Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How different is the new Comfort Suspension (October 22 -) to the previous gen (prior to Oct 22 change)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
with the recent info about the Model Y LR and Performance receiving a new Comfort suspension starting with cars manufactured in Texas and Fremont starting October 22, I'm curious just how different the driving feel and comfort really are compared to earlier 22-made cars...

Reactions: Whatstreet
Just made a service appointment for retrofitting the new comfort suspension on my 2020 Y, and got as response that there are no retrofit options available at the moment.
That was expected. It's a major warranty issue for Tesla to put MY22 parts on a MY20. Unless Tesla comes out with an upgrade package, blessed by Legal, your best bet will be buying the parts yourself and going to a tuner shop that understands Tesla. Your warranty will no longer support the suspension or any damage caused by the new parts.

Upvote 0
I test drove a MYP at the Florida Mall grand opening of the superchargers there. VIN was 7SAYGDEF0PF588757 and I confirmed with two SAs that this car has the new suspension.

Below 15-20mph it was butter smooth like an ID.4 or Ioniq 5. That was instantly noticeable. Over that speed... it felt like a slightly softer MYLR. I still felt the microbumps over the unsmooth parking lot but I suspect I would have in my BMW i4 too. I drove my Austin 2022 MYLR to event so I had a direct comparison on the bumpy parking lot roads.

I never drove the MYP before so I had no idea if it was an improvement over the previous suspension. I can only compare it to the MYLRs and Model 3 RWD I've owned

If you do a lot of city driving over unsmooth pavement the new suspension is worth it. My driving is 80% highway through the city and honestly... I may skip the suspension upgrade. It didn't seem to be a major improvement at speeds around 40-60mph
@voxel Thanks for the detailed report from back-to-back driving. If I recall correctly from my 2021 MYLR test drive a year ago, low speeds is where the suspension felt its worst and busiest. So I'm glad to hear that's where the new suspension is most improved.

We do a lot of city / urban driving so the Y's low speed busyness was a deadbreaker to me, combined with the excessive highway wind noise of the specimen we tested. Bad ride at low speeds + bad noise at high speeds meant I didn't enjoy the car anywhere, even though I liked basically everything else about it!

Upvote 0
That was expected. It's a major warranty issue for Tesla to put MY22 parts on a MY20. Unless Tesla comes out with an upgrade package, blessed by Legal, your best bet will be buying the parts yourself and going to a tuner shop that understands Tesla. Your warranty will no longer support the suspension or any damage caused by the new parts.
Yes though it's pretty annoying as I would have been willing to spend some money on this. I'm sure MPP coilovers would be nicer but would likely cost around $5K including installation.

Reactions: Snow Drift
Upvote 0
@voxel Thanks for the detailed report from back-to-back driving. If I recall correctly from my 2021 MYLR test drive a year ago, low speeds is where the suspension felt its worst and busiest. So I'm glad to hear that's where the new suspension is most improved.

We do a lot of city / urban driving so the Y's low speed busyness was a deadbreaker to me, combined with the excessive highway wind noise of the specimen we tested. Bad ride at low speeds + bad noise at high speeds meant I didn't enjoy the car anywhere, even though I liked basically everything else about it!

Then you would love it. For me... the more comfortable low speed suspension is a nicety but I WANT a 360 camera! lol. The removal of USS and no 360 camera basically means no way would I buy a 2023 Y.

Reactions: ord3r
Upvote 0
I test drove a MYP at the Florida Mall grand opening of the superchargers there. VIN was 7SAYGDEF0PF588757 and I confirmed with two SAs that this car has the new suspension.

Below 15-20mph it was butter smooth like an ID.4 or Ioniq 5. That was instantly noticeable. Over that speed... it felt like a slightly softer MYLR. I still felt the microbumps over the unsmooth parking lot but I suspect I would have in my BMW i4 too. I drove my Austin 2022 MYLR to event so I had a direct comparison on the bumpy parking lot roads.

I never drove the MYP before so I had no idea if it was an improvement over the previous suspension. I can only compare it to the MYLRs and Model 3 RWD I've owned

If you do a lot of city driving over unsmooth pavement the new suspension is worth it. My driving is 80% highway through the city and honestly... I may skip the suspension upgrade. It didn't seem to be a major improvement at speeds around 40-60mph
Very encouraging. If it improves the MYP that much, I'm curious about it's affect on the MYLR.

Upvote 0
Then you would love it. For me... the more comfortable low speed suspension is a nicety but I WANT a 360 camera! lol. The removal of USS and no 360 camera basically means no way would I buy a 2023 Y.
this just feels like range anxiety translated to feature fantasy.
I can't see it making any difference for real world activities (assuming the cameras get implemented well over time)
USS works well as an assist but I'm still capable of depth perception at my advanced age, so it's just an assist, not a deal breaker.

