Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How different is the new Comfort Suspension (October 22 -) to the previous gen (prior to Oct 22 change)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
with the recent info about the Model Y LR and Performance receiving a new Comfort suspension starting with cars manufactured in Texas and Fremont starting October 22, I'm curious just how different the driving feel and comfort really are compared to earlier 22-made cars...

Reactions: Whatstreet
For god's sake, can someone make an effort and create some good visualization of how the suspension of MY over the years actually feels like on different roads?

Not only that feeling of suspension is dependant on so many variables like different parts used in assembly, tires, tires air pressure, tires and wheels condition, temperature, road texture, speed, additional weight of the car, age of the car (springs and rubber are affected), etc ... on top of that so many descriptions, it feels mostly creates a confusion and not pinpointing the issue, IMO.
And don't forget the people with all their opinions!

Upvote 0
I am going to test drive a Y LR this weekend. Unfortunately they do not have a Y Performance to try. I am still on the fence which model to purchase as the older Y Performance ride quality was sport car firm (OK on good roads but not for New England roads) but I really liked the Zippyness of the drive train. Hard to compare driving one model at a time. 1rst world problems.....

Upvote 0
For god's sake, can someone make an effort and create some good visualization of how the suspension of MY over the years actually feels like on different roads?

Not only that feeling of suspension is dependant on so many variables like different parts used in assembly, tires, tires air pressure, tires and wheels condition, temperature, road texture, speed, additional weight of the car, age of the car (springs and rubber are affected), etc ... on top of that so many descriptions, it feels mostly creates a confusion and not pinpointing the issue, IMO.
given that suspension quality is entirely subjective......
given that there are no spring rate / compression + rebound damper rate DATA....
what you're asking is a little bit unobtanium.

Upvote 0
Here is my MYAWD built on 2/19 in case people are wondering, i'm still getting the Redwood Motorsports Ohlin GT's in a few weeks when they come in, I'll post these for sale in the marketplace then.

Attachments

• IMG_0071.jpeg
    IMG_0071.jpeg
    274.7 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0070.jpeg
    IMG_0070.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0068.jpeg
    IMG_0068.jpeg
    378.7 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 0
I picked up my red/black MYP this morning. I have to say this new comfort suspension is night and day better than what came on my wife’s blue MYLR back in June of last year. We replaced the suspension on that one with Redwood’s GT Ohlins setup. I’m almost ready to say I prefer the OEM MYP suspension over the Ohlins. But I want to get a few more miles on it before I announce that judgment. I was sure I’d want to at least replace the 21” Uberturbines with something smaller, but now I’m thinking there’s no need.
I would like a little more sidewall bulge to protect the rims. Maybe 265/40 in front and 295/40 in the rear.

Upvote 0
Even with 18s the ride will be worse than the 3.
Just sold my 2018 RWD M3 and having driven 57k miles with that car and going to the Y I was initially surprised by how the large bumps were more damped but the small stuff much more busy, I put 275/40/20 DWS06 tires on with a 106 load range vs. stock 101, I was able to run 36 psi while still increasing my load range over stock tires, ride is night and day better and much better than my 3.

Upvote 0
Just sold my 2018 RWD M3 and having driven 57k miles with that car and going to the Y I was initially surprised by how the large bumps were more damped but the small stuff much more busy, I put 275/40/20 DWS06 tires on with a 106 load range vs. stock 101, I was able to run 36 psi while still increasing my load range over stock tires, ride is night and day better and much better than my 3.
Glad to hear. I know early M3s had rough suspension, but I can't recall when they fixed it. I think newer M3s would have a better ride that newer MYs. Of course, the Ys suspension was updated to mixed reviews, so YMMV. Personal opinion varies as well.

My 2022 MY suspension is not as comfortable as the 2020 M3 we test drove. After spring break I plan on installing MPP Comfort Coils.

Upvote 0
Glad to hear. I know early M3s had rough suspension, but I can't recall when they fixed it. I think newer M3s would have a better ride that newer MYs. Of course, the Ys suspension was updated to mixed reviews, so YMMV. Personal opinion varies as well.

My 2022 MY suspension is not as comfortable as the 2020 M3 we test drove. After spring break I plan on installing MPP Comfort Coils.
I have a friend who just got a SR model 3 so i will have to check that out, my old 2018 3 is the only one I have ever driven.

Upvote 0
I received my 2023 MYP at beginning of March, when I took delivery I noticed a scratch on the front bumper and I was told to bring it back for repair at a later date. I dropped my car off few days ago and received a 2020 MYP loaner. Loaner has around 28K miles, but the suspension is night and day different compared to my 2023 MYP! The 2020 is very bumpy and you can feel the unevenness of the road. My wife and kids complained of how rough it was, without me mentioning anything. On the freeway, the ride is almost unbearable and too bouncy, my god! They have done huge improvements to the suspension and I cant wait to get my ride back.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
Upvote 0
Anyone able to get SC to upgrade comfort suspension yet & how much did it cost or they're still saying no?
I haven't heard of anyone getting the SC to do this. I believe front damper assemblies the F revision is the comfort suspension. The two fronts are approximately $700. Not sure the cost for the rears. I also don't know if any of the other suspension parts are changed.

According to MPP all Tesla did with the performance is to fit a shorter spring. MPP says on the P model bump stops area engaged all the time.

Unless someone knows exactly what was changed it's a risk trying to fit those parts. If the only change is in the damper assemblies then it should be easy.

Upvote 0
I haven't heard of anyone getting the SC to do this. I believe front damper assemblies the F revision is the comfort suspension. The two fronts are approximately $700. Not sure the cost for the rears. I also don't know if any of the other suspension parts are changed.

According to MPP all Tesla did with the performance is to fit a shorter spring. MPP says on the P model bump stops area engaged all the time.

Unless someone knows exactly what was changed it's a risk trying to fit those parts. If the only change is in the damper assemblies then it should be easy.
Somebody reported success today, I am thinking about it but will try and test drive a 23LR to see what the real difference is vs my early 22LR

Reactions: DrGriz
Upvote 0
Hi all!
How difficult and/or expensive would it be to change the Performance suspension back to the regular LR, basically removing the lowering of the performance.
Is that easily being done?

Thanks for any input!
I am waiting for my order, and there is a matching performance available. I just can't have the lowered suspension, as I am living at the end of a gravel road.

Upvote 0
Hi all!
How difficult and/or expensive would it be to change the Performance suspension back to the regular LR, basically removing the lowering of the performance.
Is that easily being done?

Thanks for any input!
I am waiting for my order, and there is a matching performance available. I just can't have the lowered suspension, as I am living at the end of a gravel road.
Test it. The PMY suspension is ~1.1cm lower (0.43 inches lower, less than half an inch lower.) Early on, reports that the PMY suspension was 1 inch lower than the LRMY were incorrect.

Upvote 0