Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How difficult is the white interior to maintain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

holmgang

Sep 9, 2019
eu
I don't take a garage-queen approach to vehicles. I'll eat in the car. I wear denim. I'll transport 2-legged and 4-legged animals in it.

Does the white hold up long term, or does it take to marks and coloration quite easily?

im not sure why anyone would expect a white interior anything to "hold up" to 4 legged animals in it, if you dont take any precautions.

Also, very few car interiors or other fabrics do well with "raw" denim. Wearing jeans is not a problem. Wearing raw denim jeans would definitely be a problem, but not just with tesla interiors. Im not into raw denim at all, too expensive and too much chance of dye bleed... but demin heads love them.

If it makes you feel any better, I have the black interior and find that I’m constantly trying to keep it clean. It shows every little scuff mark from my shoes. But even worse, if I’m wearing sunscreen anywhere on my body it rubs onto the seats and the steering wheel and I have to scrub it off with Clorox wipes.

A family member has a white/white SR. It still looks great but he has no kids and wipes down any dirt and scuff marks immediately. The material is fairly easy to keep clean but you do need to be careful with anything that could potentially create a stain that is hard to remove. He does wear jeans though and so far no denim color has rubbed off onto the seats.

If it makes you feel any better, I have the black interior and find that I’m constantly trying to keep it clean. It shows every little scuff mark from my shoes. But even worse, if I’m wearing sunscreen anywhere on my body it rubs onto the seats and the steering wheel and I have to scrub it off with Clorox wipes.

A family member has a white/white SR. It still looks great but he has no kids and wipes down any dirt and scuff marks immediately. The material is fairly easy to keep clean but you do need to be careful with anything that could potentially create a stain that is hard to remove. He does wear jeans though and so far no denim color has rubbed off onto the seats.

Regular denim doesnt tend to bleed a lot... raw denim does (a lot)... if someone is wearing $100 jeans, and they are raw denim, there is a good chance they will bleed all over these and any other seats. A dog is also (in general) a mess maker, just like a child tends to be, in a car. without some sort of protection / cover, scratches will look worse on white interior rather than black. The white interior looks better, but I personally dont think it will look the way it does on delivery for very long, especially if someone has dogs etc they cart around.

I haven't put pets in my car but I have a 6 year old in booster seat with no protection underneath. Seats look great 6 months in, I wipe them down with baby wipes occasionally. Really the only thing I've noticed that I haven't gotten clean yet is the rear seatbelts have left black marks on the tops of the rear seats. Haven't tried anything besides baby wipes though. Overall I'm very impressed with the white and happy I got it over black.

I have a white interior, and the black armrests/handles are actually harder to keep clean. Smudges show more. Like another poster above, sunscreen is a pain on the black material, as could be lotions, grease, etc.
+2. Even after a short time of ownership I see the center armrest effected by sweat, scratching, spills, etc... The white "synthetic" material has fantastic wear properties and cleans so easily since it's not leather. Tesla recommends white and I recommend white as it looks very modern and will not fade and crack like true leather.

I haven't put pets in my car but I have a 6 year old in booster seat with no protection underneath. Seats look great 6 months in, I wipe them down with baby wipes occasionally. Really the only thing I've noticed that I haven't gotten clean yet is the rear seatbelts have left black marks on the tops of the rear seats. Haven't tried anything besides baby wipes though. Overall I'm very impressed with the white and happy I got it over black.
Unfortunately the seatbelt staining is a known issue. I tucked my rear belts behind the folding seats since we rarely have rear passengers.

My white interior is perfect after a year plus and 17,000 miles. My car was actually a dealer demo with 6,000 miles on it, and no issues on the white interior. I eat in the car, I wear denim, and I've had my friend's French bulldog in the car. I vacuum it (or take it to a car wash where they vacuum it) every couple of weeks, and other than that I've only needed a damp sponge a couple of times to clean it. One time, I wore a brand new pair of unwashed jeans, and they left some blue on the seat, but that came right off with the damp sponge. Never heard of "raw denim" so I can't comment on that.

I'm skeptical that scratches (if you ever got them) would show more on the white than on the black. The opposite seems true to me. Still, I would be reluctant to have a large dog in the backseat with no protection of the seats, but that would be true for me with any leather or faux-leather surface, regardless of color.

I just checked and do not have any staining from the seat belts.

• Informative
Reactions: holmgang
I’ve had no problems at all with my white interior. I keep some Baby Wipes (Aqua Pure) in the glove box. A quick wipe down and they are like new. As others have said I have more issues keeping the black window sills clean and the center console. I don’t wear sunscreen but perspiration and such start to show. Again a quick wipe with the baby wipes and it’s like new.

Unfortunately the seatbelt staining is a known issue. I tucked my rear belts behind the folding seats since we rarely have rear passengers.
My car was left out in the sun for 7 weeks at service and now the seatbelts have stained the seat backs as well and it won't come off... I guess when they said 'rigorous standards for durability and stain resistance.' they didn't test with their seat belts, eh? Just opened a service request to fix this. Ugh.
2019-09-28 10.52.08.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: superfunk