Upvote 0
That was expected. It's a major warranty issue for Tesla to put MY22 parts on a MY20.
What makes you say that? Assuming the chassis wasn't changed, the new suspension should just be a bolt-on swap.
Warranties are simple for parts installed at the service center - they have all the records, as well as the training to install the parts properly. And they are all factory parts being used.

Upvote 0
What makes you say that? Assuming the chassis wasn't changed, the new suspension should just be a bolt-on swap.
Warranties are simple for parts installed at the service center - they have all the records, as well as the training to install the parts properly. And they are all factory parts being used.
Your warranty covers the parts included with the car when purchased and officially approved/installed by Tesla. The new suspension was not designed for any older models. The Service Center will not install a part that their computer system doesn't say is approved for your VIN. Regardless if it fits, Tesla would not want to cover the legal costs or warranty claims in case there is a mechanical issue/accident in the future. Their Legal/Accounting department would have to bless an "upgrade" package offered on Shop Tesla. Until that happens, this would be considered a modification, and not covered.

• Disagree
Reactions: thesmokingman
Upvote 0
Your warranty covers the parts included with the car when purchased and officially approved/installed by Tesla. The new suspension was not designed for any older models. The Service Center will not install a part that their computer system doesn't say is approved for your VIN. Regardless if it fits, Tesla would not want to cover the legal costs or warranty claims in case there is a mechanical issue/accident in the future. Their Legal/Accounting department would have to bless an "upgrade" package offered on Shop Tesla. Until that happens, this would be considered a modification, and not covered.
how do you know that the 'new suspension' is completely redesigned ?
I find that unlikely at best, and it would have been voluminously hyped by all the internet fishbait mongers Tesla 'leaks' to.
Further, Service Centers have been accepting orders for the new components according to posts on this site.

Some refinements to strengthen the wishbone knuckle area have been made but the geometry remains the same.
The updated shocks and springs should fit at least 21 and 22 MYLR. 2020 MYLR unknown.

Upvote 0
You're making *sugar* up with these assumptions.

Upvote 0
There are two issues-(1) will it fit older MY;s w/o any additions or modification - This we will only know if someone has a practical experience doing it eitheir at Tesla or at a private shop. ( 2) Warranty - will the modification void the existing warranty- No way of knowing till someone changes it to the newer suspension parts and has to deal with warranty issue with Tesla.
At this point in time I am not sure if Tesla will sell you the parts if you have an older Model Y .

Upvote 0
There are two issues-(1) will it fit older MY;s w/o any additions or modification - This we will only know if someone has a practical experience doing it eitheir at Tesla or at a private shop. ( 2) Warranty - will the modification void the existing warranty- No way of knowing till someone changes it to the newer suspension parts and has to deal with warranty issue with Tesla.
At this point in time I am not sure if Tesla will sell you the parts if you have an older Model Y .
How many times...? Look in the parts catalog, the dampers are superseded by the latest revision.

Reactions: tangible1
Upvote 0
how do you know that the 'new suspension' is completely redesigned ?
I find that unlikely at best, and it would have been voluminously hyped by all the internet fishbait mongers Tesla 'leaks' to.
Further, Service Centers have been accepting orders for the new components according to posts on this site.

Some refinements to strengthen the wishbone knuckle area have been made but the geometry remains the same.
The updated shocks and springs should fit at least 21 and 22 MYLR. 2020 MYLR unknown.
We don't know if the new suspension is different, or incompatible. It might be 100% plug and play, but that doesn't mean Tesla would offer it as an official upgrade to older models. If they Tesla doesn't sell it, it is a modification, and not covered under warranty.

The request to install was denied in this thread...

Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 4.17.25 PM.png

Upvote 0
Mostly because the parts are not yet available for aftermarket sale.
Tesla needs what they've got for new production.
I would expect that to be the case for several months yet.
So, today, it would be a modification. If you found the suspension parts for sale, and installed them, they won't cover it under warranty. Tesla has to approve the parts, for your model year, first.

Upvote 0
You're making *sugar* up with these assumptions.
What am I making up? All car companies deny warranty claims for modifications. Using a 23 MY part on a 20 MY, when not approved by Tesla, is a modification. There may or may not be other changes, and if there is an accident or malfunction, Tesla would claim to not be responsible.

Upvote 0
So, today, it would be a modification. If you found the suspension parts for sale, and installed them, they won't cover it under warranty. Tesla has to approve the parts, for your model year, first.
Warranty is beside the point if you can't get the parts.
And coverage for infinitesimal failure rates? There's a 90 day on parts regardless.
this is all minutiae.

Upvote 0
Warranty is beside the point if you can't get the parts.
And coverage for infinitesimal failure rates? There's a 90 day on parts regardless.
this is all minutiae.
?

The guy asked why I said "That was expected," after his request was denied by Tesla. The whole reason is because of warranty issues. The Service Center can't do work that isn't approved by Tesla. Their work is warrantied by Tesla. They didn't say, we are out of stock, they said there's no retrofit available.

• Funny
Reactions: tangible1
Upvote 0