessing.

Upvote 0
Nice! Congrats. If you are able to, would you be able to take pics of the parts number stickers on the struts/dampeners of your car? Would be interested to see if they made any suspension modifications between June 22 cars and Oct 22 cars. Thx!
Sure. My car was manufactured in May ‘22 and delivered early June.

Attachments

• 51D9309A-A40C-4E29-B415-07DB445757A9.jpeg
    51D9309A-A40C-4E29-B415-07DB445757A9.jpeg
    463 KB · Views: 151
  • A4060F07-BF25-4E95-B59F-45AB6DF90DA4.jpeg
    A4060F07-BF25-4E95-B59F-45AB6DF90DA4.jpeg
    422.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 692E6BF7-46D0-4517-BAF7-F0DF318388BE.jpeg
    692E6BF7-46D0-4517-BAF7-F0DF318388BE.jpeg
    450.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 20F86BD4-2F04-4415-81CE-DD8029148CCE.jpeg
    20F86BD4-2F04-4415-81CE-DD8029148CCE.jpeg